• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) New Tamer looking for advice on a Greater Dragon.

Reko'len

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello there, after scouring Google and guides/forums I figured I would come here and ask a question regarding the greater dragon.

How do I go about obtaining one? I read that you can purchase them from the magnicia stalls but the only one I found costs far too much for me!

I currently have 115 taming and 106.7 lore which using the calculator on a website I found tells me I have a 99% control chance. Does this mean I am able to tame one for myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Reko'len/Lokri'en

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
99% control chance means that the pet that u own will obey your orders 99% of the time. But doesnt mean u have a 99% chance of taming a wild dragon.

If u want to tame one i recommend you to use some jewellleries to pull up you animal taming and animal lore to 120 each.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Get someone to hit the dragon till its nearly dead and cannot walk, then get a bard to peace it if possible and you should have a great chance at taming the GD.
Now, getting a high rating GD can take months and months of taming, killing and repeating till you find a 4.1+ GD, with good resists.
I have 4.3 and mine was given to me by an old Guildie, but If I remember right, took her like 4 months to find me a decent one. Doing about an hour a day taming.
If you put your head around it and grind, you can find them in lesser time, but be ready for a challenge to find the right GD.

Anyways, goodluck on your taming hunts and hope you find a mighty strong one.

NinjaSampire

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Another way to do ot is to build your honor up. Honor yourself then tame the beast. If im taming solo this is what I do with GD's. Welcome to taming though i find this template to be the most fun/frustrating PVM template on my account.

Ingstein

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taming is fun but not an easy template to play, esp. in groups. As I solo 99,9% of my time, it's perfect for me.

Before thinking of taming a GD, raise your taming, I'd say to 120 if possible (yes I know, it means taming 1.749.392 bulls). Even at 120 taming getting a GD is not an easy task and you often fail. Like aforementioned, you can temporarily do that with jewelry but I advise you to train it up in the long run because you'll need jewelry for other things in the final build. And yes, when taming a GD, beat it down to 30 % health because it doesn't do that much damage then. Always keep a distance though, you don't want to get clawed.

IMHO you should take a daily quick tour through Destard on Trammel and esp. Felucca. Run through and spam Animal lore to find a good one. If you got time, beat up the bad ones to let others spawn. Dragon slayers help you wreak havoc upon them. As far as I remember there is less trash (Wyvs, Drakes) crawling around in Destard on Felucca so that may be the better spot.

When it comes to the rating... I got GD ranging from 4.1 to 4.5 and they're all good. GD > 4.4 are very hard to find and somehow just for showing off :)
I check every GD I see in company of a Tamer and most of the time they're < 4.1. So don't be disappointed.

Usually of the stalls in New Magincia are empty or do sell trash.