• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New to FFxi Online . NEED HELP ON CONTROLS!

V

Varsas

ok so i just Downloaded and installed FFxi online .. free trial.

So far im having a horrible time trying to play. every time i click it bring up some i guess character menu for ability's. I cant find anything to bring up a Options menu for like editing graphics or anything. Cant walk with WASD and cant find a a exit option or logg out of the game option.

Can anyone help me on this?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Default uses your number pad for walking, and the arrow keys to change your view. the "-" key on the numberpad will bring up your menu.

V

Varsas

is there other options to choose from to switching controls over

V

Varsas

is this section of the forum dead or is everyone scared to chat?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Under Config > Misc.2 you can change the keyboard from full-size to compact. Beyond that, I don't know how to change the keys. Sorry, I must've missed your question the other day =\

V

Varsas

No worrys xD

I also got 1 more question.

So i already quit ffxi. just dosent seem to good for PC to me.

But i heard you can play that on your. Xbox, Can you play it on Ps3 as well?

If the answer to any of the 2 is yes then..

__

Is it alot easier to play on the gaming console then online?

The graphics seemed. well.. pretty gay D:.. Are they any different on the gaming console?

Do people who play ffxi Preffer playing it on a PC. Or Gaming system

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only way you can play on the PS3 is if you have the PS2 software and one of the old "backwards compatible" PS3 units. It may just be the first generation of PS3s that were made and no further. I'm not exactly sure about that.

My hubby plays on 360 and loves it. When he got the "three rings" and had to mail it in for repairs, we bought a PS3 (one of those backwards compatible ones I mentioned earlier). He played on that but didn't like it so well, probably because he was so used to the 360 *shrug*. Regardless, when he plays on PC he dislikes it greatly. Not the graphics.. that is probably just you not having the settings right. My little 1024X768 window on my PC looks better than my hubby's fullscreen on a 42" plasma.

People who have played other online games seem to dislike the way the menus work. Since this is the only "real" online game I've played, it's what I know and I like it. I can tell you that every friend I've made that left FFXI for WoW came back to FFXI soon after, complaining about how easy and boring WoW is.

J

jamison

It's a blessing and a curse to the game. It's the only multi-platform MMO out there. Playstation 2/3, 360 and PC all playing together... but this means that they have some odd setups because it needs to work with a controller as it does on a PC.

I like the PC version myself.

As for the graphics, well... I am not going to ask the game its sexual preference, but the graphics have to work on something powerful like a PC and something wimpy like a console. Now, the consoles aren't exactly "wimpy" they just can't do what a good gaming PC can. This is why the graphics are a little odd on this game. It was also created when the PS2 was the awesome system on the market and the Xbox was just your average action platform. Now we have the PS3 and the 360 which make the old Xbox and the PS2 look like Colecovision...

But in truth, crank the graphics up and it's still a pretty game, just not cartoony like WoW.

Editorial aside, you can cancel the account if you want, but if you left your free Playonline account open, you can come right back where you left off with the same account if you wish and play it on the 360 or PS2 or PS3 that is PS2 compatible. The account does not care what the system is, you just need to get the software (and if on a PS2, the hard drive)

Be aware that if you have a PS3, you need an old 60GB system, the 80GB system that came with Metal Gear Solid 4 (not the gunmetal color PS3, the black one) and there is an old one that actually has the PS2 hardware, this is a hard find but well worth it!

You also need to make sure you're not using the slim PS2, there is no spot for the hard drive.

The 80GB PS2 that can play the game has the model CECHE01 on it. The 20 and 60GB models can play PS2 games as the 20GB is the one with the PS2 hardware (thus able to play PS1 games and ALL PS2 games, where the others only emulate a PS2.

Click here to see if you can play your PS2 game on your PS2 capable PS3

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the subscription? Credit card. To purchase the game, you can either use a credit card online or go buy it in a store.

D

danialclarcke

People who have played other online games do not seem to like the way the menus work. Since this is the only "real" online game playing, that's what we know and love. I can tell you all the friends I made, which left FFXI to WoW to FFXI returned shortly afterwards, complaining about how boring WoW is easy.