• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Needed Fixes To Show the EC Some Love

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak

The EC has a few gnawing bugs that really need to be addressed. #2 and 5 are game stoppers, while the rest are mainly annoying and facepalm worthy. (#1 and 3 should be easy fixes...)

#1 - The Star Field Under Malas

malasstarfield.JPG

Notice how it stretches the father away from the avatar it gets? It didn't used to be this way. Originally, it was a very nice looking field of stars with a ripple effect no matter where you happened to be standing. Now it looks like warp drive experiment gone awry. Please unstretch it.

#2 - The Giant Horde Minion

bighordeminion.JPG
(image from the CC)

This mob doesn't exist at all in the EC. If EMs use it, EC users see NOTHING (sometimes not even text if they speak). If this mob attacks you, you're generally SOL. Please patch in this mob.

#3 - Reversed Necklace Graphics

ECNecklaces.JPG

These are the two human/elf necklace types.

This is the BEADED necklace on the EC paperdoll:
BeadedNecklace.JPG

This is the PENDANT necklace on the EC paperdoll:
PendantNecklace.JPG

They are reversed. Please swap the numbers so the item graphic matches the worn graphic.

#4 - Ruined Tapestry

This is item 18704. It hangs way too high on the wall in both clients and cannot be lowered. If you raise it through the floor so it hangs properly on the wall above, you can still see it from the floor below.

ECTapestry.jpg CCTapestry.jpg

Please canter it, or drop it down to the floor and allow us to raise it to a spot of our liking.

(Note: the gargish mirror has the exact opposite of this problem..)

#5 - Ring of Fire/Supernova/Big Explosions

These effects are used by mobs like the Slasher, Primeval lich, Corgul, Virtuebane and nearly every EM boss mob. When the mob spams these effects, it brings the EC to its knees and it either freezes and/or crashes. The problem isn't with our connections, nor our video cards (I run an GeForce GTX 980 and 16 gigs of ram so I know its not my machine), the problem is with how the client renders the effects (particularly the one consisting of hundreds of flamestrikes).

For the love of your players, please fix these effects in the EC so we don't dread boss mobs.

#6 - Books

Mesanna mentioned a possible incoming fix for them months ago, but we haven't heard anything since.

This one can be game stopping and is definitely annoying. Right now, an EC user will destroy an unleafed book written in the CC simply by opening it. CC users can't read a book written in the EC as most of the text is missing.

I know that some of the hesitance on this issue is "ruining" legacy books, ASCII art specifically. Why not leaf ALL books in the game and allow books created prior to a publish to open in a legacy view mode, while all new books open in a new text editor that functions the same in both clients.

While slightly messy, it may be the quickest way to fix the book issue once and for all.

Thank you.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Nice list there Dot. I lol'd at your warp drive experiment!
The supernova effect from EM boss mobs was one of the reasons my husband gave up EM events, he repeatedly asked the EM not to have this effect on the last mob as it would make us crash, but they didn't listen. :(

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Bleak

These effects are used by mobs like the Slasher, Primeval lich, Corgul, Virtuebane and nearly every EM boss mob. When the mob spams these effects, it brings the EC to its knees and it either freezes and/or crashes. The problem isn't with our connections, nor our video cards (I run an GeForce GTX 980 and 16 gigs of ram so I know its not my machine), the problem is with how the client renders the effects (particularly the one consisting of hundreds of flamestrikes).

For the love of your players, please fix these effects in the EC so we don't dread boss mobs.
This ^^^^

Needs to be addressed. I've found by lowering the particle levels and graphics helps a bit... but why should I play with lower-end graphics just to avoid one type of explosion effect? Especially at EM events... it can be the difference in getting a drop or not if a bunch of Nova's go off on a final boss and it freezes you / lags out.

Another thing I would add... is the graphics along shoreline / swamps / lava. It can be very choppy and needs some review and cleaning up. Not a game breaker... but much of the EC player base would appreciate if this was addressed before any more Eodon add-ons / changes.

Good post @Dot_Warner !

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Needs to be addressed. I've found by lowering the particle levels and graphics helps a bit... but why should I play with lower-end graphics just to avoid one type of explosion effect? Especially at EM events... it can be the difference in getting a drop or not if a bunch of Nova's go off on a final boss and it freezes you / lags out.
I've dropped my particle detain to Low, don't show shadows and made it so that it only shows my spell/special effects and those of my target (which would obviously include the big explosions) and I still lag to death. Turning all effects off just seems silly to me since I won't know WTF is happening at all "Why did I just take damage?!"

Oh, before Malag screams at me...

#8 - Dying Like You're Trapped In a Dali Paradox

As she (and I) have mentioned countless times before: Dying in the EC, specifically at laggy events can take a ridiculous amount of time. So long in fact that I've managed to launch another client to res myself before the original client has given me control of my ghost. Yes, I have played with the hardware death effect setting ad nauseum...it doesn't help (in fact, I'm unconvinced this setting does anything...).

Dying should take 2-5 seconds, not the half-minute+ the EC sometimes suffers. Yes, sometimes that's part of the problem. It's annoyingly random and unpredictable.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Needs to be addressed. I've found by lowering the particle levels and graphics helps a bit... but why should I play with lower-end graphics just to avoid one type of explosion effect? Especially at EM events... it can be the difference in getting a drop or not if a bunch of Nova's go off on a final boss and it freezes you / lags out.[/USER] !
#8 - Dying Like You're Trapped In a Dali Paradox
Dying should take 2-5 seconds, not the half-minute+ the EC sometimes suffers. Yes, sometimes that's part of the problem. It's annoyingly random and unpredictable.
Oh hell yes! These two problems seriously affect how people feel about EC, even those open-minded enough to have a go will be put off after a few nasty episodes of 'supernova-kick-to-desktop' and 'slow-motion-death-with no-mobs-in-sight', it's not like we are all running Pentium III's from 1999!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yes THIS ^^

Also the problem with the client having a fit when a EM boss goes public and it takes ages to open the corpse as there is STILL over 1000+ items in there. IT IS STILL BROKEN!!!

Then there is the issue of the health bars dropping when you use CTRL + SHIFT to grab them from the mobiles bar.

I have paged and submitted bug reports NUMEROUS times and its still broken months, possibly years later....

All of these are Im getting using the DEFAULT EC with a fresh user profile.

PS...Why wont my talisman copy to a mannequin but every other item does?

PPS...If I have a macro for "nearest enemy target" it will target my own guild mate if he/she is a red character.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I run an i7 with 16 GB ram myself and have the NVidia GTX 970 and I shouldn't lag out everytime I die..... I shouldn't be forced to a crawl and have to ZOOM all the way in to avoid crashing whenever a boss spawns with that stinking Super Nova BS...

I should be able to loot a public corpse without being forced into the LIST mode (Which by the way if anyone hasn't noticed closes the corpse everytime you take an item!!!!!! So you are constantly forced to reopen the corpse after looting each and every item.... )..... And when 30 other people are looking too it's ABSOLUTELY impossible to pick up anything since everything in the list is continually jumping around.... up and down and down and up and all over the place trying to hover your cursor over an item is FUTILE...

I just want to beat my head against the desk and scream...

As for the shores... the problem in Nu'Jelm where they SERIOUSLY need to fire all carpenters and craftsmen... I would offer to fix it.... just let me do it. I'd do it for free... for pittance... whatever... I'm fully capable of doing some of that stuff if I had the chance. Or for pity sakes take some pride in the game and make it look like you love it. Don't leave it looking 1/2 done... or like some drunk decorated...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As much as I would like to see bugfixes for the EC, as much I'm in constant fear they screw up more than they repair.

We already know there is only a single developer on the EC, and by the feels not voluntarily but by drawing the shortest straw. The changes they do to the EC usually reflect that: Change the code, don't test properly and let players find out if it worked or not. More often it's the latter though.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Publish 98: Enhanced Client: Decreased the default scale of all generic gumps from 1.5 to 1.06.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
As much as I would like to see bugfixes for the EC, as much I'm in constant fear they screw up more than they repair.
I'm in constant fear CC will still be worked on in 2020+, how in the hell can you justify it!

I have a 144hz Monitor and EC+other games I play run smooth as silk then there's a crowd of people still swearing loyalty to this choppy graphical nightmare known as "classic client", makes me want to slap them in the face with a floppy disk.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Publish 98: Enhanced Client: Decreased the default scale of all generic gumps from 1.5 to 1.06.
Does anyone know what this means ? Is this the answer to stopping me from hard closing client and restarting to escape the EM explosions ?

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know what this means ? Is this the answer to stopping me from hard closing client and restarting to escape the EM explosions ?
No, I think it just changes the size of the gumps that come up, like Animal Lore, Skills, etc... They need to fix the super nova from freezing EC tho.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just trolling but, imo, the EC is horrid to look at. I imagine that you get use to the scene but uhg.....Most of the issues raised here are "features" of UO but the EM/death issue are true game breakers, I suspect that if it was an easy fix they would have been done already.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Picus at the office EM/Death issue?

I've played a lot of games on 60hz, i was introduced to Ultima around the time EC was introduced so i was born with it but I gave classic a shot regardless just recently but the client simply doesn't support anything above 10hz or something. I can't go from playing 10hz > 120hz league of legends/tekken just like that, my eyes will get cancer :p

Macro's/kit switch is exclusive to EC client btw? makes the game really interesting as it enables you to enhance your template.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can't go from playing 10hz > 120hz league of legends/tekken just like that, my eyes will get cancer :p
The same applies in reverse. After playing the classic client for 20 years people can't just switch to the enhanced client very easily. Our eyes get cancer looking at the EC...

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The EC has some nice features which should be in both clients but it's just not going to fly with me. Like a lot of the EC people I'm stuck in my old ways, hence why there are two clients.

EM/death issue was a reference to the supernova lag and the client needing 5 hours to close upon death, clearly things that need a fix.

I run 3 clients on my rig at home and never have any issues at a event but I'm CC.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Suit yourselves ^^ I'm surfing the smooth monitor hertz xD

I just can't help but feel the development would be saved quite a bit of time working on 1 client, if only the EC was perfected I wonder how big the complaints would be if CC was no longer supported...

btw WTB CC Bake Kitsune!

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure but I suspect it would be larger than you think. There are a lot of people who have been viewing the same screen for a very long time, getting rid of either could be the final straw.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The same applies in reverse. After playing the classic client for 20 years people can't just switch to the enhanced client very easily. Our eyes get cancer looking at the EC...
Two computers ago I tried to install and play the CC as per usual... but it kept skipping and freezing up... I got super frustrated as I could barely walk from my house to the Moongate hardly 2 screens away...

Finally I downloaded and installed the EC... it was a HUGE learning curve... but instantly I was moving 10x faster... Never looked back... since then I have actually invited folk into Discord/Vent to teach them the finer settings of Pinco's UI and help them get set up if they wanted to learn... I still will keep that offer if anyone really wants to give the EC an honest try...

I do suggest though that anyone trying gives it a full few weeks... It's almost like learning a new game. Takes time... but once you really see the benefits of the EC with Pinco's... there is no going backwards.

The only time I use the CC now is to see what color of Nightmare I tamed... to sometimes check a problem with house tiles... or if someone INSISTS I put something in a stinking book.

One would think they could fix some of the major issues with the EC...

Books, dying, NovaBlast crashing, looting corpses .... etc...

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the newsletter:

8. The ring of fire/supernova/big explosion effects are very resource intensive, can this be resolved?

This requires future optimizations both client and server side, we hope to address this in a future update.

:(

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From the newsletter:

8. The ring of fire/supernova/big explosion effects are very resource intensive, can this be resolved?

This requires future optimizations both client and server side, we hope to address this in a future update.

:(
:sad4:

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
well as long as they are paying attention, I'd like to add that in the EC swords and shields aren't visible when on the mannequin

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
well as long as they are paying attention, I'd like to add that in the EC swords and shields aren't visible when on the mannequin
EC has naked bug issue very rarely but I have never experienced that bug in all my time playing EC.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly do not know why the EMs use the supernova graphic. There are already 100s of accounts (not players) at these events. There is no need to lag it all to hell with that graphic. I typically recovered from the graphic but it did freeze me for about 2 seconds. However on rare occasions it would totally crash me.

Good post @Dot_Warner I never noticed the necklaces until you pointed them out.