• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New publish?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems like it's about due for new content, bug fixes and the like time doesn't it?

Pub 96 was Jan 17 - doom and major weap changes and rebalancing

Pub 97 was April 17 - pet system revamp

Pub 98 was July 17 - kind of a meh, artisan stuff, Halloween stuff.

I know endless journey is on the horizon for spring, and there was some notes about a vvv update but no idea where that fell in the ranks. Anyone heard anything?

Tildi Daintree

Adventurer
Yes, I was wondering if there is anything on the Horizon for us, besides Endless Journey.
Surely there must be something else soon?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only bring it up cause getting kind of bored. Had some high hopes for what the VvV update mention could be, and 96 and 97 were pretty major changes but feels like a long time ago. 98 barely qualifies as a publish imo

But ur right, it's been extremely quiet for a while now on the news front

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't expect a publish until at least March, probably later.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So can I start a rumor about Mars? You know about Mars, right? Mars Mars Mars Mars Mars.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know endless journey is on the horizon for spring
Well, in the december news letter they wrote:
The team is still hard at work getting Endless Journey completed before our holiday break.
Also on they 20th anniv party the slide said Pub 99 will be EJ.

With all this info I'd expect EJ & Pub 99 hitting TC rather sooner than spring.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would be sort of disappointing if the ej stuff was a full out publish, unless they introduced content or system overhauls with it but I doubt it, and then waiting for a real publish until later in the year

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At one of the M&Gs Mesanna said they weren't working on anything except EJ until they got it done and out the door.

Y'all got a long wait ahead of ya for new content, Ima thinkin...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
At one of the M&Gs Mesanna said they weren't working on anything except EJ until they got it done and out the door.

Y'all got a long wait ahead of ya for new content, Ima thinkin...
I thought they said something about a bug pass .... maybe I am dreaming.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EJ could contain an NPE, which would be the main time sink. Buuuuut...as much as UO needs it, I'm not holding my breath.

EJ will contain the new vault system and a weird remodel of part of Britain.

There is also the new Town Crier system to unify communication and make announcing things easier

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
EJ could contain an NPE, which would be the main time sink. Buuuuut...as much as UO needs it, I'm not holding my breath.

EJ will contain the new vault system and a weird remodel of part of Britain.

There is also the new Town Crier system to unify communication and make announcing things easier
Why do they need to remodel Britain? First I heard of that

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They showed a picture of it during the party, and from what I remember it's the physical representation of the vault system and where you will interact with it - specifically the auctions. It was a large building that I think replaces a lot of what is SE of the main bank.

From what I remember, the design seemed out of place for Britain. I apparently didn't snap a pic of it. :sad4:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh dont worry. i'm sure they will add an new god aweful neon dye to the store soon.....that's what they seem to be classing as content updates these days.:coco: :sad4:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I didn't read about that before, I'm a bit worried about 'remodelling' any City after what they did to Haven....:(
I really hope this won't affect the West Brit bank meet we have daily on Europa! :confused:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They destroyed Magincia, was fun, said we could rebuild it...then went back on that statement and we ended up with whatever you want to call that. beautiful city gone. Subdivision in its place. Ugly-useless.

Don't get me started on Haven...that was totally ridiculous too.

Now they're gonna "improve" West Brit. And I'm sure it will be done with the same tasteful presentation that Magincia and Haven were handled...In Brit, they can't remodel the bank, but they can remodel other parts of town...go figure [/sarcasm]

Put it in a corner of Magincia (you know, lilke you did ALL of the craftsmen/tradesmen) or stick it on New Haven which is already a senseless eyesore. Quit with your vision of "improving" the original towns and settlements, please.

gah!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They destroyed Magincia, was fun, said we could rebuild it...then went back on that statement and we ended up with whatever you want to call that. beautiful city gone. Subdivision in its place. Ugly-useless.

Now they're gonna "improve" West Brit. And I'm sure it will be done with the same tasteful presentation that Magincia and Haven were handled...In Brit, they can't remodel the bank, but they can remodel other parts of town...go figure [/sarcasm]

Put it in a corner of Magincia (you know, lilke you did ALL of the craftsmen/tradesmen) or stick it on New Haven which is already a senseless eyesore. Quit with your vision of "improving" the original towns and settlements, please.

gah!
So your a no vote then? We should go to the council meeting and pitch a *complaint* lol Has this been posted at the zoning commission? I was mad when Avalon :heart: put a piano in front of the bank in Trinsic ;)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gah!
Are you questioning Mesannas vision of what UO should be?!?
Dark times indeed.... :hahaha:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was under the impression that endless journey was the next thing to be coming out. Then of course after that is released the next publish will be to fix all the bugs from that!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was under the impression that endless journey was the next thing to be coming out. Then of course after that is released the next publish will be to fix all the bugs from that!
The next TWO publishes are slated for bug fixes.

One for Endless Journey fixes....
....and one to fix the Endless Journey fixes.

Instills confidence when they tag 2 bug fix publishes in a row.....lol :lol:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

I will admit UO people can come up with exploits I'd never dream of

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone thought it would be a good idea to turn the Kotl into aliens and the Sakkhra into humans. Yes, I would question that person's judgment. Then I would question the judgment of the others in the room who didn't say "No, don't do that, the original designers' idea was better."

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone thought it would be a good idea to turn the Kotl into aliens and the Sakkhra into humans. Yes, I would question that person's judgment. Then I would question the judgment of the others in the room who didn't say "No, don't do that, the original designers' idea was better."
You don't question our "glorious leader" .....others did and that's why we now only have a team you can count on one hand.
It's Mesannas way or the highway.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm... ok ill bite... and point out a few things most of you seem to forget or put off to the side when you start this type of chain post. (warning I got carried away on the facts...its a book chapter)

1. DAoC has its FULL dev team. Their leader is the creator of the game and head of Broadsword... not a board of directors.

2. Their player base support their dev. Hardcore vets out to keep their game going.

3. EA might have taken their office and some staff, but their leader got the major staff back after creating Broadsword's creation and the agreement with the board to handle both UO and DAoC.

4. EA had both games on virtual sunset till he did this. Meaning UO was on its death bed. Not because of us the player but the fact EA wanted to kill both off.

5. UO was saved because we were solvent, and bringing in enough for both to survive. EA holds the purse strings and waffles the point often. The Board of Directors is fine with us, its the Exe's of the working company who are not. (its common for the board and the exe's to disagree in any company)
EA is a Billion dollar company now... we give them peanuts... Meaning Exe's want champagne and caviar.. Board is fine with Peanuts, Beer and Popcorn that add up.

6.UO has a very small Dev team, this was not by choice contrary to many here who think so.. EA took great glee to strip the Mythic office of personal and what I call the good stuff. With that done they gave what was left there a very very short time to get the hell out. I can prove 99% of this in just a few EA news letters.

7. Not for lack of trying our Lead Producer has tried to hire new replacements... its not an easy job. Those who have gone in have left so short a time frame that we never got the news they were ever there! One was a Stratics lady who went in all full of pride in her ability.... she left quickly.
We do have a new artist. She has been doing a great job and I commend her greatly for the hard work she is putting in.

8. Our Dev team are employee's. They do have family and do have a life outside UO. Vacations, sick days, and holidays are off. We tend to forget that. This is their job not a lifestyle that they Live 24/7/365.
They are dedicated to their jobs, but have family, friends, and outside work things they like too. To ask them to do what use to take close to 30 people in the past is pretty lame and quite honestly rude. Many of you tend to use the same ploys to motivate them.. to many becoming blue in the face. GET REAL.
What people UO has cant even begin to cover what the office of old use to do. even though they try hard to do so.
Lets see you put in the hours you want them to do for your boss.... yea had to think on that one didn't you.

9. We have GM's, thin spread over 27 shards. Back when we had Counselors the number of GM's was in the 20s. if not higher (I didn't actually count them back then). They even back in the 2000 era were spread thin.. yea go figure. They cut back hours to give some rest to the field.. then came the move...
Redwood city move killed a great deal of staff. EA didn't need to move them...(mind you this was way..... before Mesanna was even in the picture of Lead Producer) Yea you all forget that EA made this mess to start with.

10. F2P.......
This is a subject that for a new game meant to use peoples mental state of one up on the others kicks in. You have no idea of how many kids have gotten in bit trouble for the drive to beat the other guy... or the family that hit the rocks cause one of them over spent on their "hobby" and bills were due and no funds to cover cause it went on a game without thinking. There is study that now have them classing this as a disease! Free to Play sounds like it would fit in but after a long look at how our game works .... this is a bad idea. EA right now hates the idea we still exist. They just need a reason to lock us out and throw this game in the pit of no return. I have already seen and heard many in chat and in town talking of EJ. and how they will enjoy not paying to play.
This might sound ok to you... but I have noticed house spots are coming up on Atlantic.. yes they are not the huge ones but.. this is how the other shards nearly died. Things are becoming hard to find...oh not the rares.. but the small stuff.

11. EJ.
As per the newsletter and M&G they plan it for spring (for those who are not so clued in spring ends in June)... Wait for it.... wow I didn't have long... they are chomping at the bit for info to help them plan their leaving the paid world to make use of this boon to their bottom line. Many of you have asked for things to be added for them to use... What are you thinking???
Do you really want them to stop you from gaining anything till you drop off 5.99$ in the piggy for that 10 pt gain in one skill set?
(what ever the = in Sovereigns) This would have to effect all of us not just the EJ nippers.
I look at what it will do to those of us who pay for the game..... I am not too keen on them messing with my play.

Yes I know this became a book... But you best think on this real hard.
EA is no dummy.... idiots yes dummy no.
We all are not privy to the limits EA gave them...
I do know they were told no new billing program....

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thing is:
Its not just UO that this billing effects.. Every game EA has uses this system...
I do know Mesanna was shopping for a new billing system that was more user friendly but secure.... but EA smacked her down big time.

Lord Ron Fellows

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
8. Our Dev team are employee's. They do have family and do have a life outside UO. Vacations, sick days, and holidays are off. We tend to forget that. This is their job not a lifestyle that they Live 24/7/365.
They are dedicated to their jobs, but have family, friends, and outside work things they like too. To ask them to do what use to take close to 30 people in the past is pretty lame and quite honestly rude. Many of you tend to use the same ploys to motivate them.. to many becoming blue in the face. GET REAL.
What people UO has cant even begin to cover what the office of old use to do. even though they try hard to do so.
Lets see you put in the hours you want them to do for your boss.... yea had to think on that one didn't you.
Still not excuse for the lack of communication with their customers. If they spent the 2-4 hours a month that they waste on Q&A sessions just updating us on whats happening we wouldn't need them. It does not take much time out of the day for ONE employee to post a short update.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Still not excuse for the lack of communication with their customers. If they spent the 2-4 hours a month that they waste on Q&A sessions just updating us on whats happening we wouldn't need them. It does not take much time out of the day for ONE employee to post a short update.
Actually I happen to like that they come and ask our opinions and for our idea's and such.... They could just do whatever they wanted and tell us all to go fly a kite.... and like it or lump it... instead they do meet and Greets to gather data on our needs, wants, problems and desires. I for one like that.

And they do lack a whole hell of a lot of communication... but you know if they spent all their time chatting they wouldn't be spending quality time working.

Those hours spent 1 or 2 answering a few questions and such are hours well spent IMO.

One of my fondest old time memories is of the DEVs coming to meet with us at Skara Brae in the Community Center there... standing on the stage there... speaking to the masses... That was WAY back long, long time ago... Before AoS... IMO it gave the feeling that they cared about the game, cared about the players and cared about our opinions. And they still do...

We do need them... How better to know what we care about what our concerns are or what needs fixing and what could be improved but to talk to us?

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dark Ages of Camelot has a Discord server where the Lead Producer of their game is currently always sitting.. (and responds atleast if you poke hard enough). They also do a letter to announce what's going on with the game. Wouldnt those options be nice. Although to get a response from mesanna you have to piss her off, otherwise good luck.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dark Ages of Camelot has a Discord server where the Lead Producer of their game is currently always sitting.. (and responds atleast if you poke hard enough). They also do a letter to announce what's going on with the game. Wouldnt those options be nice. Although to get a response from mesanna you have to piss her off, otherwise good luck.
Well people could invite them... and talk to them at a Meet and Greet and ask them to join us... there is a certain discord server someone named Ultima Online they could get into that seems to have a heck of a lot of players in it.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well people could invite them... and talk to them at a Meet and Greet and ask them to join us... there is a certain discord server someone named Ultima Online they could get into that seems to have a heck of a lot of players in it.
That's the reason they wont. If they put up a UO discord server, they might get more then the same 6 opinions on stratics, and we've seen how that's been taken in. Every post I or a couple others make regarding changes that we'd like to see, representing a different side of the playerbase, is spit at and told how stupid we are for having it. If they had an official discord server, it'd be a lot harder for Mesanna to avoid the constant calls of older players for change away from "HER VISION.' which is clearly working so well for the state of the game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's the reason they wont. If they put up a UO discord server, they might get more then the same 6 opinions on stratics, and we've seen how that's been taken in. Every post I or a couple others make regarding changes that we'd like to see, representing a different side of the playerbase, is spit at and told how stupid we are for having it. If they had an official discord server, it'd be a lot harder for Mesanna to avoid the constant calls of older players for change away from "HER VISION.' which is clearly working so well for the state of the game.
Well if they had their own that they controlled they would be able to police it and ban those they don't want in it.... as well as delete anything they don't like.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well DAoC.. has nearly its full staff of Dev from original before EA wanted to kill it.
UO was not so lucky.... we do have staff who work their tails off to make this work.
Stussywear you miss the point.
Those who work on the game do so with making the game better in mind.. not all of us are as unhappy with it as you.
I'd not complain till you walk a mile in their shoes...
We all forget we don't have their job, and have little in the way of helping rather then hindering every time we bemoan the state and want answers that may be answered more quickly if given the time to work it out.
We get a monthly newsletter, they try to do 2 M&Gs a month. If a bug or problem pops up they jump on it asap....
A few days ago for instant, we kept loosing a shard, it was off the grid for most of the day after maintence... till it was restored... this went on for days.
Dev had no hand in this as it was not their side of the game this was all hardware.
But had this been a major prodo shard I am quite sure you would squarely put it on them.
Point is, you have the right to grumble all you like but lay off the hate.
How would you like some people who don't know how hard you work at your job to complain of the very same you do here to them...Where your boss can see?
Or better yet people you know see? Your doing your best to do the work but some find your effort lacking in their opinion...
Think first before you open your mouth or type your thoughts...
One day it might be you who is on the very side your downgrading..

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well DAoC.. has nearly its full staff of Dev from original before EA wanted to kill it.
UO was not so lucky.... we do have staff who work their tails off to make this work.
Stussywear you miss the point.
Those who work on the game do so with making the game better in mind.. not all of us are as unhappy with it as you.
I'd not complain till you walk a mile in their shoes...
Not all are as unhappy with it as me? Is that why Ultima Online is a quickly quickly dying game. Hey Guess what, Look at population to the time I want a server reverted to compared to todays Uo. See who has more players and happier ones. You miss the point as always. It's not about what you like. Its about what the bulk customer wants. The Bulk customer has left UO.. wonder why.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if they had their own that they controlled they would be able to police it and ban those they don't want in it.... as well as delete anything they don't like.
LOL, yeah, right...
Try set up your own forums/discord/whatever and start banning whomever you don't like and and deleting everything you don't like.
Censorship at it's best. That will either result in a medial uproar (depending on how popular you are) or people leaving in droves. In either case nothing will be left of your community.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is that why Ultima Online is a quickly quickly dying game.
Think you're right. Though it still might take a few years more, until we're gone completely. But I guess, the first twenty years are the hardest...

The Bulk customer has left UO.. wonder why.
Because gaming industry changed a lot in 20 years...
Because games changed a lot in 20 years...
Because people playing games change a lot in 20 years...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not all are as unhappy with it as me? Is that why Ultima Online is a quickly quickly dying game. Hey Guess what, Look at population to the time I want a server reverted to compared to todays Uo. See who has more players and happier ones. You miss the point as always. It's not about what you like. Its about what the bulk customer wants. The Bulk customer has left UO.. wonder why.
Just because a shard is created that makes you and others (me included) all warm and fuzzy does NOTR mean the numbers you recall will come back. People move on - and many times stay moved on.

My only other comment is one that in the past was used on me when I put on an attitude about something: You know where the door is and how to use it. If it's all that bad for you perhaps going out will help you feel better.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My only other comment is one that in the past was used on me when I put on an attitude about something: You know where the door is and how to use it. If it's all that bad for you perhaps going out will help you feel better.
QFT it fits very well in this case.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just because a shard is created that makes you and others (me included) all warm and fuzzy does NOTR mean the numbers you recall will come back. People move on - and many times stay moved on.

It would never be the same as you remember because there are other places to be...

Back when UO was young there weren't a lot of other games out there .... no WoW, EQ or any of that... sheeple had no choice... but now they do... so even if it brought folk back they would all be hard core PvPers with all the knowledge and skill to kill.... and there wouldn't be easy pickings and targets for stealing and robbing.... and seriously it would quickly lose it's "fun" factor... and people would remember why it didn't/wouldn't/can't work... and in a year or so it'd be as dead as Siege... maybe more so.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

That's a hidden pun: "Our players are worthless at doing our QA job"

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

Honestly, I don`t remember it being any other way.

Everyone loves that number. Unfortunately development began in 95 and a playable alpha existed in 96.