• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New (not really) to UO! What is there to do now?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have not played much in the past 2 years. I sub, travel around, look for something to keep me occupied, and get bored and let my sub lapse. What is new or fun to do now? The roof is tough on a smaller shard and I don't want to move to Atlantic so not much luck there. TBH, I have done it twice but never made it to the final level. I see all of these events to collect things but never have been much of a collector so all of the armor and weapon collections won't keep me. I really would love to get back into UO but for the past 5 years, it just doesn't seem to have anything to offer. This is not a troll or bash broadsword post. I am truly wanting to get back into the UO Life. Suggestions of places to see and things to do? I have tamers, bards, sampires, a paladin I may finish. I am on chessy but not afraid to start over on a fresh shard. I do have a fisherman on Siege but not enough soulstones to add other fun skills to him to make him more viable.

segmentman

Adventurer
I have not played much in the past 2 years. I sub, travel around, look for something to keep me occupied, and get bored and let my sub lapse. What is new or fun to do now? The roof is tough on a smaller shard and I don't want to move to Atlantic so not much luck there. TBH, I have done it twice but never made it to the final level. I see all of these events to collect things but never have been much of a collector so all of the armor and weapon collections won't keep me. I really would love to get back into UO but for the past 5 years, it just doesn't seem to have anything to offer. This is not a troll or bash broadsword post. I am truly wanting to get back into the UO Life. Suggestions of places to see and things to do? I have tamers, bards, sampires, a paladin I may finish. I am on chessy but not afraid to start over on a fresh shard. I do have a fisherman on Siege but not enough soulstones to add other fun skills to him to make him more viable.
........I myself, have been on UO since just before Age of Shadows. Haven't left once, play daily, no.....UO is what YOU make of it. I have attempted many skills, some just to reap a reward.....there are many things I haven't even tried to attempt.....but, it's what I, me......what I make of the game......I wanted plum trees for the purple.....so I made a cook.......palm trees.....I made a pirate.......I pay by the month, it's for me. Good luck..

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Really it's what you make it i quit playing for things long ago i play for people now arch nemesis or bestie i give more than i keep and I try everything i assume you are calling out in general chat?? I tried Atlantic moved most of 4 accounts there yes they have everything but I hated it i play Origin and Pac as main then go on field trips i have found at least Cats and lake superior to be more active than my main shards without the Atlantic bleh ..so look around try something new

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Give napa a try, we have a small group, will pvp with or against ya. Shout out in general. We have people on through most of the day, but mainly in the evenings.

Big thing, is get a group together. Always more fun that way.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Great Lakes has a good community....Most shards, except Atlantic, have open housing spots. Fishing and pirates have been improved. The new PVM monster events are fun. People actually help each other generally, Next one's at Hyloth. really depends on your play style. :)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One way to get your addiction reaffirmed would be to do exactly what you don't want to do, start over on another shard. find one with the amount of population you want and play to train. you will rediscover that old feeling of addiction and wonder that hooked you in the first place. either that or go troll @Captn Norrington a few times on Atlantic and then muster up the testicular fortitude to finally quit.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the last event was perfect for making a new char yukio quest then the spawn then the dungeon from fresh to 120 by end of it i got lucky and sold earrings for a good amount got gear then sold the bracelet for more gear ..if every event followed that path i could have fully trained toons on every shard

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There are a couple large guilds on Atlantic that frequently have different types of player run challenges and tournaments. Anywhere from crafting, taming, fishing, PVP, you name it. If you are into more community type driven content, I am happy to give some recommendations, the caveat being these are Atlantic based activities.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There is nowhere to live on Atl... But i do know GLs has at least 1 or 2 great guilds out there who are very nice... helpful and do things.

Reactions: Gem

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Go exploring. Is there anywhere in the whole wide extended Sosaria you haven't visited recently?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
There is nowhere to live on Atl... But i do know GLs has at least 1 or 2 great guilds out there who are very nice... helpful and do things.
enough spots for a small house. Cannot find one - say it in General Chat - people usually have several spots marked.
Then do something , sell stuff you getting , buy bigger house. New to shard and no?money - do trade runs , sell pinks, get rich !

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
enough spots for a small house. Cannot find one - say it in General Chat - people usually have several spots marked.
Then do something , sell stuff you getting , buy bigger house. New to shard and no?money - do trade runs , sell pinks, get rich !
I'd rather slash wrists than play on Atl... No interest on that shard. If they nuked it tomorrow I wouldn't be sad.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I ask myself that every day. Last year or so I sold my Siege castle for a chunk of Prodo gold. I spent every single penny on sots/stat scrolls/rewards/suits/etc....and got everything I need. Then I found there's really no point to playing other than to entertain myself. Which is pretty much all I do now. I don't need to do the Roof because as I said I have the best suits I"ll ever need. I"m not heavily into deco, and since I have everything I don't need to farm gold to buy anything. It probably won't be long before I just completely call it a day and be done with it.....

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like to collect cotton from the fields and shear sheep every day to spin cloth.
This made me lol because of your sig right underneath you reply. "I like to collect cotton from the fields and shear sheep every day to spin cloth. BARBARIC !!!" lol They weren't meant to go together but make an excellent combination!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am fairly certain I have a couple of characters there but not sure how evolved they are. The downside may be that they enjoyed killing liches.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Give napa a try, we have a small group, will pvp with or against ya. Shout out in general. We have people on through most of the day, but mainly in the evenings.

Big thing, is get a group together. Always more fun that way.
I have never PvP'd very much since pre-aos and then it was only when I had to. It is something that I have wanted to try but I have watched the videos on youtube and it seems to be so much running around and chasing. I have pvp'd a lot in WoW and love it in Eve Online (spaceship pvp) but UO seems to be very difficult to actually kill anyone.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have never PvP'd very much since pre-aos and then it was only when I had to. It is something that I have wanted to try but I have watched the videos on youtube and it seems to be so much running around and chasing. I have pvp'd a lot in WoW and love it in Eve Online (spaceship pvp) but UO seems to be very difficult to actually kill anyone.
PvP in UO is more about who can disparage the other person's Mom the most colorfully.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back!

I'm extremely happy to see that players are frequently grouping up to kill the Shadowlords aka "underwater boss" - they can be found sitting at the encounter waiting for someone to farm keys. Farming keys for it is quick and easy, however, the encounter has a 30-minute timer after the last boss died so expect frequent sitting and waiting.

This is the questline that will eventually lead you to the encounter. You only have to do it once, then you'll be able to go down there whenever you like.

While this might not be the most exciting content, it's certainly a quick way to get geared back up again.