• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Mount: Dread Horse!!!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

# New mount: Dread Warhorse

* More powerful than a nightmare

* Special radius poison attack (when untamed)

* Special display "trick" for owners (when tamed)

* Requires 3 control slots

[/ QUOTE ]

From: http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=7724935

Um, WOOT!!!!!!! DREAD HORSE!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I wonder how hard these will be to tame? I can't imagine a group working together so any one person could tame one, lol

simonovsk

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope these are gonna be a challenge to tame.

And wonder in which circumstances they will be spawning...

P

Prudentis

It requires three control slots.
= useless.
I would really love it but what would you take alongside the new horse?
I can't see, this thing changing anything about the tamer's only choice (=superdrags)
Now, if we would get a new warhorse and a new dragon, for example a buff to my favorite WW, which we could use simultaneously ... That's where thing would start to look interesting again.

G

I'm wondering if they won't be similar to Savages and Ridgebacks (use a bola or dismount?) or I wonder if the AI will sometimes dismount, and then you have to try to tame it, or I wonder if it will be like a Chaos Dragoon, and you have to kill the rider first...hm. It would be funny if this new NPC rider uses all kill commands and such.

P

Prudentis

I guess it will be fun, as all new things are fun.
But I doubt the tame itself will have actual "hunting value"
Probably just another "nice" pet to have.

OK, so I'm off cleaning up the stables.

I

imported_Tina Small

You will probably have to be in factions to own one, maybe to tame one too, and also have faction rank in order to be able to ride one. Attaining faction rank requires killing enemy faction characters and I believe the rankings are scaled to the size of the faction.

B

BadManiac

Could we MAYBE get certain CURRENT pets fixed and balanced before they add NEW ones!?
Reptalon has been broken since ML beta and STILL no word from the devs on fixing them.

I

imported_Farsight

My question is (apart from has anyone seen one on TC yet?) do they have pack instinct? (Nightmares are two slotters, yes? So a Dread/mare combo could be very good)

Well, I have a lot of other questions as well now that the faction possibility has been mentioned, but those can wait.

I

imported_Tina Small

Farsight, I don't think we'll see the dread war horses until the next stage of the invasion when the Vanguard forces show up. Draconi's post implies that we may see these forces at or near "outlying Britannian cities." It's anyone's guess what that means.

I think we will have to kill Vanguard Controllers in order to get their war horses. Draconi's post says the Vanguard Controllers will be in control of units of monsters ranging from brigands to nightmares.

Will it be necessary to dismount the controllers in order to have a chance to tame their mounts (i.e., will killing a controller make its mount poof like it does with the elite chaos dragoons and mounted faction guards). Or will killing the Controller free up its war horse to go on its own rampage, using its special skills?

Because Draconi has hinted there will be rewards for participating in the war while factions, I'm pretty convinced this new critter is the "reward" and that anyone in factions will be able to own these war horses.

However, will only faction tamers be able to tame them and what will be the minimum taming skill requirement? What special skills or stats will these pets have once tamed, other than being stronger than the current war horses and stronger than nightmares? We know they'll do "tricks" for their owners, but will they also have mage-related skills or poisoning skill?

Once you get one of these war horses, will you need to have taming skill and/or achieve a certain faction rank in order to be able to ride the war horse? [With the current "regular" war horses, you can buy them from a horse breeder if the faction you are in controls a town and the finance minister for that town has placed a horse breeder NPC. You pay gold and faction silver to buy the war horse. In order to ride the current war horses, you have to reach a certain faction rank (I believe it's 2) and no taming skill is required. You get to the faction rank by killing enemy faction characters; however, I believe the size of each rank is dependent on how many characters are in that faction. If your character loses kill points as a result of being killed or through decay and drops in rank, then he can't ride the war horse, but can still own it. You can also still own a war horse once you leave the faction, but obviously cannot continue to ride it.]

Under today's rules you can rez your own faction war horse using a bandage, no vet skill required. Will this also be a possibility for the new dread war horses?

Will a dread war horse change color to match its owner's faction allegiance?

Lots of questions and lots of speculation. I'm looking forward to getting more information. I am a bit disturbed, however, by the fact that the developers felt it necessary to give these pets the ability to do tricks. In a way, it kind of cheapens the animal and I find myself wanting to call it a "circus pony," which is sad. The only reason I can think of for doing this is that I think the developers realize people may get into factions just to get these pets but may not ever achieve sufficient rank to ride them. Therefore they are giving the pets the ability to do tricks as an incentive to try to get one even if you know you'll never be able to ride it. I suppose the other possibility is that they were thinking folks will get bored easily with guarding sigils and maybe people will play with their war horses while they're guarding. I suppose that's good but the trick-playing aspect of the animal still rubs me the wrong way a bit. Perhaps I'll change my mind once I find out what the "trick" or "tricks" will be and also learn more about what it's going to take to get one of these new mounts and actually be able to ride and use one.

G

Tina, you've brilliantly summed up most of my thoughts on this new tame.

I do have a faction char (thief) and have always intended to return one of my mage/tamers to factions. Heck, I xferred one over to Atlantic and back again over a month later when we still had no clue if/when there were going to be any faction event. Come pub 52, I can add a tamer.

I have to admit the idea of a "party-trick" chaps my hide, too. I'm firmly in the tamer+pet= team camp. Adding a "party-trick" effectively removes the team aspect, replacing it with a rather less attractive (to me, at least) "pet as tamer's minion" feel.

I'm going to reserve judgement, however. Foolish or not, I actually trust &amp; believe in Draconi, Leurocian &amp; team enough to do right by us.

I

imported_Tina Small

Right now I have five tamers in factions and seven more about to join up. Am working on the first couple that have stealthing (instead of stealing) as part of their skills, so that's got me kind of excited. Doubt I'll be using pet summoning balls much with them though because they're mostly for using in and near the base as tracker/detectors and pet summoning balls don't work in faction bases.

I hope you're right and I'll turn out to be wrong in worrying about the potential "circus pony" aspect of the new war horses.

G

Hrm, why do I feel a necro tamer template forming in my MTS brain?

Though it's almost guaranteed that these beasties will be camped to heck and very tricky to tame.

One can only hope that the devs remember felucca and spawn them on both facets. I really hate being bunched up with tamers in Tram for these things, each and every antisocial prat comes out with their 100% BA (Bad Attitude) suit equipped

Wenchy

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

You will probably have to be in factions to own one, maybe to tame one too, and also have faction rank in order to be able to ride one. Attaining faction rank requires killing enemy faction characters and I believe the rankings are scaled to the size of the faction.

[/ QUOTE ]Why would you say that? I read Draconi's post about the pub 52 changes, and didn't get any impression that this new mount would be tied to factions. It seems to me that if this were going to be a new 'factions only' mount, it would have at least been mentioned under the factions changes section. Not the scenario 1 section. Or did I miss something elsewhere that might have tied these mounts to factions?

G

As Black Sun addresses, I too do not believe this horse will be tied exclusively to factions. Although, I have to say, having 5 tamers in factions is quite a feat! I could not imagine taming this horse given a trammel ruleset, although, a factions member in trammel cannot be attacked, huh? Hm. Seems sort of weird. In Fel, I totally cannot imagine them being tamed. I guess the stronger side would lock them down.

I believe, from what we are given, this horse might appear undead (the undead form of a nightmare is a Hellsteed, no?), but that might be a stretch. Given the poison attack, I imagine the Dread Horse to be sort of like a Rune Beetle with 400-500 HP and no corrupted special (maybe bleed and poison), and of course, if this horse is a war horse, it won't have any magery, but if it is a different version of a mare (a mare warhorse), then it should have magery as well. And if it has firebreath, and necro spells like corpse skin, hello new favorite hot pocket ;D.

Hellsteed:
http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&amp;id=741

I also am curious whether the trick is physical, or more animated, like a fireworks display? ;P

G

I'm guessing you've thrown your question out generally rather than specifically to any poster.

Can only speak for myself, as always, however, I had the distinct impression it might well be a faction-only critter purely because Draconi has called it a "dread warhorse."

So far as I've ever been aware, traditionally War Horses have only been available to faction chars.

G

Aw
well I hope anyone can use it. If it's only factions, It'll suck. It's bad enough to face any tamer in a PvP situation, because it takes absolutely no skill to use pets. And before anyone rebuts, I don't mean one on one, because one on one tamers *can* have skill, but anyone can play a dismount archer greater dragon tamer. All you do is dismount and say all kill, and if you can't catch up, your 8 necro mates can just cast pain spike ;d. I know a few 56k people on my shard who try to use pets that way. They are so easy to kill :,( yet so annoying in groups
. And when you are about to kill their pet, what do they do? Log in and out. Dumb game mechanics if you ask me.

My point is, if they make this horse factions only, it will encourage factions to be nothing but a PvMvP gankfest. I would prefer if they would not entice tamers to join PvP with this sort of incentive, because then no one in factions will be anything but a tamer = boring = no improvement to factions, and a lot of angry PvM tamers who don't want to PvP.

I

imported_Tina Small

My guess is that it will take taming skill and faction membership to acquire them; faction membership but no taming skill to own them; and faction rank but no taming skill to ride them.

My rationale: Draconi said there would be rewards for participating in the war with faction characters. War horses have been just about the only real reward for being in factions that many people have cared about for the last couple of years. I'm sure the developers thought an upgraded version of war horses would be a fine carrot to dangle in front of folks to get them to join factions. The currently available war horses only have 240 hit points, 400 str, 125 dex, and intelligence of somewhere between 50 and 80. They take up just one stable slot. No one today really uses them to fight with, although one that is fully trained has a mean bite.

If anyone in factions can use the new dread war horses, that means the majority of them will probably be untrained and have less than maxed skills because non-tamer characters are probably not going to spend a lot of time training their war horse. (Just like most warriors that use lesser hiryus don't really put a lot of time into training them.) If their only real advantage is that they are going to be stronger than other mounts a warrior might use, who really knows how many people will want them and actually use them. Will mages and necromancers use them much if they take up 3 stable slots? I don't know the answer to that and won't even try to guess. Will a tamer want them if they are nothing more than a really strong mount that takes up 3 stable slots. I guess that remains to be seen too.

G

I think that's a sound conclusion, Tina. Despite my complaints, I think the new challenge would be fun
. I would imagine most tamers and necros would not use this pet unless this pet had abilities such as corpse skin, or something a mage would definitely benefit from. I do think a few tamers would use them. I mean, heck, I still see tamers using DRAKES!

G

Unless they only do this in Fel,I don't see it working out too well. Imagine they spawn in tram in a packed area. They will be killed just for the loot or to grief. Tamers trying to tame. It will be worse than when the mare spawn was screwed up and you had to be in the keep at server up and dodge the reds to get one. At least thats how it was on Pacific years ago. The reason I think Fel would be less populated is because the masses for events play tram ruleset. Some shards still haven't finished old events. I hope this is not the replacement for " silver steeds". That would be a huge let down. IMO.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

Unless they only do this in Fel,I don't see it working out too well. Imagine they spawn in tram in a packed area. They will be killed just for the loot or to grief. Tamers trying to tame. It will be worse than when the mare spawn was screwed up and you had to be in the keep at server up and dodge the reds to get one. At least thats how it was on Pacific years ago. The reason I think Fel would be less populated is because the masses for events play tram ruleset. Some shards still haven't finished old events. I hope this is not the replacement for " silver steeds". That would be a huge let down. IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Draconi's post about Publish 52 implies that the Vanguard controllers and the monsters they control will show up at or near outlying Britannian cities. I'm guessing this means we are going to be fighting them all over Britannia in Fel and Trammel both, and perhaps also in Tokuno and Ilshenar. If that is true, then I would imagine it will be easier to tame these new critters. What has me a bit puzzled though if these are meant to be a new type of warhorse for factions is whether they are going to spawn permanently.

Draconi mentioned a shift in politics. Is the Vanguard going to take over control and become a permanent or semi-permanent presence?

I have also been wondering if we might also see other types of warhorses introduced for the other factions. Is it possible that some factions will be combined or at least more closely aligned with each other (TB and COM, Minax and SL)? If yes, perhaps the dread warhorses will be used by one set of factions and another type of warhorse we don't know about yet will be used by the other set of factions.

I

imported_revenant2

<blockquote><hr>

# New mount: Dread Warhorse

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that it's being called a Warhorse of any kind makes me think that it's being planned as a factions-only pet.

Not that I'd mind having a new tameable about that I could use too! (I'm not likely to mess with factions, it's too problematic when you can't rez/heal or be rezzed/healed by non-faction chars).

Would be nice if normal chars could use those but, ima betcha its factions only

That or like someone else keeps writing - - the reptilon is apparently a turd as it's implemented right now. It should be about as useful as a greater hiryu or cu sidhe. Boy did something go wrong there.