Need some suggestions from all the Mages out there!

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 19, 2008
Midwest
ok - below is my template: Please pull it apart and put it back together if you need...

Mostly I have PvM my whole UO "career"... this was going to be my first attempt at PvP... however that dream died by my Trammie instincts long long ago...

I now own a house in Fel (sort of forcing myself into the environment now muahaha) and have started to broaden my horizons... now I want to make a mage that can hold his own while making the big bucks (champ spawns?)

All skills are either base, or enhanced by items (noted by (e) after the skill)

Magery -110
Eval. Intelligence - 115 (e)
meditation - 115 (e)
Inscription - 100
Resisting Spells - 100
Poisioning - 90

Now eventually, I want to be 120 mage, 120 eval, 120 meditation... and maybe resists (just finished training resists yesterday, haven't played with it yet, had 100 necro and 100 spirit speak before, but am trying to get positive karma so that I can practice doing the Lord Oaks champ in Ilsh.)

What do you think I should to with this to optimize this character's efficiency?
as of right now, I have 100 points open (less if I ever get a damn 120 mage scroll)

Any and all opinions (about the template :) ) are welcome!
~CrazyUserName guy~

G

GFY

Well, if your really into poisoning, not a bad thing, you are a bit limited by people chugging pot, and using petals. Poisoning can be very useful for using fields at champspawns, and my guild liked using them on peerless.

Here's something to look into;

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Wrestle 120
Poisoning 80-100 (with 200 points in magery + poisoning you get deadly poison)
Rest of points where ever.

If your looking for a good PVP template try something like this;

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Necro 105-120
Spirit Speak 120

You will need a good mage weapon for your defensive skill.

A classic Necro Mage.

If your looking for a really good damage dealer for pvm try this.

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Wrestle 120
Spell Weaving 120

When the MOB your fighting is below 1/4 life 400 point word of death is awesome. You will need a few friends playing Spellweavers so you can use arcane circle to get maximum damage output however.

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 19, 2008
Midwest
I see that all 3 of your templates do not include inscription... is the damage increase not important for things like champ spawns?

C

Chiera

inscribe isn't that important in pvm as you can get your spelldamage up with items easily. In pvp things are different though bc of the 15% sdi cap from items. So the additional 10% from inscription can make sense depending on your setup and if you can find a place on your template.

G

GFY

I also have a "true" Mage template;

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Wrestle 120
Inscribe 100
Focus 20

This is the template I use for making spell books mostly. It is however a very good all around template. It has however been eclipsed by necro-mage and spell weaver mage. IMHO

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 19, 2008
Midwest
I have decided to go with the spell weaving template :) Now I just have to get a 120 scroll :)

and some wrestling too :) poison fields are nice while I am hunting down daemons, but I figure if I had natures fury I would be doing less work anyways :)

how do you run your spellweaver... like what spells do you use the most?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 9, 2008
I see that all 3 of your templates do not include inscription... is the damage increase not important for things like champ spawns?
Not to bash anyone, but inscription IDEALLY...is a stoned off skill. You swap it on when you need to make books. That's it.

It is a weak skill any more due to how real easy it is any more to get the 10% SDI that you would of had if you had inscription on your template.

The only benefit really is the hidden inscription trick that you can get by having GM Inscription. That in turn will effect your resist stats, namely protection, magic reflection, and I believe reactive armor but can't recall.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 9, 2008
I have decided to go with the spell weaving template :) Now I just have to get a 120 scroll :)

and some wrestling too :) poison fields are nice while I am hunting down daemons, but I figure if I had natures fury I would be doing less work anyways :)

how do you run your spellweaver... like what spells do you use the most?
I personally like to mix in natures fury with EV's when soloing. Word of Death to finish off big enemies. Gift of life is nice in a pinch. Attunement is nice for quick melee mobs that run after you, if you are caught off guard. Downside is there is a long cool down to using that spell.

Wildfire is not as effective as it used to be, even albeit having a high focus...I don't see much return on it.

That said, I use natures fury, gift of life and word of death. Probably in that order. Essense of Wind is nice as well sometimes. More for PvP now I suppose...I don't know if it is as effective any more though since I have not used it in a while.

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 19, 2008
Midwest
Thanks Diomedes for your insightful response! would you have 1 EV and 3 Nature's fury then?

just a question for all... I play on great lakes... are there a lot of spellweavers for those who play this shard? Might need to get a few people's ICQ, just in case anyone ever wants to get together for a good arcane circle :)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 9, 2008
Thanks Diomedes for your insightful response! would you have 1 EV and 3 Nature's fury then?

just a question for all... I play on great lakes... are there a lot of spellweavers for those who play this shard? Might need to get a few people's ICQ, just in case anyone ever wants to get together for a good arcane circle :)
I just tend to mix them up depending on what I am fighting. If it is a slow and weak mob, then I will use more nature fury's.

You can also use the nature fury's to knock away and get some distance between you and a very fast moving enemy. Once you have the monster contained somewhat, you can setup by mixing in EV's with your nature furys.

If you have enough of a mana tank, you can setup EVs and then just blast nature fury's over and over as they get eaten up by the mob.

G

GFY

I like to start with a EV or a Earth ele summons because they make better tanks and last longer then Natures Fury. Essence of Wind is more effective then most people think at slowing mobs down, especially casters.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 2, 2008
DK
did i miss something, or did this, i wanna try my luck with pvp, end into a sw-trammel-mage ?

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 19, 2008
Midwest
not a trammel mage my friend - purely damage output to help with spawns - wont be the best support when coming to killing other people... eventually I want to go PvP, but I don't want to jump off the deep end before I can swim!

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 2, 2008
DK
not a trammel mage my friend - purely damage output to help with spawns - wont be the best support when coming to killing other people... eventually I want to go PvP, but I don't want to jump off the deep end before I can swim!
Fair enuf, you wanna make a spawner, then by all means make a wither wither char aka necro-mage. Probberly the most used char for spawns. And no you dont need to have any skill at 120 to make one, does make things easiere, but thats another story.

G

GFY

Spell Weavers can be very effective sport at Champ Spawns. Essence of Wind is very effective for slowing down a wither grinder so your friends can break threw. Casting a rev or 2 can also disrupt a group of archers/dexxers. Word of death is a great Cu de gras for an opponent in trouble and trying to run away.

Over all they are less effective then a Necro-mage but they still are very fun and effective if you play it well.

You will need as many friends as possible (up to 5) to get the highest focus level to maximize your offensive output however.

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 19, 2008
Midwest
I can't wait to go and try it... right now I am training spellweaving... then I will be training wrestling, but while I am training... I am trying to find those friends to try and get that focus level :) Know anyone who plays on Great Lakes?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 9, 2008
I can't wait to go and try it... right now I am training spellweaving... then I will be training wrestling, but while I am training... I am trying to find those friends to try and get that focus level :) Know anyone who plays on Great Lakes?
Best advice I can give regarding that, is to post under your shard forum for focus time(s) depending on how many people you get in touch with.

Just have who you are and what skill your spellweaving is at.

G

GFY

You could also look for a guild. A large guild can have a lot of advantages.