• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

new player pain!

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
with the last day of school for my kids my youngest son asked if he could start to play UO.
i figured he might enjoy it so i went and made him a EJ account.
that in itself was...... fun?

anyways, account is made - after making several accounts for EA and Mythic and broadsword.... wow that a lot of accounts to make to just come play a game!

anyways, like was saying, logged in finally and showed him how to make a new guy.
started in haven, everything is good.
we discuss what skills there are and what he wants to make.

ninja, he wants to be a ninja.
so i show him how to lock skills then he says he wants to use swords not fencing (which is what came with the ninja template).
so i walk over to the blacksmith to buy him a Katana with the 1000 gold he started with.
Blacksmith tells me i have no money in the bank to buy the katana?
why isnt it using the money out of my backpack?

what the hell!?!?!

so i walk back over to the bank to put the money into the bank, i say bank, some new 20 slot bank box opens up, ok, cool, in there are 5 items, i try to put the gold into the bank..... nope!

strange, so i try to pull one of the 5 items out of the bank, nope.
i single click one of the 5 items, boom, its in my pack, ok cool, that was new!
so now i at least have a candle.....

still cant figure out how to get my gold into the bank.
so here im sitting with my son who is new to game and me who has played this game since Sept 1997 and i cant figure out how to get money into the bank or even buy an item.

my son asks if im sure ive played this game before.....
*sigh*
well at least being a smart ass is hereditary it seems!

so what gives, how the hell do you put money in the bank?
how do you put anything in the bank?
can they not use the bank?
if not how the hell are they suppose to buy stuff???
how can you play the game if you cant buy stuff????

little frustrating.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I relogged with some old accs too - and like you, I played since 98... but I have not figured out how to put stuff in the bank again.
I click items one time, and they pop in backpack...but - how the h*** do I put them back???

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Kids are great for keeping us real... their open-mindedness and the way they look at the world never ceases to surprise and amaze you.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
well, i wanted him to start off with nothing and earn his keep but it seems like dad will have to intervene since he cant buy anything!
made him a suit and a couple katana's to start him out.

so silly that they cant buy stuff from the NPC's!
who made that a thing and why!!!!!

how are people suppose to start the game and play if they cant interact with a bank and NPC's?

someone needs to explain this too me, seriously.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so silly that they cant buy stuff from the NPC's!
who made that a thing and why!!!!!
They did not want them to buy apples in one city and sell them for profit in another city. It would ruin the economy. DUH :)

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
there is a deposit gold option on the bank menu.
It's a very dumb system they made.
ya my son actually found that later on, how bloody silly!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't know if EJ accounts can use a Bag of Sending.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Didn't they even remove the "new player quest" in one of the recent publishes?

This team is so useless it's hardly worth the time pointing it out again and again. One instance out of hundreds..

People once asked "Can you make vendors use gold from our bank accounts?".

Here we are :popcorn: Pretty sure EA could outsource that to China for a penny, and even they would come up with something more sound.

Let's be thankful for a moment that UO has more content to offer and enjoy. It's getting less and less each month, but they still have not ruined everything (RIP despise! RIP Doom!).

so i walk over to the blacksmith to buy him a Katana with the 1000 gold he started with.
Blacksmith tells me i have no money in the bank to buy the katana?
why isnt it using the money out of my backpack?

what the hell!?!?!

so i walk back over to the bank to put the money into the bank, i say bank, some new 20 slot bank box opens up, ok, cool, in there are 5 items, i try to put the gold into the bank..... nope!

strange, so i try to pull one of the 5 items out of the bank, nope.
i single click one of the 5 items, boom, its in my pack, ok cool, that was new!
so now i at least have a candle.....

still cant figure out how to get my gold into the bank.
so here im sitting with my son who is new to game and me who has played this game since Sept 1997 and i cant figure out how to get money into the bank or even buy an item.

my son asks if im sure ive played this game before.....
*sigh*
well at least being a smart ass is hereditary it seems!

so what gives, how the hell do you put money in the bank?
how do you put anything in the bank?

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There really needs to be complete consistency with paying for goods and services, it's far too confusing! Either use gold from the backpack, drop gold on the npc or use gold from the bank, just pick one and make it that way for everything! New players are getting very frustrated by one way for some things and a different way for others! :mad:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets get it right though..."new players"......you mean "older players" that have many old accounts that each contain "rares" now.
It cannot confuse a new player as they never knew how the systems worked in the first place, only returning Vets that have no intention of subbing up again ;)

Syncros

Adventurer
On my account that went EJ I had the same issues, I ended up trading gold to the EJ account cause I couldn't add gold to the bank by dropping it in like my paid account can and didn't see the deposit gold thing.

I don't know if EJ accounts can use a Bag of Sending.
No they can't, it's on the webpage that lists what they can and can't do along side paid accounts can do.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey, @Poo hope you and your son have some fun together - the bonds my daughter and I forged through games are strong to this day
How old is he, and has he quit yet?

Last edited:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hey, @Poo hope you and your son have some fun together - the bonds my daughter and I forged through games are strong to this day
How old is he, and has he quit yet?
he is 11.
my daughters are taking him through the game and showing him stuff.
i actually try not to play with my kids when they are on.
i even started them off on shards i dont play.

i dont want to hand them everything they need and have them get bored of the game 2 days into it and quit.
let them get use to the grind i say!

im curious if there are other young kids around to play with during the day.
kinda dont wanna spam in general chat that im looking for some kids...... that might raise some flags.

EarlGrey

Visitor
Well I figure out how to place gold in bank fast (pat myself on shoulder) but withdrew.... a bit harder. Apparently to pay NPC for training you got to have exact cash.
But this OK.
Bank limit for 20 item ..... ah well free account but frikin cells without containers and ability organize,
Test shard bank locked down because over 20 items.
I understand if you can't put more items if you over limit but why I can't take item out?
I wanted to restore my old account and there is a link to video ... dead link.

Sloppy job. All I can say.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
he is 11.
my daughters are taking him through the game and showing him stuff.
i actually try not to play with my kids when they are on.
i even started them off on shards i dont play.

i dont want to hand them everything they need and have them get bored of the game 2 days into it and quit.
let them get use to the grind i say!

im curious if there are other young kids around to play with during the day.
kinda dont wanna spam in general chat that im looking for some kids...... that might raise some flags.
With due respect, and my apologies if this is offends you in any way:
I am not an educator, but for kids education, a real no-no may be to get them addicted to MMO games, especially one where the majority is adult players. They will become addicted, and their school performance may suffer due to the hours they may spend grinding. Especially ages 10-17 when they are more vulnerable.
Buy your son a make it yourself computer kit, or electronics kit or a biology kit etc. not UO. UO is a CURSE for both adults and even more for kids. Sadly I am talking from personal experience. Think of it countless hours of time lost to grinding, could have been used for studying or playing with other kids etc. Not to mention that there probably maybe child predators lurking on MMO's or other uncontrolled media?
So far we do not have a for kids only server for UO also..
As I said, no offense meant at all, just concern. My heart goes out to the kids that get sucked into any addiction, unintentionally, including pixel addiction, MMO addiction etc.
There is a lot of literature on this and great books, free to read on the web, including "Caught on the Web" etc etc. Worth reading for any parent contemplating to initiate their kids to MMO's or other addictive media.
I could be wrong, but I also think that even if the kids are from a millionaire home, very well to do, when the law allows possibly age 15 to GET A JOB asap, at the grocery, best buy, shoe store, even car wash etc, rather than spend 5-12 hours at the computer killing aliens or grinding with an MMO like UO etc.
Please do not get offended by this comment, and I am speaking from bitter, painful experience of what happened in my life. Wish you the best and the for kids sir..They are our legacy, and the last thing in the world you would ever want is school failure and social failure for them.
Respects..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not an educator, but for kids education, a real no-no may be to get them addicted to MMO games, especially one where the majority is adult players. They will become addicted, and their school performance may suffer due to the hours they may spend grinding. Especially ages 10-17 when they are more vulnerable.
Buy your son a make it yourself computer kit, or electronics kit or a biology kit etc. not UO. UO is a CURSE for both adults and even more for kids. Sadly I am talking from personal experience. Think of it countless hours of time lost to grinding, could have been used for studying or playing with other kids etc. Not to mention that there probably maybe child predators lurking on MMO's or other uncontrolled media?
As I said, no offense meant at all, just concern. My heart goes out to the kids that get sucked into any addiction, unintentionally, including pixel addiction, MMO addiction etc.
There is a lot of literature on this and great books, free to read on the web, including "Caught on the Web" etc etc. Worth reading for any parent contemplating to initiate their kids to MMO's or other addictive media.
I could be wrong, but I also think that even if the kids are from a millionaire home, very well to do, when the law allows possibly age 15 to GET A JOB asap, at the grocery, best buy, shoe store, even car wash etc, rather than spend 5-12 hours at the computer killing aliens or grinding with an MMO like UO etc.
Please do not get offended by this comment, and I am speaking from bitter, painful experience of what happened in my life. Wish you the best and the for kids sir..They are our legacy, and the last thing in the world you would ever want is school failure and social failure for them.
Respects..
Very true. I would rather tell my kids UO is a game for old people and let them get bored quick so they move on to games with people in their age. None of those popular games on Youtube (GTA, Ark, Fortnite, etc.) are as toxic as UO is. In the end it's a favor to them that they won't appreciate. But I guess that's sometimes the hard part of parenting.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Respects..
No offense but IMO I'd ALWAYS rather my kids are at home... Computer time was strictly regulated, to avoid such things... but I was always of the opinion that I'd MUCH rather they were where I knew they were safe and if they are going to be addicted to something I'd much rather it be a game than drugs or alcohol or anything else... having my kids at home rather than god knows where doing who knows what was actually nice.

My son while quite the gamer was also addicted to reading... which I love... he's still an avid reader and that was his choice. I think one thing UO always did pretty well was have kids reading and typing... if they want to do anything at all in the game with others that's kinda a must. I didn't allow mine to use voice chat stuff... was good to see them typing and holding conversations with words...

While some argue about video games impact on children and development I argue that it has it's benefits as well... including hand-eye coordination and many other skills. Social interaction is one... and some games teach good lessons as well.

I'd wager any kid who plays UO and does any crafting will at least learn some math...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No offense but IMO I'd ALWAYS rather my kids are at home... Computer time was strictly regulated, to avoid such things... but I was always of the opinion that I'd MUCH rather they were where I knew they were safe and if they are going to be addicted to something I'd much rather it be a game than drugs or alcohol or anything else... having my kids at home rather than god knows where doing who knows what was actually nice.

My son while quite the gamer was also addicted to reading... which I love... he's still an avid reader and that was his choice. I think one thing UO always did pretty well was have kids reading and typing... if they want to do anything at all in the game with others that's kinda a must. I didn't allow mine to use voice chat stuff... was good to see them typing and holding conversations with words...

While some argue about video games impact on children and development I argue that it has it's benefits as well... including hand-eye coordination and many other skills. Social interaction is one... and some games teach good lessons as well.

I'd wager any kid who plays UO and does any crafting will at least learn some math...
Way back in the dark ages when my son was younger and I played UO as my "crack", I set him up with an account and he started a thief. Can't tell you how many times I rezzed the bugger. <chuckle> But he did continue for several years and had a nice 18x18 near Tram Skara. He partnered with folks on hunts ... died a lot but did pretty well over all.

However, he outgrew it - unlike his old man - and moved on. Periodically he does ask about the game but then goes back to his activities. I think this will happen to any of the kids that startup these days. The grind will get them, EJ limitations will get them ... whatever. To them, UO will be like beer ... a passing fad. <shrug>

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Way back in the dark ages when my son was younger and I played UO as my "crack", I set him up with an account and he started a thief. Can't tell you how many times I rezzed the bugger. <chuckle> But he did continue for several years and had a nice 18x18 near Tram Skara. He partnered with folks on hunts ... died a lot but did pretty well over all.

However, he outgrew it - unlike his old man - and moved on. Periodically he does ask about the game but then goes back to his activities. I think this will happen to any of the kids that startup these days. The grind will get them, EJ limitations will get them ... whatever. To them, UO will be like beer ... a passing fad. <shrug>
Sounds like me, though my son moved on the playing FF I think that was 12 at the time now it's 14 or whatever... I blame him for addicting me to Black Desert
that's on him...

But he's still an avid reader... and yeah that was back in the dark ages... when I started playing UO. He played on Pac years ago... but as soon as FF came out with their online thing he left for that.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The "Can't use gold in your pack to buy anything" issue has existed since the new money system came in several years ago. The only the gold in pack can be used for is buying up skill from NPCs.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Not too sure, but isn't there an age restriction for UO? Like 17 and older or something? Agree that the game is different things to different folks. Probably ok, unless you see signs of not doing so hot in school or responsibilities. Then you can put the brake on gently I reckon.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not too sure, but isn't there an age restriction for UO? Like 17 and older or something? Agree that the game is different things to different folks. Probably ok, unless you see signs of not doing so hot in school or responsibilities. Then you can put the brake on gently I reckon.
It is rated T for teen I believe. It was M for mature when I joined, tho. Besides, these days some of the young'uns are more mature than the oldsters.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Respects..
worry not my fine feathered friend!
my kids only get to game during the 2 month summer break and even then they dont get much time between the boating and camping and such.
i think we all who play UO know about the crack like addiction that can come from online game play.
not that im saying im addicted!
its not like ive been playing this game religiously for over 20 years.....

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There was a study a few years ago that found that playing co-operative video games can actually have some positive effects on children. Especially games where they have to work together with others to reach a goal and it also helped with communication skills. When my sons were in their teens I had a lot of trouble stopping them from playing FPS type games and Grand Theft Auto, although I confiscated a few I knew fine well they would just play them at their friends houses. Neither of them turned into a homicidal maniac so it's all good. My younger son did point out to me a few years ago that a Viking game I had bought him encouraged him to lop off people's limbs....of course he didn't say anything at the time! Oddly I find I'm much more concerned about guns than viking swords.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thread has been cleaned up. Please keep all comments on track without derailing, trolling or politics. All posts that do not follow will be removed and warnings will be issued. Thanks for your understanding

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh it's the 4th July today......I guess they don't want to know about "actual" historical events today.....
Though I can say that I've played this game since start also and it was the UK that was to give this game a rating it would have been a 15 back then (12 didn't exist back then)
Only excessive gore or sex got an 18 rating and certainly not a computer game with pixelated graphics. lol

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, it made more sense before the Mods deleted certain posts.
The point was, it has always been a rating by the ESRB and never a PEGI rating.
My point being it was America that decided to rate it M and nothing to do with us in Europe like posters were saying.