• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need help...

Hello there everyone. It's Raven here. Basically I'm new to this role playing thing so please someone explain it me? I'll really appreciate it.☺

Sent from my Micromax A106 using Tapatalk

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Roleplaying is mostly speaking and acting however the character you are roleplaying as would. It's a bit hard to explain since each person roleplays differently, there is no incorrect way to do it, it's just however you want to play your character.

This link might be helpful: http://stratics.com/threads/role-playing-101.338396/

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Many folk think role-playing is "difficult" or that they can't do it right.

Truth is there is no "right" or "wrong" really if you just think about how your character would react to things. Certainly your character can't "see" someones name floating over their head even though clearly you can. So with that in mind how do you approach a role-player. Well most normally you just walk up and say "Hello.... Or Greetings or something similar... Sometimes you introduce yourself.... "Greetings I am Ariel of Yew." Etc....

You might think about these things before you get started in a role-playing community such as:
  • Where is my character from?
  • Where were they raised?
  • Do they have an accent, talk with a studder, lisp?
  • Any distinguishing characteristics. Such as they walk with a slight limp, they have a patch over one eye, or perhaps a prominent scar. Things like this gives your character a bit of definition and you can use this when your meeting folk... emoting things like... *limps slightly as he walks toward the door* or something like that.
  • What race is your character? Sometimes this plays an important role in who your character is. Have you ever played Dungeons and Dragons? Perhaps you remember a good movie about elves or something and you might emulate your character after another race perhaps from there or from a favorite character in a book you enjoyed.
  • What is your characters profession? Are they a skilled craftsman? Perhaps a beggar? Maybe they were in the Royal Guard but left and are now working as a Mercenary or Sword for hire. Seamstress perhaps? Remember you are only limited by your own imagination.... and the game mechanics. It's rather hard to say that you are a God or an Astronaut if well you can't be invincible or go into space.... though maybe you could design a believable rocket ship...
Mostly it's about having fun... and really immersing yourself in the game. To me role-playing is an escape from the dull life of a single parent/Grandparent and the monotony of everyday living. No worries about real life things when my character is braving and exploring a strange new land.

I could give some examples of some role-play I have done over the years. One time I decided I wanted to play a cute little fuzzy bunny... so I opted to create a Ninja character since they can turn into a bunny and I gave it the name "a rabbit".... Now cute little bunny (Me as a ninja in Rabbit form) went to Luna and decided to hop about and did things like *nibbles on the grass*, *pauses from nibbling grass to gaze about nervously* the cute little bunny delighted in doing things like hopping over to folk and *sniffs about* around their feet... and then sometimes *nibbles on robe*.... sometimes bunny would get chased by another person in dog form and they would *screeches in terror and hops away rapidly!* ..... and sometimes other people would be nice and give the little rabbit some carrots.... in which he would *Happily munches the carrots* ... I've also played characters like "a dog" and "a cat"... Also mildly entertaining. What was really fun was *magically reproduces* and I would cast mirror image several times... This is a fun way of working up a ninja.. without just standing there spamming spells.

I have role-played my beggar Bill... Bill would go to Luna and work his begging on the NPC's there but at the same time he'd ply his trade on the people at the bank there... saying things like *Alms for the poor*..... and *You look like a fine warrior... Might you spare a few coins for your fellow man?*..... and things of that nature.. and if people gave him gold he would say things like *Bless you, may Virtue smile upon you this day!* And if they told me to get lost and go out and hunt on my own... he'd say *I'm but a poor old man... My arms are too aged and weak to wield a weapon any longer.* and *But I have.... 6 no 8 children to feed! Can you not spare a few coins?* And things like that. Sometimes he would curse them... *May you get eaten by a hungry dragon or a Rabid Beaver!*

Anyway hope that helps.