• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Tamer

firec

Visitor
Hello,

I've played UO on and off now for pretty much ever. Mostly off, and only have been back this time for a little over a year.

During that time, especially when I was younger.... I always HATED tamers. The thought of having some insanely powerful pet that could do so many different things seemed like the cheap way out. It still does, it still seems so much easier than doing things like barding or maging (what I normally play as).

But... I have been primarily doing TMaps on my most recent return, and have done SOOOO many maps, and have saved a pretty large amount of Hoard and Trove maps. My main mapper is a mage, however, I made another character on my second account to supplement my mage so that way the spawn on the Hoard/Trove maps was a bit more manageable.

Right now, I have a mystic... Which the Rising Colossus serves pretty well when paired with my 2 Energy vortexes. It works pretty well.... But it is very time intensive and requires a ton of switching back and forth between the two clients.

So I started working taming... I looked at all the different pets, and I decided to go with something that was able to be mounted. This allows for better movement, which is important especially when doing maps in Ilsh. The primary purpose of this pet though is to be able to tank effectively while I blast the spawn down on my mage. Because of this, I landed on trying to tame a Cu Sidhe.

My tamer's skill is right around 110 for both lore and taming. Soon I will be venturing forth to try and tame one.... The problem is.... I have no idea where they are, what to do, what training even is, abilities, stats.... Nothing. I've never looked at anything taming wise due to my, for lack of a better word, disdain for it.

But now I am looking for suggestions. I am not looking to min/max... at least not yet, since I am just learning I am positive I won't build it correctly. But I don't even know where to tame them. I see them everywhere, in malas, in Ilsh... but all the guides say I need to tame it from some other area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, eventually I will figure it all out. But right now, it just feels pretty overwhelming... So I am seeking a bit of guidance. I've read through most of the guides but they don't really make sense to me, but that's also probably because I have never had one before.

Thanks!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They are in twisted weird and a new place. The only ones you can not tame are the ones from a spawn. All have the same stat range.

The strength range has just a few points that can vary between them.

Their HP varies from 1000 to 1200 when wild. They cut in half when tamed. 500 to 600.

You try to find one that will end up with 560 or more HP.

Their resistance varies. Cold can be over 80, which is not desired by all.

Get a color you prefer.

A cu is a disposable pet. You can build any of them and have a pet that kills.

Building guide here.

You can use 105 or 110 scrolls if you don't have a ton of 120s.
Use 120 on the magic.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After finding your desired dog, you have to train them in order to add the points in the link.

Click the blue button to begin training.

Best to consult tamers from your shard to point you toward targets that give greatly gains.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a pet intensity calculator. But because a Cu with 85 cold resist would only be desired for special cases, the calculator will say those have higher intensity.

Use HP and cold resist and color to judge the Cu you want.

You can buy skins from the store. So you could put a skin on a plain color one.