• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] new crab fishing method

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with all the changes they keep making - what is the best way to do crabs now?
let them sit in water for how many mins?
(i so hate crabing)

Lorddog

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I leave them in for 5 minutes, i don't care if they bob or not. Then after 5 minutes when it bobs i take them out.

G

Gowron

I do crab/lobster fishing from a row boat.
I typically will lay a field of lobster traps in a 4x6 or 5x6 formation.
Usually, when I'm done with the last row, the first row is bobbing.
I then move to the first row and collect all of them and throw out the empty traps for another round and go to the next rows until I throw out the last empty trap in the last row.
If I haven't seen any *bob*, I'll toss the fishing line once or twice.
When I see a lobster trap bob, I start collecting them up from first tossed to last tossed.

At this point, I make a decision between opening up all the lobster traps and restarting the field as above, or I'll throw out the empty ones in a perimeter around my row boat up to 12 pots. If I get a *bob*, I pick up the previous traps laid along with the one bobbing, empty them, and toss them ahead of the last lobster trap tossed.

This usually makes the time go by a little quicker as I am usually moving about between picking up, emptying, and throwing.

I'm not sure if this is the best method or not, but it keeps me busy, and I rarely lose traps.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not really caring about the cost of traps. looking for a max amount of crabs to get in an hour.
so leaving them in for 5 mins means each trap that is still floating has more crabs in them? i like that idea.

Lorddog

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I personally just find a good CD of 4-5 minutes long (or a playlist of MP3s of that length), and collect traps at the end of the song, and put the empties back as quickly as possible, putting the crustaceans in my hold as the song plays out.

Note: Happy trails by Van Halen is too short, Hey Jude by the beatles is too long... Do you Feel Like I do will cause you to lose all your traps....:)

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Note: Happy trails by Van Halen is too short, Hey Jude by the beatles is too long... Do you Feel Like I do will cause you to lose all your traps....:)
LOL too funny!!!

My crabbing method uses two macros, one macro to target group of traps, the secnond macro, is simply move left.

I lay out 4 traps, move left (twice) lay out 4 traps, repeat, repeat,repeat, till I have 100 traps laid out. By time I have the 100 laid out, it is time to go back and pick em up. I will generally lose around 15 traps in the process, but most full traps will contain 2 crabs/lobs.

Note: I generally leave my stack of traps in the hold, and target them from there. I also will pick up enough fish from my hold, to make "me heavy" that way the traps when I pick them up simply drop to the deck where I stand, so that I do not have to fish through my pack to open them. Once all my traps are collected, I drop my fish into the hold and then proceed to double click all the traps on the deck. The only pain in the rear to this method is then gathering all the traps off the deck and throwing them back in the hold to restack. Then I simply, retarget my traps, pick my "heavy fish" back up and rinse and repeat. Also using "all names" helps tremendously in throwing the traps back into the hold, and or picking the traps up out of the water.

A

anvira

Ironically, I just happened upon the version of crab fishing the other day on the uoguide and was quite amazed at how well it works.

I have a tokuno ship, i put out 8 across (that way i dont have to move past the little bump area on the helm of the ship) and then i move the ship to the left 2 and then rinse/repeat for 4 rows of 8.

This works really well for me, as i put out all the row, move back to the first row, and then just wait about 5 minutes till most have bobbed, then pick up / repeat.

Works like a charm, and its A LOT more fun then doing it with only the 12 max (that i've so far discovered that is) that you can place around your row boat and not have to move to crab.

Just my two cents! Hope it helps :)