• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Player - What do I need?

S

Susie Soong

My friend lent me their World of Warcraft CD to install on my system. But the people at the store tell me I still need to purchase World of Warcraft and World of Warcraft - The Burning Crusade. Why do I need both? I already have the game on my system so wouldn't I only need the Burning Crusade in order to have a code to open my new account?

B

Bo Riddler

Seems to me like all you would need is to activate your own account. I am assuming the friend hooked you up with a friends pass to get you some free time or you can get a free 10-15? day free trial of BC from the main WoW website.

Once the software is on your pc, and you are patched up to the newest patches you should be good to go. You do not need to purchase both old ver and new ver either. You will somewhere have to purchase at least the cd key to a BC account or a non-BC account. You can enjoy most of the game without buying the expansion but if your buying anything, just get BC and it has everything you need expansion wise, then just create an account with your lcoal info and you should be good to go.

Bo

S

Susie Soong

Well when I went to get Burning Crusade expansion several of the employees said I have to do the code for World of Warcraft and then have a code for the Burning Crusade. But I do have the game installed just haven't started my account yet. I just can't understand why I need two codes? Am I making sense at all hehe. I just hope the people at the store know what they are talking about. They said even though I have the World of Warcraft CD installed I need a code to activate the content for that game. And then I need a code to activate Burning Crusade content. I'm confused.

E

Eldorian

<blockquote><hr>

Well when I went to get Burning Crusade expansion several of the employees said I have to do the code for World of Warcraft and then have a code for the Burning Crusade. But I do have the game installed just haven't started my account yet. I just can't understand why I need two codes? Am I making sense at all hehe. I just hope the people at the store know what they are talking about. They said even though I have the World of Warcraft CD installed I need a code to activate the content for that game. And then I need a code to activate Burning Crusade content. I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a World of Warcraft code to unlock the game itself.

If you want access to everything that the Burning Crusade expansion opened up then you need a code for that as well.

S

Susie Soong

ok so I do need to purchase both of them...thank you very much for you help

E

Eldorian

<blockquote><hr>

ok so I do need to purchase both of them...thank you very much for you help

[/ QUOTE ]

Have your friend send you a friend invite and then sign up for an account - then go to Walmart and buy one of those $1.99 copies of WoW so you have your own install disc. You don't need to actually purchase Wow, as long as you get an account set up (which you will get when your friend sends you an invite).

Then when you sign up your friend will get a free month of WoW as well.

Then go to the store and get the BC expansion.

That's the cheapest way to do it in my opinion since you already have a friend who plays.

S

Susie Soong

Thank you thank you thank you...I never thought of that. Will be heading there tonight