• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New player confused on pet gains

DEA4Ever

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello friends,

I am recently back to the game after a few months of not playing. I am a bit blurry on how pet training works. I seem to slowly be progressing my newly tamed Cu. I am just having him beat on ogre lords at the moment. Am I missing something? It seems to be going awfully slow at the moment. I read a post about navery I believe. Are there ways to boost your gains while training? Any help with this would be very greatly appreciated

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Fighting your pet against the Crazed Mage in Level 4 shame works well...as well as balrons, but best of anything (though rather scary and dangerous)... is fighting the Night Terrors in the Abandoned City in Ter Mur.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To train the skills you need (I think) to be within 25 points in the skill of what you are attacking. Go to the Yomotsu Mines and find the shadow iron elemental and set the pet on this. You will often find people have dragged it right up to the front of the mine to train pets with. You should lore it and make sure its skills are OK to get gains though. For example if your pet is at 40 wrestle and the elemental is at 100 you ain't going to gain.

EDIT - Oh you mean the pet training bar thing? My bad. I like to use the red mages in shame, unbound vortex or Navrey.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To train the skills you need (I think) to be within 25 points in the skill of what you are attacking. Go to the Yomotsu Mines and find the shadow iron elemental and set the pet on this. You will often find people have dragged it right up to the front of the mine to train pets with. You should lore it and make sure its skills are OK to get gains though. For example if your pet is at 40 wrestle and the elemental is at 100 you ain't going to gain.

EDIT - Oh you mean the pet training bar thing? My bad. I like to use the red mages in shame, unbound vortex or Navrey.
As for pet gains.. This only applies to Wrestling and Tactics... all other skills gain on their own... with use.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crazed mage and unbound vortex are good, you need to pat attention to the gain limits. The pet power hour will give 50% max per mob, non power hour will give 25% max. You need to change mob to continue gaining.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Crazed mage and unbound vortex are good, you need to pat attention to the gain limits. The pet power hour will give 50% max per mob, non power hour will give 25% max. You need to change mob to continue gaining.
This is not quite accurate.

How much you gain "per gain" is dependent on the mob you fight. It seems hit points is the key factor... for greatly gains you need to be fighting mobs with > 10,000 hit points. The gain "per gain" gets a boost during the power hour.

How much you can gain per monster is set by the level of you pet. A level 1 pet can gain 100% off a single mob whereas a level 4 pet can only gain 25% per mob.

Here is a list of a few mobs that give greatly gains:

Crazed/Burning mage
Unbound EV
Navrey
Dread pirate
T-Rex
Allosaurus
Night terror

DEA4Ever

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you all so much for the info! This community Rocks!! I completely forgot about vortex'. I will give crazed mages a go as well and see if i can hang lol.

DEA4Ever

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do people train up their firebeetles to 100%? I feel like i've been training mine up for quite a while and hes only at 8% and he gets 1 shot by pretty much everything

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do people train up their firebeetles to 100%? I feel like i've been training mine up for quite a while and hes only at 8% and he gets 1 shot by pretty much everything
Have a stronger pet tank for the weaker pets.
ALso not the greatest gains but decent, get a stack of greenthorns and put the weaker pets on vorpal bunnies they get not great but decent gains on them.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do the crazed mage where there is someone else there to tank.

It can also be helpful to get the pets wrestling skills up closer to GM by fighting a shadow elemental (again, while something else tanks) so that your pet will land hits more often.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do the crazy mage with NO TANK. Youll be at 100 in 40 minutes.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's really tough with an untrained level 1 firebeetle.
I cant just sit and watch. Must push buttons! A bandage and GHeal macro makes it work. I trained a Skree on on Night Terror. Love a challenge sometimes.

Giles

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's really tough with an untrained level 1 firebeetle.
Having a bard there using peace mastery and discording the mage will help. I've leveled a few fire beetles this way. Then move on to energy vortices and then night terror

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
And if you prefer to try something easier, Cave Trolls in Wrong dungeon also give greater gains during Power Hour or else Vitavi or Tikitavi in the Cavern of the Discarded. They all don't hit too hard. (Just watch out for a swarm of Courtiers.)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Having a bard there using peace mastery and discording the mage will help. I've leveled a few fire beetles this way. Then move on to energy vortices and then night terror
Yup when you've used that particular Crazy mage on all your pets, you can kill him much faster when discorded. Then put the same pets on the new one.

Giles

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup when you've used that particular Crazy mage on all your pets, you can kill him much faster when discorded. Then put the same pets on the new one.
Fire beetle will reach first training level way before mage dies. Discord is just to keep beetle alive. The gains for not being the tanking pet are just too slow

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fire beetle will reach first training level way before mage dies. Discord is just to keep beetle alive. The gains for not being the tanking pet are just too slow
Yup, that's why I don't use a tanking pet. Unless I'm training an unbonded pet.

I agree if you are concentrating on one pet at a time. Ive done that at least 20 times.