• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need Info on Bonsai Seeds

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been cleaning out houses and came across a stash of five types of bonsai seeds I collected back in 2006 (about 70 total). I've tried several times to wade through the threads in this forum to get an idea of what you can do with the bonsai seeds, but am rather confused at this point.

Can anyone point me to something, anything that gives any kind of description of what you can do with these seeds besides just grow them for the original and intended plants? LOL I hate the thought of throwing them away if I could actually do something interesting with them that I can't do with freshly collected bonsai seeds and I know I will never find a use for ordinary old bonsai plants.

Thanks much.

Edited to add: I also have about some "old" seeds from the Naturalist quest. Some from 2006 and some from about mid-2008. Is there anything unique about these that sets them apart from the ones you can get now that I should be aware of?

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not sure if they can be used for plant parts for staining or basket weaving or not. Other than the intended plant I don't think they have another use.

M

Myna

bonsais are of use for EA only

they fill your storage so you are forced to buy a storage token

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess my question should have been clearer. Can you grow the bonsai plants in colors other than their original color?

I found some posts/threads that seemed to indicate you could do this but the information was mixed in with posts about other discoveries about cross-breeding.

If you can grow the bonsai in other colors, would someone be willing to write up a brief description of the process?

I'm not sure I will actually do it, but I'd like to make sure it doesn't require the use of "old" bonsai seeds versus ones you can collect today. If you can grow bonsai in colors off bonsai seeds you collected today, I'll just pitch the old ones I have stored away.

Thanks.

B

Beastmaster

Tina the colored bonsai are all the result of crossbreeding flowery cactus. Wade through that long thread about discoveries and you'll find some crossing charts in there.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, Beastmaster. Do you know if the crossbreeding works with freshly gathered bonsai seeds, or must they be ones gathered before a certain patch or publish?

D

Dragonchilde

The cross breeding only works with colored cactus seeds. The bonsai seeds you collect are considered mutants, and are unable to cross breed.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, you can't ever cross anything plain to get anything colored. And typically you can't cross a mutant plant at all (white, black, solen, bonsai, new plain plants, cocoa). The reason we can get colored bonsai now (and hops and spider etc) is because the flowery cactus seeds are dropping in color off of the boglings. They are simply labled "cactus". This bypasses the mutant label because the colored cactus are considered to be rushes instead of cactus (I think).

So the process to get bonsai would be to gather "cactus" seeds in red, yellow and blue from boglings, then grow them and cross them with colored legacy plants to get bonsai. I think century plants and rushes both give common bonsai, there are a couple charts in the other thread.

BTW I would first grow your 'cactus' plants out all the way so you have 8 seeds from each to play with and never have to gather again (always let one self polinate and grow out so you always have flowery cactus seeds in each color).

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, Sarsmi!

It sounds like the bonsai seeds that I have stored away will never become anything other than what they were intended to be and can be easily replaced if I ever want to grow normal bonsai. They'll be going in the trash as soon as I can log on. Can't wait until seeds stack so I can free up even more space!

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, Sarsmi!

It sounds like the bonsai seeds that I have stored away will never become anything other than what they were intended to be and can be easily replaced if I ever want to grow normal bonsai. They'll be going in the trash as soon as I can log on. Can't wait until seeds stack so I can free up even more space!
Yah toss em cause you can always take the looted "cactus" seeds to cross with plain plants and get plain bonsai seeds that way. Which reminds me, I have some bonsai seeds I could toss as well, lol. :p

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yah toss em cause you can always take the looted "cactus" seeds to cross with plain plants and get plain bonsai seeds that way. Which reminds me, I have some bonsai seeds I could toss as well, lol. :p
That reminds me, we will soon need to discuss my stash of colored plants on Baja. After I check with guildmates and find out if anyone wants to make dye out of any of it, the rest of that stash is yours if you want it. I'll be saving a seed supply but just have no use for saving clippings or dye because I'm learning (once again) I'll never make a good UO merchant.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That reminds me, we will soon need to discuss my stash of colored plants on Baja. After I check with guildmates and find out if anyone wants to make dye out of any of it, the rest of that stash is yours if you want it. I'll be saving a seed supply but just have no use for saving clippings or dye because I'm learning (once again) I'll never make a good UO merchant.
Well heck, you will save on storage turning all those plants into nice stackable clippings. I'm assuming they're stackable! But yeah, I will take whatever no one else wants/needs. :p

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well heck, you will save on storage turning all those plants into nice stackable clippings. I'm assuming they're stackable! But yeah, I will take whatever no one else wants/needs. :p
Yes, clippings stack and so do the venom vials. Not so sure about the pigments or the dyes though.