• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Store Item: Pet Respec Tokens!

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Allows someone the ability to redo a pets training. Click the token, then click it on the pet.

All points are reset; all power scrolls put back into tamer's backpack. The pet keeps all the training percents for each level, you just level them up again without training more - because they already were trained.

Cost: $5.00 each !

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In general I agree but would probably be better and stand more of a chance if the pet just zeros out all training and was reverted to a pre determined set of base stats. and retrained up to the new pet template. Or a pet disolving token that just erases the pet and puts the scrolls back in your pack. LOL we have all made pets scrolled them out and regretted it, and it would be nice to have a do over or at least get the scroll investment back from them. Of course we have all made characters and scrolled them out and decided it was a real turd sandwich character and wasted the scrolls on that character same as the pets..............

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for me its not just to get power scrolls back. i myself and probably a few others have grown attached to our pets over the years. so destroying them is not an option for me.

also, if we trained them up a level, the respec should allow us to keep the level ups, just make it so we can redo choices.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Allows someone the ability to redo a pets training. Click the token, then click it on the pet.

All points are reset; all power scrolls put back into tamer's backpack. The pet keeps all the training percents for each level, you just level them up again without training more - because they already were trained.

Awesome. I just may use it on my white Cu. I forgot to Max base damage.... I was going to train it later but my first one was taking so long using Lady of the Snows that I thought I may only level up one pet. Silly me.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I guess this is an Aprils Fools thread. Curses upon yee!

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be nice just to get a quest that would allow you to remove something and get the training points back, 1 selection per quest...

So you do the quest then get the option to reduce something:
Round one, remove some strength points... then you can put them someplace else
Round two, remove a special ability, then put the points someplace else
Round three, remove a cap increase, get the powerscroll back and get the points to put someplace else

Might be a little time consuming if you need to redo ALOT on a pet, but it would be doable from both a play and coding perspective.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because if we give BS license to charge us for features that should part of the game, they will nickel and dime us to death on top of charging us a monthly subscription.

This would also put us on the perilous path to P2W.
UO has been pay to win for quite sometime now anyway.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO has been pay to win for quite sometime now anyway.
Not counting unofficial RMT sales, how is it P2W? The only items in the store that really counts is the forged tool and maybe soulstones. While the stable slot token is arguable, they are mainly for vanity. I view the new totem as something for suckers who don't realize the "rare" colors of the few beasts it work on aren't even remotely rare.

The rest of the store items are pure vanity.

Edit: I forgot about the Advanced and Mythic Character Tokens, they are definitely P2W.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not counting unofficial RMT sales, how is it P2W? The only items in the store that really counts is the forged tool and maybe soulstones. While the stable slot token is arguable, they are mainly for vanity. I view the new totem as something for suckers who don't realize the "rare" colors of the few beasts it work on aren't even remotely rare.

The rest of the store items are pure vanity.

Edit: I forgot about the Advanced and Mythic Character Tokens, they are definitely P2W.
RWT can't be excluded as it is a major part of a whole lot of peoples game.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
RWT can't be excluded as it is a major part of a whole lot of peoples game.
But it isn't official, and it isn't "part of the game" in a legal sense. Sure lots of people use it, but the $$ goes into the site owner's pocket, not BS/EA.

It isn't the same thing as P2W items appearing in the official in game store.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly I would rather have all f those things officially available and the money hopefully going into BS operating budget for UO than all of the 3rd party sites making the money from the sales. But whether it is official or not the items are entering the game on a large scale making it a P2W game.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ughhh.... why do players ask to pay for items in an in game store for a 20 year old game with a sub fee? Concept for proposed item is good but as someone else mentioned it should be available through quest chain.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly I would rather have all f those things officially available and the money hopefully going into BS operating budget for UO than all of the 3rd party sites making the money from the sales. But whether it is official or not the items are entering the game on a large scale making it a P2W game.
That can be said for any game with a third party RMT sites lurking in the shadows, in other words nearly all MMOs.

If you want to be able to buy your way to the top, go play Garriott's giant garish middle finger to Ultima: Shroud of the Avatar. You can throw heaps of money at the game for all sorts of pixel crack and hear all about how he fritters it away on making god-awful movies on the ISS.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Give them a couple of weeks and it will be in the store, look what happened when people wanted extra stable slots, I still find it shocking that they didn't give tamers a few extra slots as part of the pet revamp. I don't even play a tamer! :(

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Oops, should have read the whole thread before replying... I thought they were real. Oh well, saves me a moral decision. ;)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just can't believe the amount of people that post stuff like this... Why would you pay real money for a badly implemented game system that should have something like this in game without the cost of real money? You're already paying a subscription fee to play the game people.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just can't believe the amount of people that post stuff like this... Why would you pay real money for a badly implemented game system that should have something like this in game without the cost of real money? You're already paying a subscription fee to play the game people.
First, because the item would be really cool to have.
Second, because I want UO to stay around for quite a while longer & generating money for the company only helps the matter.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Dot if all the F2P people got their way and the game went in that direction ... everything you expect to be part of the game will go in the store to buy.
Without subscriptions to cover costs the game will need to make it up somewhere and your pocket is the best place to do it.
If what I have learned about hind sight being 20/20, the downs will start to add up and who knows you might be able to buy anything in the game including EM items.... just saying its a slippery slope when you start the $$$ pulls.

I would not mind this reset as the players who have been yipping about mistakes made.... but I bet it will be 9.99$.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
First, because the item would be really cool to have.
Second, because I want UO to stay around for quite a while longer & generating money for the company only helps the matter.
It's no longer a game if you pay for everything. It's a expense. The more expense the less likely old players will return. Forget about new players at this point IMO.

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Because if we give BS license to charge us for features that should part of the game, they will nickel and dime us to death on top of charging us a monthly subscription.

This would also put us on the perilous path to P2W.
LOL P2W really? I can't believe you're going there you don't even pvp.

And a pet respec token is no different then a pet bonding potion so I guess we are already on that perilous path to P2W might as well jump ship now!

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wondered when this would come back........I am all for this It is probably best to do this now rather than later.

Because the taming instructions provided are vague and scattered all over hell and back and it would save tons of people tons of grief in the long run.

The dev should make this happen!

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we have a player respect token? Where I can get all my powerscrolls back? This idea just is a little reaching...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm on board with the general concept of allowing some tweaks, except for the return of power scrolls. I don't trust that would go over well.

Perhaps it should just allow you to re-allocate 1500 training points for stats, resists, regens, AOEs, special moves and abilities. IMHO, I think power scrolls applied and magical abilities trained should be locked in.

I would be supportive of a price of $3 to $8 for this.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
I support this idea fully. It's ridiculous not to be ale to change. And this should absolutely work in the sense of re-releasing the full training points so you can redistribute them. Scrolls are not given back and those points you don't get back. So you get back training points used during however many sessions there were -scroll points. They can also just be scrolls that are a rare drop in all sorts of places.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These should allow you to redo every aspect of the pet - everything. Keep all the points for slot advancement.

If they make these, and not allow power scrolls to be returned, I would not buy them.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
Hm, maybe you're right. Powerscrolls are awfully rare/expensive, and returning them isn't doubling them. I just think if they return, there should be a limit. One respec per pet then. Lifetime. Or 6-12 months. Just so people don't go on a respec frenzy..

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Although I like the respec idea, I'd rather they just balanced supply and demand of Powerscrolls. Making powerscrolls accessible to PvMers would drop the prices to where training new pets is not a big deal, prop up the taming publish, and give players more to do in game.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I like the idea of being able to respec my pet, I don't think it right to return scrolls just like if (to borrow from Tyrath) you make a turd sandwich character. You lose the scrolls. Why should tamers be any better than warriors/mages/etc? This would set a dangerous precedence for getting scrolls back. What's next scroll regurgitating token or potion?

Example. I was given/bought a 105 Fishing. I was so excited that I ate it on Luc. I couldn't just regurgitate It back as to give to my Fisher/TMapper. Thus I had to get another scroll.

I won't even start with the ways this could be abused. Don't laugh, Rule one from one of my computer classes. "If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. It's just a matter when will be exploited."

Last edited: