• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEW SURVEY!

L

Lord Beowulf

Ok guys what has been your best PvP experience? I, for one, really am not that good at Mage vs Mage PvP, and im wondering how you warriors feel. Try to describe your experience in great detail and make it fun for everyone to read.

<center>

<center>
Here we see Lord Beowulf removing his arms and legs to make it a fair fight for the lone dexer. - Doc Yellowfoot
<font color=red>Lord Beowulf</font color=red>
</center>

C

Craig Of Sonoma

My best PvP expeirence was my first :) me wolf and are bud Doomslayer took a 3on3 fight against a order guild ontop of a tower :p me and wolfs first BIG PvP thingy, anyways i was a mage he was a dexer and so was slayer, we all went for the mage wolf ended up with liek 100 crushin blows the whole match :p he won it mainly but my Ebolts were nice :) funny enough this was in trammel LOL

<font color=red>Craig and FriendsAbout to Open a Can On Some Unsuspecting Blues</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Monk Of Kaoshin</font color=blue>

L

Lord Beowulf

Ahhh yes I remember that fight very well. First we went after the mage. I got a crushing blow and Craig got an ebolt and the mage ate dirt. Then with my mad macing skills I alomst single-handedly killed the other two people. Man that was good fun.

But my most fun experience would have to be the first tournament I took part in. This was my first EVER PvP experience. I had been an armcheat quarterback on PvP and never tried it. Since I was a mage and warriors were awesome, I was extremely worried. Plus it was a "no hold bard" tourney. Which sucks for a mage REAL bad because all the warriors can deadly poison there vanquishing katanas. When my name was called to fight "Doc Yellowfoot" my heart whent friggin nutz. MY palms started to sweat like mad. I was pumped. The fight started out ok. I pre casted an explosion and nailed him with an explosion/poison combo. Then I got whacked with a DP kryss. No bother, I just chuged a GC pot and got another explosion off. They were both very good hits and he was running. One more Corp Por and he was worm food. The fight lasted all of 12 seconds. Chalk one up for Beowulf.

The next match was a complete joke. I was fighting a macer named "Nero". Nero had a vanquishing hammer pick. But you see, I was mounted on my valliant steed "BigMomma" and Nero was mountless. Well with me countrolling the fight, and 3 explosions Nero was visiting the big dexer in the sky.

The next fight is my favorite fight of all time, even though I lost. I was fighting "super dexer Owenn Lighthood". This guy was the only person who had UOA like I did, and was totaly prepd with a dp kryss of power. Well I started it out like any other fight, with a exp/poison combo. The fihgt remaind a stale mate untill I ran out of mana. Then I paralyzed him. To my much delight, I found out his pouches had goofed and werent going off. I medd3ed up to full mana and got cocky. I treid for an exp/ebolt/posion combo. On casting the poison I got whacked for 30 damage + DP wiht a kryss. I jogged off and chugged a GC pot.

*the potion has not cured the poison*

NO! I ran off and chuigged another pot.

*the potion has not cured the poison*

God why me?! (In the mean time I got hit again and the DP was taking its toll.) Then I tried to guzzle another one.

*No potion found*

AHHHHHHH! I have about 15-20 HP when I finally stop to An Nox. *WHACK*. I got smacked wht a power kryss and ate the dirt.

But the funny part was since I weas a total newbie i never once used RA, mindblast, or protection! DOH! Just imagine the beat down that could have been unleashed........

<center>

<center>
Here we see Lord Beowulf removing his arms and legs to make it a fair fight for the lone dexer. - Doc Yellowfoot
</center>

A

Arkano

My best pvp experience was with a chaos fencer. I was using my macer. Started out as a surprise attack on a group of 3 chaos, hit them so hard they thoguht there was more than just me around so they all split up and ran. I chased after the fencer, we exchanged blows. I was very unlucky in my crushing blows and hardly landed any. After fighting for a bit, his swings inevitably slowed. We were both good on the healing, and he had no dp'd weapons. Soon, he was walking a step and stopping. Saying, "Dang, out of stam". Still, sadly, my blows were weak and then he switched to his spear, para'd me and ran a few steps off and recalled. This fight actually lasted about 3 or 4 minutes. It stands out in my mind mainly cuz it was fun, and humorous.

Arkano Firestaff-Mage-Pacific/Atlantic
Ramirez-Swordsman-Pacific
Arkano Firestaff-Bard/Mage-Pacific
Adonus-Retired Soldier-Pacific

T

Tyrael`

My best pvp expeirence was the first time i went red, i was hidden in covetus lich room (by the throne) and a Lumberhoe comes walkin in and starts fightin a lich (at the ime i was a dexer) i jumped out with a dped katana he made quick work of the lich and came after me, i had gm parry back in the day :) and i dped him and he obviusly had UOA becuase he was runnin and drinkin at the same time.That went on for about 10 minutes of us kickin the out of eachother, finally all my kats broke from the poison and i was left to run like a pansy :) it was teh longest dexer fight ive ever had tho thats why i liked it so much, of course i hate bein a dexer and am a Archer/Mage

E

Ered of LS

Well, I have two that come to mind. The first wasn't my best by far, but it was humorous. It was pre-UOR and I was a newbie swordsman with like 98 swords and GM tactics 70 strength, 40 dex(A mage's worst nightmare ;) and the guild I was in was doing it's weekly "fight night", and me having GM tactics, I thought I was the stuff. Well, I was paired against a tank mage on horse...but who needed a horse? I had Gm tactics! C'mon! I was the man! Well, with my GM tactics, I also had bandages, but being such the excellent PvP'er that I was, I found no need for potions, or pouches, or anything like that. Well.....let me just put it this way. His whole curse/para/explosion/hally donk/ebolt combo killed me before I could even get him attacked. That was my first ;)

My best.....well, I have a few good mage ones, but they're too hard to remember what all happened, so I'll give another warrior one a go. My friend had just been pk'd at his house by his neighbors, and they were basically house hiding when he logged on his warrior to even the score. He ICQ'd me, and asked me to help him out, so I recalled away. I was a parry/macer at the time, as was he. The neighbors were a parry/swordsman and a swordsman minus the shield (my friend already broke it) Well, I got there, and being the nice guy I am, I challenged the guy with a shield to a duel, no looting, winner rez's the loser. He accepted, and was pretty good, but his katana couldn't eat through my shield, and I poisoned him when he was at 1/3 health, and finished him with a warhammer. At the same time, my friend had been fighting the other guy, and I was watching them for a few seconds, and everytime the other guy got low (even though he said he wouldn't run in his house anymore) he high tailed it in there, and got his "I BAN THEE" up. Well, he came out again, and started fighting. I had Gm magery so when my friend got him low, and he high tailed it to the door, I Wall of Stoned it, poisoned him (blue to me, but I could afford the count) and chased him with my hammer. Well, I whiffed, my friend whiffed, and he was about half health as the wall gave out, and he ran inside "lol'ing" Well, I was kinda mad and without caring or thinking, I ran inside...and noticed he hadn't healed...I saw "I BAN THEE" but..I also saw "You deliver a crushing blow" followed quickly by "a corpse of (can't remember his name)".

Well, those are a few of my favorites.

L

Lord Beowulf

OMG thats friggen hilarious.

<center>

<center>
</center>

I

imported_Drizzt_DoUrden

A guild one of my chars is in is a PK hunting guild. We used to stake out buc's den bank or brit graveyard and wait for the reds to show up. One day me and a guildmate are hidden at the bank when a red by the name of Prtec recalls in. We attack and he runs off. We chase him across half the island but we lose him cos of lag. About 10 minutes later he recalls in and says "I dont want to attack you". Pity he doesn't realise that cos he's red...he's a viable target. My guildmate attacks attacks and I run in cutting off his escape route. He paralyzes my guildmate who hasn't got any trapped pouches on her so nows its 1 on 1....until my Deadly poison kicks in. Then he runs off like a madman across the bridge to the west...like running off is going to cure the poison. He got to the other side of the bridge when he crumpled. I start grabbing his things when i notice a key to a ship on his corpse. I grab the key, recall to the ship and drydock it: voila free ship!! I recall back to bucs den to re-equip and rearm. As i walk to the bank, I see a blue with the same name as the red. As I pass him I say "Thanks for the free boat mate". The usual "U SUCK" kinda stuff. Anyway im standing there getting stuff out of the bank ignoring the tirade of abuse. Till i hide and stealth away. Meanwhile he's still standing there still thinking im where i was. Then he starts with the "You better get out of here if i were you...i've called my guild and they're coming to beat the s#@% out of you". We stick around for about an hour...no-one shows up as expected.

Anyway since that day, I've seen Prtec at bucs den a number of times. He's learnt to gate in, complete his banking in about 3 seconds then run back through the gate before it closes. He was running scared. The problem was that i couldn't attack him cos I was laugh so much everytime I see him.

<font color=blue>NINDYN VEL'USS KYORL NIND RATHA THALRA ELGHINN DAL LIL ALUST </font color=blue>

G

well i have no funny pvp storys but i have a stupid newbie story i think you all will get a kick out of. well this was back when i first started the game about 2 years ago. i had no idea what i was doing and had the newbie title next to my name. i had no idea what that ment but i was wondering aroung brit and came across the graveyard (not knowing that that's what it was) i walked into one of the crypts and a zombie was in there. I thought it was another player and began talking to it(i know what a newb) i asked it things like where is the zombie because i saw the thing that says you see a zombie looking at you.... thing. but i talked to it but he didnt answer. i was getting fustraighted and began to yell as a real player walked in and killed it in a couple of hits. i was like he just killed that guy. i yelled out you murderer and he came back and i thought he was going to kill me now but he just laughed and told me what it was and i felt like the biggest ideiot ever. but i have seen worse since then so i am not ashamed of this too much.=)
and i was wondering beowulf what skills do you have you seem to have a killer char. i cant seem to make a char that has both warrior and mage skills and balance the stats to where it will be very affective im just curious.

L

Lord Beowulf

Well, Parn I am the purest of pure mages. My template is

Magery
Eval
Med
Wrestling
Resist
Poison
Inscribe

But what you want is a hybrid that works right? I have just the thing for you. How about this?

GM Macing
GM Tactics
GM Anatomy
82 Healing
92 Magery
90 Eval
40 Meditation
86 Magic Resist

Stats are 90/80/55. I LOVE this template. First off, im mindblast proof. It does an average 5-10 damage to me. I am a powerfull warrior and a powerfull mage at the same time. Also 80 dex with a quarterstaff is plenty fast. But you cant go wearing full plate with this temp. I suggest if Full GM studded sint enough protection go with this. All AR must be GM made of course. I just started using a hybrid and there AWESOME. Its so fun to just pop off a 50 HP G heal while your bandies work. Or dump with an Exp/Posion/Mindblast combo, then wip out your trusty war hammer. The posibilities are endless. This is the best hybrid temp in my opinion.

Studded Tunic
Studded Legs
Plate Arms
Studded Gloves
Plate Gorget
Plate Helm.

This AR gives I think 27 Ar with 8 dex loss. Pretty good deal in my opinion.

<center>

<center>
</center>

E

Ered of LS

actually for hybrids I like 100 str/80-85 dex/40-45 int

GM macing/swords/fencing
GM tactics
GM resist
GM mediation
GM healing
GM anatomy
GM magery

No parry, but other than that, you can 11 point bless yourself, and 11 point curse them, keep them poisoned, RA, arch protection yourself, and if you're a macer, slowly wear out their armor and shield and get the slow kill. This is very effective, the only thing that really hurts is you have to wear light armor because of meditation, but GM leather is good, and you *can* get away with GM studded, if you don't mind the slower meditation. Just keep lots of agilities and total refreshes and you'll do pretty good.

Another Hybrid that I've seen work is: 100/90/35

GM macing/fencing/swords (usually macing for crushing blow, or swords, for huge halberd hits...this character *MUST* kill fast)
GM tactics
Gm anatomy
GM healing
GM eval
GM magery
GM resist

Basically just stay alive melee'ing your opponent til you drop him to about half health or less, then explosion mindblast/poison depending on his stats, and stick on him til he dies. I believe the med warrior is better, but this guy can suprise a lot of people.

As far as combining med/eval on a character. It can be done quite successfully, but if you do it, make sure you give more points into eval than into meditation, because unlike Eval, med still help a surprising bit at around 50-60ish. So if you want to combine the two, you might try.

GM macing/swords/fencing
GM tactics
90 healing
90 anatomy
90 magery
90 resist
90 eval
50 med (you might be able to sacrfice 5-10 more points of resist to put into this skill, and it wouldn't hurt to badly because with good magery, and a bit of med, mages shouldn't give you too much of a problem if you're prepared.)

As far as stats...well, go for what you like..if you like better melee effectiveness, you might to 95/80/50 or 90/85/50 But if you want a bit better defense setup, 95/75/55 or 90/75/60 can work, just carry strength, agilities, and refreshes, and regardless of how you split your stats, your melee should be workable after a 20 point strength, 20 point dex pot.

Ered

A

Anglachel

Well...I agree with you Beowulf about the templates. But about armour I would take a plate chest and ring arms and legs, closed helm and the rest studded leather. Just try it out, and you'll see a difference in the amount of damage you take.

"Been there, done that...you want me to show the scars?"

C

Craig Of Sonoma

Wolf that armor combo suxxors :) you got to take into consideration the % were you get hit, since the tunic get hit rougly 45% of the time you want that BIG, funny that were you get hit the least you have the most armored :) studded Gorget and gloves id say the arms are fine. I can vouch for his Hybrid template it roxxors its his sonoma character.HIs pacific character is awesome but needs higher inscribe and poison :) oh and wolf talked to RBG dues last night hes a cool guy you should be gettin ICQed soon

<font color=red>Craig and FriendsAbout to Open a Can On Some Unsuspecting Blues</font color=red>

D

Dec

One of my 1st experiences was in T2A (my 1st trip there) and at the city of the dead. Well i knew about pks (hell, Zaire pked me 4 times in 3 dungeons in 1/2 an hour) but didnt know that lucifer and his lot "ruled" T2A.

So one day i was in the lich room there with my big money silver sword (ie about 1K worth) and everyone scarpered. Me being the dozy git i was didnt see about 6 reds storm the place. a few blues died outside and then the pks walled me in, politely killing the lich that was giving me some trouble. Well, i had just or was about to gm tactics and to be honest i thought i was the mutz, so when lucifer says "lets see how good ur resist is" i charge.

i got frozen, (surprise) and then he let off 2 or so corp pors, waited so i could hurredly heal, and repeated. this continued for a few times, (with more freezing) and the ******* killed me angonizingly slowly, safe in the knowledge that i could do all about it. i was killed, looted, then killed again when returning by a sceleton. Oh those were the days.

Oh yeah wulf, with that templte, does ahving 82 rather than 80 and 92 -90 make much difference? would 94 and 80 work better etc. curious about those 2 points on healing etc.

One of my armour combos is studded leggings arms gorget gloves, dexer plate chest (bone knight ones that slant the wrong way, -5 rather than -8 or so dex) and a helmet or ur choice.

me, thats the longest post ive ever written and now im knackered.

P.S anyone know what happened to those great tank pks of drakenfels?

E

Ered of LS

well, at 82 healing, you have a chance to resurrect with bandages, and I've noticed in the 80's every point of healing makes a HUGE difference. So yes, 82 healing is a lot better than 80. As for the 92 magery, I thought 91 magery granted you 99.9% success with 6th circle spells, but maybe it is 92. Either way, it's more of a "backup" thing, just to assure your main offensive spells won't fizzle.

At least, that's why I think he went 82 heal/92 magery

A

arbruin

nothing bad meant Dec but where are you from? lol i was never so riveted by a post before to see the next slang word called from whatever land you hail.. lol again not making fun, just appreciating differentials. Oh and btw i may go for that hybrid temp.. it looks.. well RoxxoR hehe

The Everwinter

P

Prospero

...the few plate pieces you are wearing more than negate the 40 meditation you've got.

D

Dec

true forgot about the medi.

Im from the great UK of ..um.... well England.

D

Dec

decided to make the char. so far got gm mace tact anat 82 heal, 60 resist mage 40 eval medi.

just wondering about the medi, is it worth it? does it help that much? cos u could otherwise pout it into the others, or get hiding which is quite reliable at 40.

G

i dont use mages much i was wondering what does eval int do like how much bonus does it give

C

Craig Of Sonoma

Eval Int is like tactics without you do no damage (well almost) if you want to kill ANYONE with magery YOU HAVE TO have Eval 100 is insano

E

Ered of LS

I'd have to disagree Craig, 90 eval is sufficient. GM is a bit better, but there isn't a huge amount of difference damage wise between 90 and GM. However, if you're going normal mage route (ie. 7 skills) Gm eval is more than worth, since there's nothing that really benefits from 10 points, but if you'd like to add a few points onto your healing or resist, and don't have room to shave off anything else, eval can stand to lose a few.

G

wow i was just told by a friend that eval int was more like anat with a 20 % damage increase on spells

C

Craig Of Sonoma

Not true its more like 80% wolf probably knows specs hes the gm mage/97 eval

L

Lord Beowulf

Im not sure of the exact figures but I cant tell you from experience: Eval is like tactics, not anatomy. So a person with GM eval is doing about 150% more damage than a person with 0 eval. Hope that helps. :)

<center>

<center>
</center>

G

One last thing wulf does the med you have matter because it is just 40 still takes a long time to regenerate or will my mana not move if i have alittle plate on and the rest studded

L

Lord Beowulf

Im sorry I forgot to clear this up.

I dont plan on having med when my template is done. Its just VERy hard to build magery and eval with 0 meditation. With the 40 points im gonnna GM resist and get some hiding. SO in the end my temp will be.

GM Macing
GM Tactics
GM Anatomy
82 Healing
92 Magery
90 Eval
GM Resist
36 Hiding

Also, thanks to Craig for pointintg that armour out to me. Even all powerfull moderators make mistakes. :)

<center>

<center>
</center>

C

Craig Of Sonoma

Your damn right :) and you had the guts toi argue about it :p again Super Craig has proven a mod wrong :p

A

Azuth

Actually Eval Int goes against Magic Resist, for up to a +20% damage not 150%.

There has been a resist calculator on stratics for a long time. Just go to the left side of stratics, to magic resist, then to resist calculator.

Then plug in your own figures. I think the person Eval's is checked against the other persons resist. So 90 Eval might be more effective for players under 90 resist.
*shivers at the thought of 150% damage ebolts*
*you take 100pts of damage from the ebolt*
* oOooOOo *

T

Tempest of LS

for the hybrid template, would fancing work or do you guys think macing is the only way to go?

Tempest

E

Ered of LS

fencing "can" work, if you don't mind the fights to take a little longer, just keep poisoning your opponent, and hopefully he'll disarm the shield to chug a pot, then just get a few high end hits, and down he falls.

If they don't have a shield though, fencing is better than macing....most people just use macing because in 3 or 4 parried hammer hits, a shield is in pieces.

Ered

L

Lord Beowulf

Tempest, fencing our macing will work just fine.

To Azuth. Im afraid that Stratics calculator is horribly out of date. I think im going to do a test on test center to see how much damage a person takes wiht 0 and GM resist against a person with GM Eval and Magery.

<center>

<center>
</center>

C

Craig Of Sonoma

Wolf is 100% right that calculato sucks just as bad as the rest of stratics outdated info, only tamer is up to date becuase last time i checked Mordanna was updatin it

E

Ered of LS

Don't you mean between 0 and GM eval instead of resist Beowulf?

Would suck if you took all the time on TC to test this out, and you accidentally tried out the wrong skill!

Ered

S

Shadow-LOV

My most memorable (of my few) PvP experiences was when I was only and adept warrior/armsman and apprentice just about damn well near everything else. Four of my guildmates and I were hunting in the Ophid trenches, pre UO:R. I had targeted an Ophid with explosion scroll when the lag spirit grabbed a hold of my computer and froze me for about 10 seconds. In that time the Ophid moved off and a blue was in its place and *wham* he gets nailed by the spell. He yells WTF. So I apologize and IVM him. Damage cured, no problems. He was cool. A dexer by the name of Picard comes along and just starts wailing away with a Kryss of something. I am IVMing, Bandaiding, potion swigging as fast as I can to stay about 35 HPs. The fellow I nailed with explosion comes along and what does he do. WRONG, he starts healing me, turns grey in the process, but he is on a teleport ledge so he is out of danger. All the while Picard is continuing to poke holes in me, so I change weps to QStaff of Power. Now we are doing about as much damage, but he is a much better healer than I am so he is healing about 50-60 pts per aid where I am may be doing 25. This continues for about 4 minutes. Picard is popping junk about wusses needing blue healers and the healers gonna run out of regs and mana and then he will own my ass. He continues talk smack since all my guildmates are just standing around watching to see what will happen. Then Picard does something smart PvP wise but dumb when five guys on the screen have the same -LOV after their name. He pulls his dp'ed kryss and starts poisoning me. At that point, combat goes from a "relatively" honorable duel. To an allout Gankfest. The rest of the Guildmates (2 are GM Mage and 2 halberdiers, and I just whomp and in about .005 seconds he is oOOOoOoO ing. I take his stuff (no flag) and get GM Studded suit, about 80 pieces of cloth and two nice krysses, which I sold. Oh did I forget the 2,800 gps he was carrying. Yeah that too. I actually wanted to give his stuff back but one of my guildmates who has spiritspeak said, forget it. He was making inappropriate references to my heritage and family. All in all what fun.

I came, I saw, I Kal Vas Flammed

L

Lord Beowulf

Ok folks thanks for contributing to the survey. :)

Its not sticky anymore

<center>

<center>
Here we see Lord Beowulf taking the disarm skill to new levels in PvP
</center>

X

Xiombarg

My favourite PvP situation occurred about 2 months after stealth came out. As you all may remember, you could GM stealth in a few hours back then with the right combination of armour types, etc. I was in a guild war, and there were probably around 8 people on each side, and my guild was camped outside the guildhouse of our enemy. We were pretty good at team combat, so we took out all but two of their folks in fairly short order, with only 1 loss on our side. One of the remaining enemy members recalled out, the other ran inside the house (a public 1 story patio forge) and proceeded to ban those who tried to follow (I never tried to follow him inside, so he didn't ban me). This remaining fellow as a mage, so he open the door, shoot at us or drop an EV, etc., then go back inside to heal and recover mana. This went on for quite some time (most of our side were warriors, only 2 mages), and pretty much a stalemate.

During all of this, various members of the enemy had gotten resses and come back, and they were quickly dispatched. I'd not been focusing on the newly returned enemy, and was focused on the mage in the house instead. I noticed that he was getting cocky after a few spell exchanges with our mages: he stopped closing the door behind him after casting from the doorway. Instead, he just moved against the wall so that our mages couldn't target him, leaving the door wide open. I guess this fellow figured he'd banned us all, and he was safe inside. So I hid, and started stealthing towards the door. I waited until the next exchange when he opened the door to shoot at my companions ... sure enough, he retreated to heal and recover mana, and didn't bother closing the door. I stealthed right inside.

This mage was standing against the wall recovering his mana, in between two small tables. *grins evilly* I walked right up to him, still stealthed, blocked him in, and proceeded to slice and dice with my trusty katana. I guess I must have shocked the hell out of him; instead of banning me, he tried in vain to heal himself. Needless to say, it sucked to be him that day. :)

L

Lord Beowulf

Bump

<center>Ladies And Gentlemen I Present You: The Buddy Moderator!

<font color=blue>Lord Beowulf</font color=blue>
Supa Fly 133t Moderator of the Warrior, Mage, and Pacific Boards.

</center>