• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need instructions on complicated stair design

G

I like this stair design from a Catskills house, The Pink Palace, by Breyn Darkthorne, located ne of Luna.

Could one of the contributors here who has expertise in stair-making give instructions as to how to reproduce the more complicated staircase at the back of the house? Thanks a LOT.

M

mutau

Wow. i'm editing this because, i am at a loss for words (a few times) looking at that pic. hehehe. Gonna have to try it myself now!

I

imported_ejpeters

Where exactly is that house? I wnt out to look for it and couln't find it. Would love to try to replicate those stairs.

G

Lovely house, so elegant!

I am still pretty much a n00b at this chopped stair business, but I created something similar to this layout on Test a few days ago (and here I thought I was being original with my design.
) but I used sandstone for mine. I will work on trying to reproduce this pic exactly, and making a step by step tutorial, as you really need exact sequence, seeing final sections is no help when you don't know how to do it.

The key to this stuff is that you are often using stair placement in intermediate phases ONLY to be able to erase other stair pieces later, so you kind of have to work backwards, thinking along the lines, what needs to be here first to delete this piece later. If you look at the spiral stair sticky, you will get the gist of what to do from Sarsmi's tutorial, and the examples in there, and be able to apply the concepts of the chopped stairs to anything really. Remember to start 1 tile away from wall, and pick the right kinds of wall tiles that match your stairs to form the finishing pieces of your stair blocks "walls" (some of them don't look so good due to the varied thickness) and you will catch on. I will say right off, expect some frustration, because one mistake means you often have to start over (i.e. you have one stupid chunk of stairs marring your beautiful design at the end, that you realize can only be erased by a section that must be placed close to the start.
).

This kind of thing with the platform is pretty easy as far as the chopped stair design possibilities, so I know I can explain how to do this part. By way of example, this is a portion of a vendor house I made for someone a couple of weeks ago.

-Skylark

G

Think I almost have it from looking at the picture. Give me a bit to log in and test some things out real fast and I'll come back and edit with either instructions or admittance that I have no idea how in the hell they did it.

**Edit #2-Thanks to Teeshy for pointing out where I misplaced some stairs. Let's try this again...

1. Place your backside walls where you want them and then place 9 teleporters 2 tiles back from the walls.

2. Place the lower set of north stairs over these teleporters, then delete the teleporters through the method in the sticky post up top.

3. Lay down three teleporters as shown in the picture.

4. Place a west facing stair over the teleporters and cut the stairs.

5. Place your upper row of north stairs.

6. Delete the west facing single stair so it will remove the lowest steps from your second row of north stairs.

7. Place two rows of teleporters between the north facing stairs.

8 & 9. Place east and west facing stairs and cut as needed.

10. Finished product. Ignore the black gozas, only cloth I had on hand at the moment.

G

I think you've got your first 3 "placements" all one tile too far forward? Because shouldn't that last staircase have the first "step" deleted? Otherwise the gozas won't make such a nice platform

If I could find a spot on test to place I'd try it to show you what I meant =P

*edits* What I mean is, you've got your first north running staircase starting on the 8th tile from the wall, and it should be on the 7th I think. So you put your north running down first, but one tile more towards the north than you have.

Then place the east running stairs, and then the second north running, so you can use the north-most of the east running stairs to chop the bottom step off the bigger north running stairs.

Is that making any sense?

G

*looks at revision*

Hooray! Nice instructions, Des.

-Skylark

G

[censored]...good catch.
Didn't notice that at first until I looked again after reading your post. To OP, I'll update my reply in a moment with the extra step.
And thanks Teeshy for being more observant than I was...heh.

G

*chuckles* I'm just glad it made sense, I've been awake 2 hours, and it's only just 5:30AM =P I don't expect to make sense this early! LOL!

G

Reply has been updated with the correct steps...I think...lol. At least it looks more right this time after I take a second look. If anyone notices anything wrong, let me know so I can correct it.

G

Great instructions! =D

I'm thinking I might have to open a second account, just cos I miss customising houses =P And I can never seem to find a spot on test!

Oh, I lie, I did once, but then it dissappeared, and I lag SO bad on there =P

G

<blockquote><hr>

Great instructions! =D

I'm thinking I might have to open a second account, just cos I miss customising houses =P And I can never seem to find a spot on test!

Oh, I lie, I did once, but then it dissappeared, and I lag SO bad on there =P

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that house placement has been broken for 2 months on the current Test Center. Fortunately, I had an 18X18 there, and that particular test build has been up a looooong time as such things go, so at least I have had something to work with, unlike many others. They are going to wipe it soon for a new publish set, guess I better get my designs documented soon as well.

-Skylark

G

This is a very pretty house. Took me forever to find it. Btw, Catskills has some very cool housing designs.

I

imported_ejpeters

Where is it? I have walked all over and couldn't locate it.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color="purple"> oh good, glad I'm not the only one ~~ looked all over, ran like heck from a crystal elemental (new character) and could not find this stunning home ~~ Melina, out from the north gate or the east gate, please? </font>

I

imported_ejpeters

I finally found it. It is on the far shor almost from Luna. All the way out NE almost to the water line.

G

East gate. Basically run through the forest. Here are coordinates from the front steps.

73o 29'N, 39o 1'E

G

What are the pedestal things at the bottom corners of the staircase in question?

G

Those look a lot like one of the tombstone variations that drop on the Grizzled peerless. I can't seem to find a pic though, to confirm.

-Skylark

G

Thanks! The only place I could find pics of all of them together was a Japanese site: here.

They actually have almost all the ML loot items listed by category. Fortunately the main item headings are in English, the pics are self explanatory without knowing Japanese.

-Skylark

G

Someone needs to add this design to the spiral stairway sticky on top, I had a devil of a time trying to find it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Someone needs to add this design to the spiral stairway sticky on top, I had a devil of a time trying to find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...I thought Desperado did that already, but I don't see it anywhere.

At any rate, anyone can add to the sticky threads. It is done now...really wasn't sure which sticky was most appropriate so I added it to the spiral stair one.

-Skylark

G

Sorry this reply has taken a while. I should have posted the coordinates to the house to begin with. The house is on Catskills shard, located not too far east of Luna, and is at 73 13N 38 57E.

Thanks everyone for working on the instructions.

G

Thanks Skylark...meant to do that, but been a bit busy in RL and it completely slipped my mind until I saw your post.