• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Cartography] Need help, recently reactivated.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, as far as I remember, I could only gain skill in carto when I deciphered level 3 & 4 maps during power hour. How has this (if at all) changed? If so, how does one get to GM Carto now a days?

Also this is my current (old school) template, working with 740.0 points (old school account), what are you suggestions?

- GM Archery
- GM Tactics
- 95.5 Carto
- 84.9 LP
- 90.6 Magery
- 86.0 Mining (is this even needed anymore?)
- 43.5 Meditation

I was thinking I already have a PvM Tamer (on another account) and do not really want another, but I could do the music, peace, and provoke thing... that sounds interesting. Don't really know what Discordance is or how its used or how to raise it, so I would need advice on that as well. I do not see any templates out there with mining, is that not a needed thing anymore? Also, I am mostly a GROUP-BASED hunter, not really a solo-artist. I do treasure hunts with my guildies.

Thoughts, suggestions, walkthroughs? LOL

- Pandy

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Power Hour hasn't existed in 8 years, at least. There is the Guaranteed Gain System, though, where you can get a gain automatically ever day at high levels, if you've not had one in that period.

You can gain up to 99.5 Carto, just making world maps (then you can decode 1 level 2-4 map per day, to get the other 0.5). Lockpicking using GM-tinker Carpenter made locked boxes only goes to 95.0. However, the anti-macro code that made LP training require 100-200 boxes is no more, so you can get to 95 using just 1 box.

The Vet bonus to skills caps out at 720, so you don't have 740 - but items with skill bonuses can raise you higher; also, around the time you probably quit playing, they made it to where active account months only count toward account age (with the exception of the months you're account had already been around). I personally have 720 point characters, with equipment raising me into the 780s to low 800s.

If you're old enough to remember power hour, and not know Discordance, then you probably don't know about Power Scrolls. PS come from Champion Spawns in Felluca, and raise combat and support skill caps over 100 (but still within the 700-720 total skill cap). Carto, LP & Mining don't have PS, so they are still capped at 100.

Discordance is a Bard skill that reduces a monster target's skills, resists and stats by up to 20%. Only a couple of monsters have access to the skill to use on YOU, and one of those is the Satyrs in the Twisted Weald (found inside the Ilshenar Spirit mushroom cave, after you do a quest in the Elven city of Heartwood, itself reached in the center of Yew). If you look around on the forum, you can find a technique to get discorded by the satyrs, then get it to break off aggression, to let you use world maps and a locked box to get both skills to GM real skill while discorded.

Mining isn't needed if you have access to a rune library with books marked for the runes.

Consider picking up chivalry or bushido for an archer. If you're only going to be doing group hunts, level 1-2 can still be done solo (maybe up to level 1-4) but you got to be able to recall/sacred journey out of the chest zone the second the monsters spawn on the level 3-6 maps. If someone else in the party has peacing, let them do the peacing, and you can stay an archer. Otherwise, you'll probably want to have music and peace, at least. Of course, I'm nuts, and do level 1-5 maps solo with a swordsman. Others have more experience with Bard T-hunters, but many of them also solo all theirs too.

That's a good start - anyone else want to chime in on advice?

I

italiano1958

do you have a link from yourself or someone else that has easy ways to find level 4 and level 5 t-maps in the game i have a tamer with a super dragon that has 123.3 in wrestling and 117.0 in magery and 115 in spell resist; so with those skills i should not have any problems in finding monsters that i can kill and get level 4's and level 5's in no time any suggestion what easy places i can hunt for easy monsters that have level 4 and level 5 treaure maps plz??? thanks.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Level 4 - my favorite way of getting them is to go to Ilshenar Honesty moongate, then go north. Make an immediate right as you pass through the mountain, and go across the bridge, through the ettins, to the cavern with ettins, Titans and Cyclopean warriors.

The ettins will have level 1 maps, and if paragon, chests with level 2 maps.
The Cyclopeans will have level 3 maps, and paragons may have chests with level 4 maps.
Titans have level 5 maps, and paragon titans can have chests with level 6 maps.

This effectively covers all your map needs, as well as paragon chests to loot.