• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] New T-Maps + Paragon Chests

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm planning to build a T-Hunter and wanted to farm bunch of T-Maps to get started. So I went out to Ilshenar and beat on Earth and Fire Elementals by the Exodus Dungeon and Water Elementals at the Justice Docks. Boring & tedious, but I gathered up a nice stack of Level 1 & 2 T-Maps.

I expected to get some Level 3 maps from the FE & WE Paragon chests (the main reason I went to Ilshenar to farm them), since the chests should have maps one level higher. However, it would seem that the internal mechanics follow the old level system in this regard. All of the FE & WE chests had only Supply (L2) maps in them, not Cache (L3) like I was expecting. Under the old system the Expertly (L2) would become Adeptly (L3), but since those both now map to Supply, the chests all had Supply as well.

Does anyone know if this is by design? Or is just a programmatic oversight that will be fixed in a later patch?

Thanks,
E

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Yes, I get that. But that is the old T-Map level system.

Under the new system (Publish 105 – Forgotten Treasures – Ultima Online), Level 2 & 3 maps translate to a new Level 2. But the paragon chests seem to still be following the old system with regards to the "one level higher" T-Map. It is as though the paragon chest maps are dropping as Adeptly, but then being converted to the new system, which is still Supply - instead of dropping as Cache as one would expect with "one level higher" than Supply.

FE & WE now drop Supply T-Maps. "One level higher" than Supply is Cache. However, the paragon chest of FE & WE are only dropping Supply T-Maps, not Cache.

I am just wondering if this is intentional, or if the programmers missed something.

fonsvitae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm planning to build a T-Hunter and wanted to farm bunch of T-Maps to get started. So I went out to Ilshenar and beat on Earth and Fire Elementals by the Exodus Dungeon and Water Elementals at the Justice Docks. Boring & tedious, but I gathered up a nice stack of Level 1 & 2 T-Maps.

I expected to get some Level 3 maps from the FE & WE Paragon chests (the main reason I went to Ilshenar to farm them), since the chests should have maps one level higher. However, it would seem that the internal mechanics follow the old level system in this regard. All of the FE & WE chests had only Supply (L2) maps in them, not Cache (L3) like I was expecting. Under the old system the Expertly (L2) would become Adeptly (L3), but since those both now map to Supply, the chests all had Supply as well.

Does anyone know if this is by design? Or is just a programmatic oversight that will be fixed in a later patch?

Thanks,
E
Try the red named/ tagged Dark Wisps in Wisp Dungeon, Level II, entrance found near Ilshenar's Honesty moon gate.

These Dark Wisps are not named as Paragon, but they have a chance to drop a chest just as a Paragon; these chests are guaranteed a cache map. The non red named/ tagged Dark Wisps are not the same, nor are the actual Paragon versions (which do have the same chance for chests/ maps but are more difficult to defeat).

Also, the loot from these is not bad: +/- 1500k as well as a chance for artifact level gear.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
This is a very handy tip, thank you @fonsvitae!

I wouldn't call it a programatical oversight, if the mobs drop level 2 maps and the paragon chest upgrades that to a level 3, that would equate to a new system supply map. If it upgraded to a cache, that would be jumping the level of the map up by 2 internally. I knew there would be some issues like this, but thanks for giving us a concrete example. And sorry for the bummer!

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd agree with @Innoxicated here. I think old level 3 maps used to drop on certain spawn will still drop old level 3 maps (which are now supply maps aka level 2) and it's not their intention to drop new level 3 maps (aka cache maps).

If they changed it to be whatever dropped level 3 maps still drops level 3 maps then this would cause issues of giving too high of a map on things that previously dropped level or level 5 maps. Example: If you were farming blood ele's before the release you would have received level 5 (deviously drawn maps). If you applied the "mobs should drop their previous level" idea then blood ele's would still drop level 5 maps now which would be hoard maps (previously ingeniously drawn level 6).

I will say that the supply chests are very simple to do (you could actually do them with a mage with only Carto) and have pretty decent chances of having a cache map in them. One of the good things about the chests now is that the Tmaps are always +1 level versus before it could have been the same level. So when you open a chest and see a map, you know it's for the next level chest.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Sounds like farming maps from monsters that dropped lvl 3's and 5's, also monsters that dropped 2's and 4's and grabbing maps from their paragon chests (so 3's and 5's) is the downside to the new map level system.

The inverse to this, obviously, is going for the monsters fall into the lower levels. Maps from monsters who used to drop level 2's now drop the equivalent loot as those who drop level 3's. This also means you can go get cache maps from those mobs who used to drop level 4 maps rather than the tougher ones you had to farm for the deviously drawn level 5's, though right?

So would trash mob paragons who would normally drop plainly drawn maps now have supply maps in their paragon chests? You just have to think of the paragon chest adding +.5 to the value of the map, now, and the level 3 and 5 map mobs paragon chests round up.

I guess I'd try farming bottom of the level bracket mobs for easy maps, and farming top of the bracket mobs if you want to ensure your paragon chest maps are upgraded.

I also agree that while I'm certainly not opposed to getting better maps easier, the way it's set up now is probably more balanced. Imagine if those dark guardians in the trap room in Doom dropped cache maps, lol.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yes, I get that. But that is the old T-Map level system.

Under the new system (Publish 105 – Forgotten Treasures – Ultima Online), Level 2 & 3 maps translate to a new Level 2. But the paragon chests seem to still be following the old system with regards to the "one level higher" T-Map. It is as though the paragon chest maps are dropping as Adeptly, but then being converted to the new system, which is still Supply - instead of dropping as Cache as one would expect with "one level higher" than Supply.

FE & WE now drop Supply T-Maps. "One level higher" than Supply is Cache. However, the paragon chest of FE & WE are only dropping Supply T-Maps, not Cache.

I am just wondering if this is intentional, or if the programmers missed something.
FE and WE? What are these acronyms for?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Fire and water elementals most likely.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The spawn will still only drop the maps they normally would - they have NEVER had maps "one level higher". The One level higher maps have always been a chest-only thing.

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
FE and WE? What are these acronyms for?
Yes FE and WE are Fire and Water Elementals.

The spawn will still only drop the maps they normally would - they have NEVER had maps "one level higher". The One level higher maps have always been a chest-only thing.
I understand that. But now a FE drops a Supply map, and a paragon FE chest still only has a Supply map (i.e. not 'one level higher') .
That was my entire point. It's as though they are still spawning as Expertly (Std. Loot) and Adeptly (paragon chest), both of which convert to Supply in the new system.