• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Player Needs Advises About NM Pet Training

Therion666

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Greetings,

I am an old school UO player for over 10 years and have recently returned with my brother. We have just realized that so many things had changed in this game and we keep learning and are trying to get used to it :) I was always crazy to tamer characters and now here I am playing with a tamer character. I learned many basic things about pets, pet training and basic templates for tamer characters. Last week I just tamed a 2 slot NM with a rare hub (I have spent 3 days) and now it is bonded and want to train it to get her in service. I need some advises about 2 slot NM templates. I searched some topics on forum and as far as I read, poi/mage template is acceptable for this pet. People say get Poi first and at last step get magery mastery (I guess it needs 1500 points again?). Could you help me please about templates along with advantages and disadvantages? I need help for each step of pet training :) If you could help me, I would be so happy for it!

Best Regards.

Attachments

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
First, welcome back!
And yes a lot has changed on the pet front. That mare is pretty decent to start with. For the first round, consider basic stats, like resists, there are a lot of ideas around, but most go with 80,80,45,80,80. For a balanced pet you could go all 73 or 80,75,70,70,70. It’s totally up to you. Once you get stam and dex to 125, then raise those to 150. Str, hp and mana will be your focus. I feel 600 to 700 is my sweet spot, others may disagree and that’s fine. Str to 700 is great if you plan to add armor ignore. Don’t bother with magery mastery! I have it on a mare, and I hate it. And no, it won’t cost 1501 points to get, it’ll only cost 1 point. Regens are a must too. 30 mana regen and 20 hit point regen, some will say toss in 5 stam regen, but don’t go higher then 10, you are wasting points then.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For the first round, consider basic stats, like resists, there are a lot of ideas around, but most go with 80,80,45,80,80. For a balanced pet you could go all 73 or 80,75,70,70,70. It’s totally up to you.
I have not seen most Nightmares with 80/80/45/80/80. I spec'd one this way and I probably wouldnt do it again. I would go with more balanced 80,75,70,70,70 or 75,80,70,70,70 (if you use consume) or maybe even an 80,80,65,65,75.

Str should always be brought to 700 if that species of pet can get 700 str (fire/giant beetles cannot for instance as they start with 500 str).

I agree with Mordha, I would not add mastery magery to the mare.

Don't forget to max base damage.

Therion666

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Greetings,

thanks for your share and helpfully informations :) I was planning to add magery mastery because people said that posioning will overwrite the current magery and in order to re-activate it I should get the magery mastery as far as I understand. As a result of it, NM will be able to get poison breath ability along with high level posioning via magery thanks to poisoning skill. Am I right or is there something wrong informations that I have?

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
While I haven’t actually looked into it myself, I believe you can reactive magery without going the the mastery path, and it should be one point. I’m sure if I’m way off base with this, someone will correct me.
Also keep in mind with doing this poisoning will drop .1 with every death and you will not get it back, unless you reactive it. And that’s assuming you leave points available for swapping. Pets can only have 1 magic active at a time. The exceptions are if they are born with 2, like a rune beetle.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
While I haven’t actually looked into it myself, I believe you can reactive magery without going the the mastery path, and it should be one point. I’m sure if I’m way off base with this, someone will correct me.
Also keep in mind with doing this poisoning will drop .1 with every death and you will not get it back, unless you reactive it. And that’s assuming you leave points available for swapping. Pets can only have 1 magic active at a time. The exceptions are if they are born with 2, like a rune beetle.
When you pick up poisoning you can no longer go back to Magery, only mastery Magery. Or least that is how it worked last time I tired it.

Not really a fan of going poisoning then master Magery on a mare. But that's me. I'm use that spec on a dreadmare, because they get free poisoning if they pick the poisoning abilities they have access to.

Therion666

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Does really Poisoning drop 0.1 every death? I am also open to another builds. As far as I checked the forums, only nox mare templates are being discussed...

Therion666

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I tested it, and yes Poisoning drops every after death. But probably poisoning breath ability can make it to 100 again? Am I wrong? Also on TC, there is no magery mastery option for the pet. What am I missing for it?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont think poison breath needs or benefits from poisoning. And they say it does not do lethal poisoning.

They could say if it is based on poison skill level in the description but they do not.

Poison Breath
Trains the creature in the Poison Breath area effect, causing lethal poison to nearby targets.

Therion666

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm currently raising a nox mage mare that is already at 5 slots, it still has poisoning but I will change to mage mastery once it's GM.

so to clarify it's skill's at end will be : Magery Mastery, Poison Breath, Dragon Breath

700 int, 30 MR, 700 mana = appears to be 5 mana regen a second.

(I will edit this post when i'm done testing the effectiveness of magery poison and poison breath)
edit - Ye Nox Mare works, Magery poison scales with your poisoning skill and poison breath works just as effectively as sticking with poisoning as your main magic ability. If you are training a pet to use Magery I can't see a good enough reason why you shouldn't train it in poisioning and switch it back to magery!

To add in comparison to the Cu:
- You can't teach a Cu both poison breath AND an actual magic ability (you'll be stuck with poisoning unable to switch magic ability again)
- Nightmare is obviously better with magery than a Cu with magery, adding magery on a Cu would limit it's points drastically.
- Nightmare is miles better at balancing resists than Cu
- Cu as a melee pet is in a much better position from the start already having 600+ STR (more than double a 2 slot mare) and almost double the HP of a mare. A 2 slot mare being trained up to 3 would need 1900 points roughly to be trained to the Cu standard, remember cu's also have higher base INT and starting resists.
I am trying to realize why this guy meant for GM Poisoning here. Probably magery in nox spell is what he meant. But as far as I understand, Poisoning will go lower and lower over time and it can't be compensated. On the other hand, how can I add magery mastery? As on TC, there is no option to add it...

On the other hand, Pawain, you can't take Poison Breath ability without Poisoning skill. That's why we should pick up the skill first even if the ability itself doesn't benefit from the skill.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I made this pet have a poison ability and I do not need the poisoning for it to work.

upload_2018-4-16_17-39-36.png

Unless someone tests the abilities with and without poison skill, we will not know if it is needed at a high level.

I Post enough stuff. Someone else can run with this.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am trying to realize why this guy meant for GM Poisoning here. Probably magery in nox spell is what he meant. But as far as I understand, Poisoning will go lower and lower over time and it can't be compensated. On the other hand, how can I add magery mastery? As on TC, there is no option to add it...

On the other hand, Pawain, you can't take Poison Breath ability without Poisoning skill. That's why we should pick up the skill first even if the ability itself doesn't benefit from the skill.
they may have removed the ability to re-train master Magery after you select poisoning. Honestly not sure, have not tested it since before this latest patch and I'm at work right now so I cannot test this minute.

Therion666

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I tested on TC, with around 24 Poisoning+Poison Breath ability and 5 fights against swoop, NM cauzed only lesser poison on Swoop. And there is still no option to get magery mastery.