• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need some suggestions and help...

G

I just recently came back after an 8 year break. Upgraded my accout to Mondains Legacy, and I am enjoying the game so far. My main character I had tried to make a warrior years ago, but he was also my smith. Now with soulstones I was able to transfer my GM smith skill over to another character, but my fighting skills are lacking, and with all the changes I am a little lost on what I should be doing to make this a viable character. I have no interest in PVP, so I am only looking for PVM ideas. Here are my current skills.

Anatomy 66.5
Focus 34.8
Healing 16.3
Parrying 46.4
Swordsmanship 92.7
Tactics 95.6
Mining 84.9 (Planning on soulstoning this to another character)
Tinkering 51.4 (Planning on soulstoning this as well)
Magery 34.6 (Read I dont need this for scrolls anymore)
Meditation 47.9 (Will drop if I dont need magery)
Resist Spells 21.7
Hiding 56.7 (Needed this for mining years ago before Trammel)

Additionally, I am pretty much only using GM made armor and weapons that I made myself. I hear that really isn't good anymore, but with all the changes I have no idea what I should be looking for. Most of what I read around have things listed in acronyms that I don't know what they mean. Also, I don't really know where to go and fight to try to raise the skills I do have. I went and fought some Harpy's in Covetous last night, but I am sure there must be better places with the new expansions and all that.

Anybody have any rough suggestions to help an old returning player figure out some stuff?

G

Good_Ole_Lefty

Welcome back to UO. A lot has changed since the early days so I will go with some basic stuff.

Character Templates - Usually you want to have 6 to 7 skills, but no more than that. Like the old days keep your crafting skills on a mule.

Training skills - First step is to goto New Haven in Trammel. There you can buy skill up to 40 points and then take a quest from the appropriate NPC to get a skill gain boost to 50 skill.

Next thing I do is to goto the champ spawns near Humility or compassion and check for a simple spawn to start training combat skills. These are a good way to help get tactics up since it is a bit fickled to gain. After gains slow a bit I run to yew crypts in trammel. There you will find a small building with 5-6 skeletons. All you have to do is stand and heal. No chasing. This will take you to around 70-80 skill. After that you can hunt most anything and gain or if you want to accellerate the training is to do what is called golum training which you use a gm tinker made golum and an appropriate weapon with 100% poison damage. Tell it to all kill, target yourself and then say all guard me 2 times.

Training Magic resist. On a warrior you can goto old haven and gain off spellbinders or on a mage just cast debuff spells like clumbsy, feeblemind, weaken to gain.

For Parry - You can use female wrestlers in Jhelome pits or any sheep farm. Best way to train is to have a fast weapon equiped that you are not proficent in with no shield.

F

frodofeet

<blockquote><hr>

I am only looking for PVM ideas. Here are my current skills.

Anatomy 66.5
Focus 34.8
Healing 16.3
Parrying 46.4
Swordsmanship 92.7
Tactics 95.6
Mining 84.9 (Planning on soulstoning this to another character)
Tinkering 51.4 (Planning on soulstoning this as well)
Magery 34.6 (Read I dont need this for scrolls anymore)
Resist Spells 21.7
Hiding 56.7 (Needed this for mining years ago before Trammel)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can highly recommend building up to the template I'm currently using. I, like yourself, only use it for PvM. This template is not by any means unique to me, it is probably the most commonly used "Warrior" PvM template out there atm... some have various levels of 100-120 in each skill, but the actual skills remain the same:

Swords - 110
Tactics - 110
Anatomy - 110
Healing - 100
Parrying - 110
Resist - 100
Chivalry - 80

STR - 120
DEX - 80
INT - 40

This is with my stat cap at 240. If your stat cap is only 230, drop str to 110. You can buy stat cap increase scrolls from player vendors which increase you stat cap by +5, +10 up to +25. But you'll be fine at 230 until you can afford to buy one.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need Magery because Chivalry gives you all you would need to replace it:

Recall --&gt; Sacred Journey to get about
GHeal --&gt; Close Wounds (backup only as you have bandies)
Cure --&gt; Cleanse By Fire

Three other great Chiv spells are Remove Curse, Enemy of One &amp; Consecrate Weapon. And all can be cast withough regs, yay!

<blockquote><hr>

Additionally, I am pretty much only using GM made armor and weapons that I made myself. I hear that really isn't good anymore, but with all the changes I have no idea what I should be looking for. Most of what I read around have things listed in acronyms that I don't know what they mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll hear about ppl talking about a full 70's suit... basically means you have 70 (maximum) resist in all element types, physical, fire, cold, etc. You want to find armor which gets these values as high as possible... if you can get them all 50+ to start and then gradually find better pieces as you go along, that'll be fine.

Jewellery (rings &amp; bracelets) &amp; your shield have lots of different properties on them now, but the ones you should look for on your warrior is:

STR, DEX, HCI, DCI, DI:

- HCI - Hit Chance Increase, improves your chance to hit
- DCI - Defence Chance Increase, improves your chance to defend against being hit
- DI - Damage Increase, this is a good one to have

If you can find a ring or bracelet with 2 or 3 of these properties, that'd be good. Anything over 10% in HCI/DCI &amp; 20% in DI are good.

Find a good weapon. The best properties to look out for are SSI (Swing Speed Increse) and DI (Damage Increase). Anything over 20% in SSI &amp; 30% in DI are good starting values. Also be on the lookout for Super Slayer properties like Repond Slayer, Reptile Slayer, Demon Slayer, Undead Slayer which do double damage to all monsters in each respective group.

If you do find or buy anything good, be sure to Insure it by using the context menu on your character. Insurance means it will stay with you when you die. But bear in mind it costs 600g for each item insured upon death.

<blockquote><hr>

Also, I don't really know where to go and fight to try to raise the skills I do have. I went and fought some Harpy's in Covetous last night, but I am sure there must be better places with the new expansions and all that.

Anybody have any rough suggestions to help an old returning player figure out some stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to stick to the 'old' dungeons like Despise or Shame (or even Covetous) because killing monsters in these legacy dungeons will eventually give you a free 10th anniversary artifact in your backpack.

Be wary of going to Destard, there are a new breed of Super Dragons now spawning and they can have you going oOOoooOOo before you've had a chance to say "wtf!"...

If you get bored with the legacy dungeons, try wandering around Illshenar, but remember you can't recall in or mark in this facet, only recall (sacred journey) out. So you need to go there via a moongate. Be wary of any monsters labelled (Paragon). They are nasty, very fast versions of the monster.

There were also a few new dungeons introduced with ML that you might want to check out.

I can recommend this site for further info... UOGuide

I

imported_Risso

Most vendor armour, especially with fancy mods and high resists is way overpriced, so you'd be much better off making it yourself. I would strongly recommend finishing off your tailor or even taking them up to 120 skill with a Powerscroll. Filling out tailor Bulk Order Deeds can reward you with Runic Sewing Kits, which can then be used to create better armour. Also, as you are a warrior it would be much more profitable to go to Felucca and collect the leather yourself, as animals and monsters there give double resources

G

Thank you Risso. I finished my tailor up to GM, and now I have started the process of getting the BOD's whenever available. And searching vendors as I pass them to see if I get get the smalls needed for some larges in the mean time. Eventually I should be able to get myself a runic and make some armor to use. As for now I am still using my plate armor, and weapons I made with a shadow runic hammer I had, so I am doing decently. Mostly I spend my time in Shame killing earth elementals since I can't really figure out anyplace else to go where they aren't too easy, (went to despise to get some spined leather for a BOD, and it was very easy) or too hard for me to kill as of yet. I tried to step into Destard just to see if there were any dead bodies laying around I could skin, and promptly was smacked by a dragon sitting at the entrance, lol.

Some of my skills are still pretty low and will take me time to raise them, like healing, but that is starting to raise decently now too so I have a lot more staying power in Shame, and don't have to back out as much if I get swarmed by 4 or 5 at a time. I can actually bandage myself while fighting now without failing so much, even though my healing is only up to about 45. It should get a lot better as it goes up.

My only problem is getting my strength to go up. I want to get it to 120, but it has not raised from 100 yet, and that is after about 2 weeks of fighting. Originally I got it to 100 by smithing, but I have soulstoned the GM smith skill off to my tailor. I hope it will start to go up and there isn't anything special I need to do for it.

I

imported_Desolation87

I found starting ou to be tough also, and the thought of spell catsers going near my warrior still scares me! However, I find using the right weapon for the right place a big help. Pick yourself up a Soul seeker and go to painted caves (New ML one) now, the guy at the top (A Lurg) you won't beat on your own. But the troglodytes that spawn fast, will be easily sliced and diced on your blade. All due to the fact it is a repond slayer! Having life, stamina and mana leech is also an awesome bonus. Fighting these trogs you will get 600gold(? i think) and bandies! In my opinion however, changing your armour to leather, being a warrior I wouldn't of thought you see any difference. The key is resists, get a high all 70s suit or even 60s and you will notice the damage being reduced!

But the key for me, is right weapon, right place. I carry about 6 different weps on me all the time! (Just incase
)