• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Tamer - How to train Giant Beetle

Fire Warrior

Adventurer
Hello there. I am a returning player but I was never a Tamer and yes I read the old faqs at the top of this page.

However I am not sure they are up to date and I could use some help.

To focus this post I will point out that my Tamer character has been well trained, I have

Animal Taming 120
Lore 120
Vet 90 (Interchangable with soulstone as needed)
Magery 100
Med 100 (Can be moved out as needed)
Music 120
Peace 117 (Annoyingly slow lately to train)

All of that is not with jewels but as this is a new account I have limited equipment options for now.

So let me get to the actual questions ;

#1 Whats the best way to train weaker pets as far as skills like wrestling etc.... I realize there was some commentary on this in other threads but I thought I'd ask anyway.

#2 How does this pet training work? Is there anyway to train quickly - I seem to be getting it up rather slowly. Given that I am completely new at this notion I certainly need the help. I have done some reading and I understand the system a little - in that ok once you get to 100%, the slots go up 1? (not sure), and then I can add skills/abilities/stats each time I do pet training or ??? A little confusion here. Thanks in advance.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
#1 Many may disagree but while I'm training up low level pets I go to the Waste outside Zento... where I send my pet to kill every Deathwatch Beetle and orc it can find... Seems to work rather well and quickly.

#2 Getting a pet up in Training after you chose the blue arrow... not real bad if you know where to go... Many folk recommend the Crazed Mage in Level 4 Shame... I find this works well most the time... However for beefier pets I go to the Night Terrors in the Abandoned City in Ter Mur... insane gains but the risk to your life and your pet are high as well...

Yes once you gain to 100% and then ADD skills/stats/resists or what have you to your pet it gains a slot. They don't increase any until you train your pet in something. You get generally 1501 points worth to add to your pet be it in skills/stats/resists/caps... yes Caps... with 120 PS in your pack you can increase your pets skill caps... No you do NOT drop the scrolls on the pet... you keep them in your backpack and raise the skill caps through the menu and that will take the scrolls from your pack and apply them to your pet.

Hope that answered a few questions.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Question #2 To train a 1-slot pet up quickly...

Choices:

A. Get a 4-slot pet to take out with your 1-slot pet. Attack with the 4-slot pet as the "Tank", then have the 1-slot pet assist (attack the same target).
B. Take the 1-slot pet out as your friends take out a much more powerful pet, and have your pet assist while someone else tanks.

In Both cases, you want to be fighting something exceedingly tough, but relatively alone.
Personally, I've used the following as the targets:
Crazed Mages in Shame (the best option as a group, as it typically takes either multiple pets or a fully trained 5-slotter to kill it quickly after everyone maxes their pet's training)
Eternal Gazers in Shame (these are near unkillable, so only an option when the mages are untenable, such as having one of the EV mobs stuck with it)
Swoop (slower gains, but much safer, with easy access to rezzes at Spirituality - plus you can farm gold and Spellweaving scrolls in the process).
Miasma: Often targets the wrong thing, and dies too quickly sometimes to the tanking pet for a gain for the 1-slotter.

Also, remember to add special properties (other than stat, regen & PS changes) from the bottom down (AI, Mortal, etc. first; only pick from the next category up after that category goes away. Repeat the process as you go up the line.

[format=cust1]
Question #1: Skill Training.

Don't worry about training skills up while training for slot improvements. After all, there is/was an issue where pets could jump a slot (losing your 1500 training points) from improvement of skills; even if it's fixed, don't risk it not being fixed for your specific pet.

Once you get the training of stats and addition of all PS done, then you can think of training the skills up.
Focus & med will go up on their own, and will likely be max if you don't Scroll them.
Resist spells will need to be trained against casters.
Detect Hidden is nearly untrainable, and requires fighting things that hide a lot. Even the advice on how to train that has come from Broadsword employees tends to border on what would ordinarily be considered against the rules due to blocking.

Everything else is tedious, but relatively easy.

For low level skills: Take the pet to one of the many orc outposts in the game, and let it farm them for you. This could be any number of them in Malas, or the Yew Fort, Orc Mines or Cove docks in Tram & Fel. The Malas locations are safer, given their low numbers, but you might have to heal the pet on occasion when you fight in the Mines or at the dock (especially if your pet gets hit by multiple bombers and/or the Brute).
Mid-range skills (70-GM): The first two levels of Shame are ideal. Or, you can go find a shadow iron elemental with a miner, or in the Yomotsu mines.
Higher skills: The same creatures that are good for training percentages become useful for training skills. Go tank for a friend that needs to start a 1-slotter.[/format]

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
#1 Many may disagree but while I'm training up low level pets I go to the Waste outside Zento... where I send my pet to kill every Deathwatch Beetle and orc it can find... Seems to work rather well and quickly.

#2 Getting a pet up in Training after you chose the blue arrow... not real bad if you know where to go... Many folk recommend the Crazed Mage in Level 4 Shame... I find this works well most the time... However for beefier pets I go to the Night Terrors in the Abandoned City in Ter Mur... insane gains but the risk to your life and your pet are high as well...

Yes once you gain to 100% and then ADD skills/stats/resists or what have you to your pet it gains a slot. They don't increase any until you train your pet in something. You get generally 1501 points worth to add to your pet be it in skills/stats/resists/caps... yes Caps... with 120 PS in your pack you can increase your pets skill caps... No you do NOT drop the scrolls on the pet... you keep them in your backpack and raise the skill caps through the menu and that will take the scrolls from your pack and apply them to your pet.

Hope that answered a few questions.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
so you get a Grand Total of 1501 points to use for all skills and stats combined? or do you get 1501 points for each skill and stat?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
so you get a Grand Total of 1501 points to use for all skills and stats combined? or do you get 1501 points for each skill and stat?
You get generally 1501 points each level you raise the pet to use on whatever you want be it raising skills, raising stats, raising the resists and giving new abilities... some cost more than others and it really depends on the pet what you can or can't add to the pet... Mix and match what you like... as a general rule I raise the resists and add skills first round and anything left I put into stats most especially Dex and stamina... since the faster you hit the more you get skill checks ... so as I'm training it helps... and the second round if it's not the final round I round out the other stats... add regens etc... final round is when I look at scrolls... and raise skill caps if I have the scrolls if not I leave that round fairly well alone save for raising base damage to max... leaving me plenty of points to raise caps should I get some scrolls in the future... then I finish up by training it's skills up to the caps I have. Leaving points on for scrolls or if I happen to have all the scrolls I plan to use I put those on and them drop left over points into stats making them more equal.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1501 per pet advancement level. You must use all the points before you can start the next level.

I generally add things in the following order:

Resists
Dex & Stamina
Regens
Abilities & Skills
Powerscrolls
Strength & Hit points
Mana
Intelligence

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like doing the 1st level of the Dragon Turtle Spawn to train lower skills. You can get from 25 to 80 pretty fast and there's a lot of spawn there. Just pull a few (as many as your pet can handle) at a time.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't max str/HP/Mana in the first two training levels on 1 slot pets or you run a high risk of losing the 3-4 training and jumping right to 4-5 training. Don't train pets skills to 100 or more in 1-2 2-3 or 3-4 or you also risk losing a training round via the slot jumping. You want to keep the pet as lean as possible through the slot training and go light on the stats until your 1or 2 slot pet is atleast into 3-4 slot training. It does not take much at times to weight the pets stats and skills just enough to jump a slot.

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good afternoon mate, since you are slotting a giant beetle ( nice pick btw one of the best single target pets in the game right now) let met give you fair warning on thing..
As you know you can add special moves to pet.. Well with the beetle you have to be careful what order you add them..there is a bug with them..where is you add the main move people level these pets for first...you lose the option to add other moves..that move is rune corruption.. Its a move that is suppose to lower the resistances of what ever you are fighting by 50% for 25 sec (I have it clocked at.-35 on boss monsters) .. They recently opened a lot of nice combos for this pet.. But most go with this spec ( make sure to add it in this order) armor ignore, 2nd move ( if ya want ones I find less is more with this pet.better damage per sec), rune corruption, and finally poisoning ( it's a school of magic that makes your pets melee proc 2-3 lvl poison..it cost no mana and is a pure dps gain.) hope this helps mate..my net is down for a few days..but if ya have anymore questions feel free to ask and I will get back with Ya as soon as the damage from this storm is repair.=^¬^=

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't max str/HP/Mana in the first two training levels on 1 slot pets or you run a high risk of losing the 3-4 training and jumping right to 4-5 training. Don't train pets skills to 100 or more in 1-2 2-3 or 3-4 or you also risk losing a training round via the slot jumping. You want to keep the pet as lean as possible through the slot training and go light on the stats until your 1or 2 slot pet is atleast into 3-4 slot training. It does not take much at times to weight the pets stats and skills just enough to jump a slot.
Broadsword is aware of this as a bug and will hopefully fix it, but that won't help for already-trained pets.

In the case of some pets that were already "beat-up" from prior ownership, this won't necessarily come into play, but for new tames, it can be a real problem.

Avoiding the two-slot jump is not only a factor of avoiding maxing the stats, but minimizing actual skill gain during the training from slot-to-slot. You can train skills later, when you're 4-5 slots.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Broadsword is aware of this as a bug and will hopefully fix it, but that won't help for already-trained pets.

In the case of some pets that were already "beat-up" from prior ownership, this won't necessarily come into play, but for new tames, it can be a real problem.

Avoiding the two-slot jump is not only a factor of avoiding maxing the stats, but minimizing actual skill gain during the training from slot-to-slot. You can train skills later, when you're 4-5 slots.
Is that not what I said :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was partially referring to the fact that one of my poor, poor pack beetles had been beaten silly over its 10-12 year lifetime, and had probably died over 500 times before I started training it.

It had ZERO Detect Hidden, and its wrestling and other combat skills were half that of a new tame.

And, a number of the people that had reported anomalous training jumps talked about where they trained skills up early on, instead of waiting, and the total number of skill points apparently were the only factor in the pets skipping a level and increasing a slot, while they were training for a new level.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And, a number of the people that had reported anomalous training jumps talked about where they trained skills up early on, instead of waiting, and the total number of skill points apparently were the only factor in the pets skipping a level and increasing a slot, while they were training for a new level.
Is this still an issue Basara or is it just how it works? Anyone? I'm just coming back after taking a several month break for real life things. Thanks :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
level jumping was fixed last publish

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can confirm that nothing I have trained since the fix has jumped :)

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still the first level of the beetle is very slow. I have a hard time gaining them on mages. Maybe I need to get the wrestle up first. I had anotehr pet tank the crazed mage and after that pet gained 20+ points - the beetle had gained 2.4%. Not very efficient. ANy other ideas to get through level 1-2?

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Damn people need to quit necoring pointless threads. Especially with inane comments.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still the first level of the beetle is very slow. I have a hard time gaining them on mages. Maybe I need to get the wrestle up first. I had anotehr pet tank the crazed mage and after that pet gained 20+ points - the beetle had gained 2.4%. Not very efficient. ANy other ideas to get through level 1-2?
NECRO

The mage is not for skilling. 40 mins and its at 100%. Can also think of it this way, a pet with low skills will get damaged more and the training % it gets is not based on damage amount to get a gain.

Maybe low skill pets gain faster. I wouldn't know. I hate skilling.