• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Election Laws... Blah...

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok... I need to rant... I understand one vote per account (actually makes sense since you can only promote one town in Theory)... but the point where you need to be respected to be able to vote is a rip off IMHO. Not everyone can afford to pay the 100k or more to reach respected or the time to gather the resources to turn in. IMHO any citizen of a town should be able to vote no matter their standing in said town. If you going to make it one vote per account... then allow a town citizen to vote no matter their standing. It is my understanding the voting for Governor was to promote Community interest, but what incentive does a new player have to become a citizen of a town if they can't vote or use the trade deal till they have reached respected standing in said town.

Thanks for letting me rant and rave... but I think the current law sucks...

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok... I need to rant... I understand one vote per account (actually makes sense since you can only promote one town in Theory)... but the point where you need to be respected to be able to vote is a rip off IMHO. Not everyone can afford to pay the 100k or more to reach respected or the time to gather the resources to turn in. IMHO any citizen of a town should be able to vote no matter their standing in said town. If you going to make it one vote per account... then allow a town citizen to vote no matter their standing. It is my understanding the voting for Governor was to promote Community interest, but what incentive does a new player have to become a citizen of a town if they can't vote or use the trade deal till they have reached respected standing in said town.

Realistically if you cannot scrape together 100k in UO your doing something wrong even as a new player. I remember 15 years ago 50k was a good bit of farming but I regularly bought VANQ weapons at that price so even then......

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Realistically if you cannot scrape together 100k in UO your doing something wrong even as a new player. I remember 15 years ago 50k was a good bit of farming but I regularly bought VANQ weapons at that price so even then......
uh.. that is kinda my point... is a new player going to spend their gold on citizenship or use it to buy armor, weapons, or lord forbid a house plot.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think the goal of making people be at respected level to vote was so candidates couldn't walk into new haven and bring an army of new players to vote for them at the last second...it definitely didn't work since people are just giving them ingots to donate before they vote...but at least the developers are trying new things to make the elections more fair.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been having a blast campaigning. Dropping clothes, sitting in town and reaching out to the players that pass by. Hopefully hard work pays off.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hmm....

Yes promote interest in your community. Some player/governor/group has organized and sacrificed time to promote the city and pay for those trade deals.

You think you should just be able to walk into a city and take advantage of that without any contribution or commitment on your part?

If you can't even gather enough resources to at least make yourself respectable within a city then why should the city allow you to influence its leadership or have access to its trade deals? Who is doing the rip off again?