• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] New to fishing, templates question

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello

I just upgraded my account with high seas and I need some help creating templates for my fishers.
I would like to have 2 different chars, one that will be a dungeon fisher with no fighting skill, the other a pirate hunter.
The templates can be though with 720 skill and 255 stats

The first, stealth fisher who'll dungeon fish , the idea is to sometimes switch between fishing and stealing to be able to also steal from dungeons.

The basics would be:
Fishing/stealing 120
hiding 100
stealth 120

After that is where I'm wondering. I though about a bard/stealth template adding :
Music 120
Peace 120 (good for crowd control if detected until I can hide again)
Chiv (to heal, cure, remove curses and travel) just high enough to never fail at sacred journey, 80 maybe ? or higher ?
And what is left maybe in focus to regenerate mana/stamina. It could also be med but then I wouldn't have stamina regen and would need a medable suit.
Though for stealth I would be better off with a good leather suit anyway I guess ? If so, it's just a choice between having a little mana and stamina regen versus having somewhat better mana regen but no stamina regen at all.

But then I was wondering if I shouldn't have ninjitsu in this template ? But I don't know where to fit it, how high raise it ?
I also was thinking about using an elf for this char as they are harder to detect and get more special resources. But does the resource ability apply to special fishes or just ores and lumber ?

And witch stats should go with this template ?

The other template I would use for pirate hunting/ fishing MIBS, SOS and any other fishing that will spawn mobs.
Ideally I would switch fishing with cartography so I could use the same char as treasure hunter.

I have an elf archer that I was putting together 3 years ago but never finished, I didn't really get into it. So if I could somewhat recycle her it would be nice. She was supposed to be an ABC archer so she has
Archery (ate the 120 scroll)
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Chivalery
Bushido.

If I just remove bushido to add fishing, would she be strong enough ? And then, for T-hunting I would just switch fishing and cartography, the lockpicking can be done home by another char or should I fit it there also ?
Something else I should change to have a decent solo pirate/T Hunter?
And what about stats ?

Otherwise I was about to create a gargoyle for imbuing purposes, I wanted a mystic/thrower with imbuing (120).
Could this char fit the fishing/cartography(lockpicking) ? And how ?

Any other good template you can recommend ?

Thanks very much for all the help and advice you can give me !

Jeza

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey there, welcome to the honorable order of fishermateys!

I've been using a roleplay build for my fisherman, just Swords/Tactics/Healing so he can wave a cutlass about, and the only Dungeon fishing location so far that I've not been able to kite the mobs off, invis and then come back and fish quietly in is the Prism Of Light; I have every fish from every where else so far, and can get to the Lobsters/Crabs too (I'm working on those now).

Stealth will help with certain areas that are hard to get to easily (Terathan Keep, Twisted Weald) and that's what my fisher-friend went for, but I've not needed it. I wouldn't recommend a barding skill as such, as remember that both that and stealth/fishing use the same skill timer as provoke, so you won't be able to fish as often, and what's more you really don't want surviving mobs near you as they'll stop you fishing too; remember for the Legendary, even if you've got bait, you're looking at HOURS of sitting there fishing, the Seeker fish in Labyrinth took me about 16 hours to get.

On top of this, if you're crab fishing, you'll need pack horses to carry a few hundred traps for those and the resulting crabs (for the fishing quests); again, mobs nearby are likely to kill your horses, so it makes more sense to simply lure them off to give you space than trying to fight them; barding requires two mobs nearby, anything you kill will respawn and is likely to target your horses, and if you're in Twisted Weald, Labyrinth or somewhere equally deadly those mobs are going to be exceptionally hard.

Also, if you are using bait, you'll want to be swapping out to the Fishing suit to improve it's chances of working... it doesn't seem to make much difference, but with the Legendary odds, it's worth trying!

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks you Adol for your advice :)

I hadn't though about the traps I would have to carry, I just was thinking about the fish I would find and using bags of sending to avoid the need of a pack horse or beetle. :rolleyes:
So stealth becomes quite useless.... It's a shame really, I liked that template.

Regarding the barding skills, you'er right about provocation, but I was thinking about peace ;) . It's very useful in that kind of situation (have it on my tamer). You don't have a timer when you area peace, and at 120 you can area peace almost any mob (except the very seldom ones that don't respond at all to barding skills).
You area peace and hide. It's more the hiding timer that prevents you from using peace again when you're discovered that bothers me. I though using stealth would help with that as it reduces the timer. Of course I could use the invis from magery but then it's longer to cast invisibility than just hiding and that brings the need for a 100% LRC and a template with magery is more mana consuming, so more int, more MR or high level of meditation needed.

Anyway the idea was to stealth to find a safe spot to fish, and if a mob spots me or is near my fishing spot, I lure it away and peace+invis to break the aggro when needed.

So my template could be valid (peace stealth fisher) but I won't be able to get the crabs and lobster. It's like a half fisher in a way :(

How do you use your template ? How can you manage to lure the spawn away, I mean once you got them away from the place you want to fish in, how do you get them to break aggro and stay put ?

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To break aggro, I just use Invisibility from Magery; stay still a second and then bolt past them again to where I want to fish, and invisible a second time. You'll have a few seconds of grace before they aggro to you, and if you cast Protection/Arch Protection on yourself they can't interupt your casting. I've not much experience with Stealth, but that may also work, as long as you get out of aggro range and then break their line of sight they won't come back to you...If you're worried about squeezing magery on the template, remember it costs less skill to cast from an Invisibilty scroll than from a spellbook though.

Regarding traps, you don't need to take them unless you're after the Legendary crustaceans too;it doesn't make you less of a fisherman :p But you can get Packhorses to where you stealth in most cases by using pet summoning balls... you'll still have to keep the spawn off them however.

I would recommend you simply go with what you fancy for now, and see how well you can get to the fishing spots for the rarer fish... I'm only saying what works for me, but some people are more comfortable with other styles of play ;)

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the primary consideration is this:

..... remember for the Legendary, even if you've got bait, you're looking at HOURS of sitting there fishing, the Seeker fish in Labyrinth took me about 16 hours to get....
My primary bard is 4x120 and even with the Virtuoso Suit, he fails regularly on provokes of many of the new critters in the revamped dungeons. The key, as Adol has mentioned, is that you will have to sit there and fish for hours on end - and that means you must be visible for virtually all of that time. So you either have to find places to fish that are "out of site" of mobs - or - you have to be successful (as Adol has also mentioned) in kiting the mobs away from the area. Having Stealth can certainly help you get TO almost any area, but that's about it. But, then again, that's a lot in many dungeon situations. It will also be quite valuable when you want to simply Stealth up to a chest and quickly loot it. Having Music/Peace will keep you alive in many situations, and being able to cast Invis is often needed when you can't hide because you're still "seen" and when you can't wait for the "skill timer" to lapse.

You're not out to "fight" the mobs, you're out to "outsmart" them. I'd use Fishing/Lockpicking/Stealing/Stealth/Magery/Music/Peace and have some fun... If you use a Pet Ball of Summoning you can leave a "loaded" beetle at home, then "summon" it when you're in place. If you're worried about the beetle dying, then just drop the traps on the ground and log out/back in - traps there, beetle back in stable.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If you're worried about the beetle dying, then just drop the traps on the ground and log out/back in - traps there, beetle back in stable.
Ummm, nah. When you log back in beetle will be right there with ya. The only time it auto stables is when ya are dead.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ummm, nah. When you log back in beetle will be right there with ya. The only time it auto stables is when ya are dead.
You're right of course, Kylie.... Brain fart - sorry.

So it has to be there with you... When in danger, just jump on it and do the hide/invis thing...

Last edited:

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i fish with a tamer stealth havnt done any dungeons though just off from boat use a dread to kill what i fish up works well
if i remade i would probably go mystic less time skill invested plus can do most peerless :)

Hello

I just upgraded my account with high seas and I need some help creating templates for my fishers.
I would like to have 2 different chars, one that will be a dungeon fisher with no fighting skill, the other a pirate hunter.
The templates can be though with 720 skill and 255 stats

The first, stealth fisher who'll dungeon fish , the idea is to sometimes switch between fishing and stealing to be able to also steal from dungeons.

The basics would be:
Fishing/stealing 120
hiding 100
stealth 120

After that is where I'm wondering. I though about a bard/stealth template adding :
Music 120
Peace 120 (good for crowd control if detected until I can hide again)
Chiv (to heal, cure, remove curses and travel) just high enough to never fail at sacred journey, 80 maybe ? or higher ?
And what is left maybe in focus to regenerate mana/stamina. It could also be med but then I wouldn't have stamina regen and would need a medable suit.
Though for stealth I would be better off with a good leather suit anyway I guess ? If so, it's just a choice between having a little mana and stamina regen versus having somewhat better mana regen but no stamina regen at all.

But then I was wondering if I shouldn't have ninjitsu in this template ? But I don't know where to fit it, how high raise it ?
I also was thinking about using an elf for this char as they are harder to detect and get more special resources. But does the resource ability apply to special fishes or just ores and lumber ?

And witch stats should go with this template ?

The other template I would use for pirate hunting/ fishing MIBS, SOS and any other fishing that will spawn mobs.
Ideally I would switch fishing with cartography so I could use the same char as treasure hunter.

I have an elf archer that I was putting together 3 years ago but never finished, I didn't really get into it. So if I could somewhat recycle her it would be nice. She was supposed to be an ABC archer so she has
Archery (ate the 120 scroll)
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Chivalery
Bushido.

If I just remove bushido to add fishing, would she be strong enough ? And then, for T-hunting I would just switch fishing and cartography, the lockpicking can be done home by another char or should I fit it there also ?
Something else I should change to have a decent solo pirate/T Hunter?
And what about stats ?

Otherwise I was about to create a gargoyle for imbuing purposes, I wanted a mystic/thrower with imbuing (120).
Could this char fit the fishing/cartography(lockpicking) ? And how ?

Any other good template you can recommend ?

Thanks very much for all the help and advice you can give me !

Jeza

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to all of you for the very good advices :)

I'll try the stealth/peace with magery for my non fighting dungeon fisher/thief, it seems safe and funny enough. Lucky me my tamer has music peace so I won't have to raise those skills, I just love soulstones !

For the boat fishing/pirate hunter, I think I'll go with the mystic idea, I wanted a mystic thrower anyway, so it's a skill I'll definitively raise and use. Maybe my mystic thrower could swap anatomy for fishing. Less damage that way but I can rely on colossus for that so it should work nicely.