• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need help with mage template

L

Lord Sturm

I am considering building a mage for pvm, mainly Doom and champ spawns.
This is the template I am considering;

mage, eval, med, spellweaving, resist spells, scribe
rest in wrestling more than likely.

Any thoughts?

p.s. Be gentle lol

----Sturm

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure about Doom, but that template *can* be effective in a spawn, but it takes alot of mana management and a high level arcane focus (5-6).

Gus of Llanowar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have almost the same template. but in my case i scratched the scribe and added tactics. i also equip my mage with swords of prosperity. with it being a mage weapon of -0 and i am legendary mage it also grats me 120 swordsmanship plus gives u 200 luck. fire spells are almost useless in doom except for dark father. it gets rough with the lesser bosses cause most are resistant to fire. as ailish said an arcane focus of 5 or 6 is awesome. im also legendary in spellweaveing. last month when doing tragedy i had an arcane focus of 5 and was hitting her for almost 500 points of damage with word of death. WoD is the best PvM spell in game when u learn how to use it.

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggest anatomy instead of wrestling to save a few points for the same defense benefit. Wrestling is only good for PvP (disarm). Most folks are going necromage these days, but SW is probably good for PvM if you have SW friends (or enough accounts) to focus with.

SDI 50+ is important, and super slayer scrappers are the 'ultimate' but pricey.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds almost exactly like my Mage. GM Magery/120 Eval/GM Med/GM SW/GM Inscrip/GM Wrest/GM Resist. I'd say Wrest is more useful than Anatomy for a Mage, since it has offensive capacities as well as defensive. Pisses people off when i Para Punch them and cast Gift of Renewal on myself or Essence of Wind. That Para Punch can be the difference between life and death in PvM too.

D

dielock

My Mage is my main guy. Built for PVM only and he pretty much kicks butt anywhere he goes (his armor is crappy so he does his share of dying). He can solo greater dragons (although they take a long time to kill by himself) and be a great help in doom or any other major spawn.
120 Magery
120 Peace
120 Prov.
120 Music.
120 Eval.
115 Med.

He has 45 SDI. 130 HP, 150 Med, 10 Dex and a bunch of mana regen.

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have wrestling myself, but recommend anatomy for PvM to save some skill points that can be used elsewhere to greater benefit (imo).... wrestling is great for PvP though.

(Anat+Eval+20/2) So with 120 Eval, all one would need is GM Anatomy to get the equivalent of 120 Wrestling (minus the specials of course).

Another stat I try to get to at least 30 (and preferably 40) on 'elite' suits is LMC. Very nice to have.