• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Castle & Keep contest winners vs. actual Custom designs.

Would you rather have a contest winning design Keep or Castle... or customize one yourself?

• Total voters

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disclaimer: I dont believe in contests... and I totally love the custom house option. In fact, I used the stand-alone "beta" before it became live. As flawed as it was, I'm sure feedback from that is what gave us the system we ended up having in game years ago.

Granted, when we first got the custom system... we also got vendor restrictions that caused a lot of headache. It took some time to find a new location for my mall and I was very lucky to get something that I'm happy with (location) for the rest of the game's existence. I also spent a full day playing with the design till I got much of what you see today. I learned! A big change, from origional… at first, I had a little brook with a bridge in the rooftop garden and 2 fountains by the door. We didnt have the Heritage tokens yet. (I dont think.) Then we, as a mall staff collective, hosted a Santa event... to where the garden was transformed as a traditional shopping mall would host. People really got in to it and we saw more then 200 guests that day. 8 of us. Worn out completely! BUT... the lesson of the fixed obstacle had to be removed, so the event options could exist. Plus, the new player statues came out... the fountains with the bandages didnt exist long. And so on and so on. You cant easily change the design of a MALL full of rental vendors unless all the vendors are upset.

Someplace near the start of this, a friend had me do his 18x18 all tricked out and he loved it. Again, I learned more. I had a full tower then and I wasnt upsetting that design for the wings added more space then could be with a custom. The second house in the mall clearing fell... it became a church. "The First Church of Candy" to fit the pixie theme. The next design... mine or a friend... I could never even guess how many houses passed through my design fingers. Each one... I learn more. Even a friend's house I designed just a bit ago... I'm still learning. More with design aspect, but decorating around tricky custom design? It can be a challenge. Goodness knows I've bene tempted to change a friend things to the main mall... but its just not worth upsetting things.

Years ago... before I even controlled the town clearing... I used to dream about replacing all the 6 buildings with a castle... AS LONG AS IT COULD BE CUSTOMIZED. To this day, it still hasn't come to be. I really dont understand why. Why contests vs. allowing people to just do their own thing?

Frankly, I see the problem 2 fold. 1, I wouldnt want 50 of my custom houses existing around the same shard, forget the whole game. 2, the bigger... I see the contest winners being horrible and badly designed. SORRY! I do. A big reason the classic houses... SOME of the origional classic designs, didnt work was because of gaping open walls where monsters could attack you, outside to in. The first contest house I saw on Atlantic, the keep... has a big open floor (outside walls) AND a gigantic fireplace... you cant really add anything to make it realistic... with no chimney. When I do my designs... I try to keep real world rules in mind... to some degree. "Some". Its like in the Harry Potter books... outlandish house designs were thought to be held up with magic. I dont see this as an excuse for bad theory.

Then I saw not 1 but 2 of the same ugly castle on Artic Island. I mean... so very badly designed, I couldn't believe this won a contest. I couldn't look inside! Both were private. As I keep finding them, they are always private for some unknown reason. Perhaps taking some time to look at real castle design would help understanding the theory. Granted, I was engaged to someone who designed buildings for a living... this has always been a real life interest of mine, but goodness. The bigger question keeps popping up:

Why bother with contests when people could just make custom? It would be like if we never had custom houses in the first place. Where would the game be today? I don't even claim to be an expert. As I always tell people to have a good look around the Asian shards. Some of those designs flatten me.

Just saying. :)

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did pay millions and millions for a contest design that cant be customized. But in theory, it can be customized. walls can be added. Things can be added. *puzzled*

I know you decamped but are now recrudesce, perhaps in time playing catch-up will catch you up.

Somewhere it is written, you can dig *hands you a shovel* That.... it's too much to load that much customization.

*hands you the court documents*

case in point... upon attempting to create the homes we created on the test center for the creation of the creatable creations.....turned permanent....

The whole back section, 2 rows to be specific... would not show, were wonky.. gave us hassles (not Hasselhoffs) did all kinds of weird things. Though once created and formed into a fantastical solid form and given to us as a big beautiful mold....*drum roll* were just fine. :)

You should see what I did with the fireplace!!! Omgooses!!! It has stuff cooking in it, and pots and pans and a cauldron and... well lets say, if your passion for building and fiddling and designing are coupled with curiosity and desire... got for it. It's not bad theory it's badass. If they would change those tiles so we could "walk on fire"!!!! and other tiles like that. They would solve a lot of decoration issues.

You can build anything.

I really see the new customizations as something that can be taken to a point and then we can take it further. Maybe next time around, take a swing and give it a try and show us your style and your dream at least?

Wouldn't hurt to actually capture what you have in your head in it's form? heck the placement tool might even have the BIG PLOT available now so you can get a head start...:D

Always take screen shots as WE never know when they will wipe it.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They have already said repeatedly that they won't allow castle-sized customisable plots, that's why we have the contest. I already did spend millions on one of the Keeps and I am really happy with it, yes I wish it had been less expensive, but that wasn't going to happen either. You can't really make the excuse that castles are special, then apply it to Keeps, almost anyone can have a Keep on most shards, so yes the Keep cost was a bit on the ridiculous side, but hey ho.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes... "Borg Cubes" are horrible. Totally agree.

There is only 1 good reason to have a cube... and I experienced that first hand, helping a friend. Several years ago, my friend got a MASS of plant grow beds and had the most complete plant shop on Atlantic. This clearly with green thorn, red leaf, and orange petals. 20 per floor, 2 houses.. 6 levels in total. BUT... I did my best to make them as attractive as possible. And yes, I did totally think about a castle size Borg Cube. :) However that one "contest winner" castle is the biggest mess I've ever seen. I really didnt want to pass judgement until I saw the inside... but I just cant find one. Dont really need it. They are full-on ugly.

BUT… I love other point of views! I do.

Frankly, I dont understand the anal attitude of keeping people from having full custom keeps and castles when many GM+ design skill people could do much better jobs without batting an eye. What need of "control" when so many things are left a MESS around the shard and staff have full control to impress us. Take the old Black Castle for example. Or old gargoyle city. Loads of empty lands to do something? Blackthorn's castle is a serious mess... BUT impressive. Just too big, in my book.

Frankly, if it were me... I dont see what's wrong with handing out special mention awards to higher-quality designs throughout the shards. If the house goes in to custom mode just 1x, the award vanishes. Just an idea!

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disclaimer: I dont believe in contests... and I totally love the custom house option. In fact, I used the stand-alone "beta" before it became live. As flawed as it was, I'm sure feedback from that is what gave us the system we ended up having in game years ago.

Granted, when we first got the custom system... we also got vendor restrictions that caused a lot of headache. It took some time to find a new location for my mall and I was very lucky to get something that I'm happy with (location) for the rest of the game's existence. I also spent a full day playing with the design till I got much of what you see today. I learned! A big change, from origional… at first, I had a little brook with a bridge in the rooftop garden and 2 fountains by the door. We didnt have the Heritage tokens yet. (I dont think.) Then we, as a mall staff collective, hosted a Santa event... to where the garden was transformed as a traditional shopping mall would host. People really got in to it and we saw more then 200 guests that day. 8 of us. Worn out completely! BUT... the lesson of the fixed obstacle had to be removed, so the event options could exist. Plus, the new player statues came out... the fountains with the bandages didnt exist long. And so on and so on. You cant easily change the design of a MALL full of rental vendors unless all the vendors are upset.

Someplace near the start of this, a friend had me do his 18x18 all tricked out and he loved it. Again, I learned more. I had a full tower then and I wasnt upsetting that design for the wings added more space then could be with a custom. The second house in the mall clearing fell... it became a church. "The First Church of Candy" to fit the pixie theme. The next design... mine or a friend... I could never even guess how many houses passed through my design fingers. Each one... I learn more. Even a friend's house I designed just a bit ago... I'm still learning. More with design aspect, but decorating around tricky custom design? It can be a challenge. Goodness knows I've bene tempted to change a friend things to the main mall... but its just not worth upsetting things.

Years ago... before I even controlled the town clearing... I used to dream about replacing all the 6 buildings with a castle... AS LONG AS IT COULD BE CUSTOMIZED. To this day, it still hasn't come to be. I really dont understand why. Why contests vs. allowing people to just do their own thing?

Frankly, I see the problem 2 fold. 1, I wouldnt want 50 of my custom houses existing around the same shard, forget the whole game. 2, the bigger... I see the contest winners being horrible and badly designed. SORRY! I do. A big reason the classic houses... SOME of the origional classic designs, didnt work was because of gaping open walls where monsters could attack you, outside to in. The first contest house I saw on Atlantic, the keep... has a big open floor (outside walls) AND a gigantic fireplace... you cant really add anything to make it realistic... with no chimney. When I do my designs... I try to keep real world rules in mind... to some degree. "Some". Its like in the Harry Potter books... outlandish house designs were thought to be held up with magic. I dont see this as an excuse for bad theory.

Then I saw not 1 but 2 of the same ugly castle on Artic Island. I mean... so very badly designed, I couldn't believe this won a contest. I couldn't look inside! Both were private. As I keep finding them, they are always private for some unknown reason. Perhaps taking some time to look at real castle design would help understanding the theory. Granted, I was engaged to someone who designed buildings for a living... this has always been a real life interest of mine, but goodness. The bigger question keeps popping up:

Why bother with contests when people could just make custom? It would be like if we never had custom houses in the first place. Where would the game be today? I don't even claim to be an expert. As I always tell people to have a good look around the Asian shards. Some of those designs flatten me.

Just saying. :)
Thanks for this thread. I wonder, though, if you ever thought about the fact that anyone that is color blind can not read your post. Anyway, I wish that full customization was possible for any plot. However, only as a long term veteran reward. I think ten or more years is fair. That way it will not over run servers and reward those long term players for their support of the game.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
just give me my castle plot. if alot of us got together, i feel we could get the dev to let us have castle plot. i do not care for most of the new designs. i have castle with stone pavers/walls. i could do wonders with a plot.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like that player designed houses are able to be used by anyone through the contest. I suck at creating my own designs so having a way to use a better design is great.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still vote for a token purchased from the store that allows you to have your personal design created on TC added to the production list. Make them a separate category on the placement tool so people who want a standard design don’t have to sort through pages and pages of player named designs. Everyone wins.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The lag from a fully decoed custom 32x32, would be prohibitive. Especially for those in the castle trailer parks.
sadly that point is not really valid. i can tell you from experience that even a static castle with full decoration and option with granite custom tiles can be a lag hell also. so whats the difference?

the point here is that our devs obviousely are lacking imagination. a personalized 32x32 house is basically printing money. they could ask 200 bucks each to make a players custom on test into static ONLY for him and people would pay that without hesitation. me included.

@Dot_Warner if you dont believe me see the pictures below, thats what it did to a secluded drachenfels castle once the stone stuff came out. It was close to not playable with EC, regular crashed included...
i also attach my idea which i submitted to the contest but even with enough votes that it should have made it to prod it did not...

Attachments