• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Need help clarifying the cactus bug

• Thread starter Jon the Fisherman
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
J

Jon the Fisherman

I use poppie dust on my bogling seeds and see that i will grow snake plant, tribarrel, etc. Will it be accurate? I plan to grow those plants then harvest the seeds. I should use poppie dust again to ensure that I will have the expected seed types? When I attempt to cross-pol in order to get the green then bright green cacti, will they be random? I'm trying to get the thorns. If it's random then i will wait for a fix or forget about it.

D

DHMagicMan_1

I use poppie dust on my bogling seeds and see that i will grow snake plant, tribarrel, etc. Will it be accurate? I plan to grow those plants then harvest the seeds. I should use poppie dust again to ensure that I will have the expected seed types? When I attempt to cross-pol in order to get the green then bright green cacti, will they be random? I'm trying to get the thorns. If it's random then i will wait for a fix or forget about it.
If you get a yellow and blue snake plant, and cross those to get green, it should be a green snake plant. Cross two green snake plants to get bright green and thorns. I think that should all work. Single barrel cacti which also produces green thorns would be trickier because of the cactus bug.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The poppy dust will identify the seeds correctly. Crossing any plant with any type of cactus will produce the correct color, but the plant will end up a random plant. I doubt this bug is going to be fixed in the near future. If you play on Legends, I will be happy to give you starter seeds. Good luck. :)

Hrothgard

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the first I have heard of a cactus bug :(

I just planted my Red/Blue/Yellow Cactus to cross with my spider trees (Round 2 of suggested crossing from the colored plant oddities thread). I believe this is supposed to produce diff colored hops. Are you all saying that it will in fact produce random plants now ???

ouchies :(

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrothgard, your crossbreeding to get the colored hops should still work. Or at least it did a few months ago.

I believe the "cactus bug" that they are referring to has to do with what one should normally get by crossbreeding the different type cactus.
(Example, crossing a water plant with a tribarrel cactus should yield a prickly pear cactus - but now that there is a glitch with different cactus type plants, that particular crossbreed could yield just about anything.)

If I'm not mistaken, the "cactus" seed now gotten from boglings, did not exist a couple of years ago. It was when this "cactus" seed (yields a colored cactus with the little flower on it) came into the game that it threw off how all the other cactus type seeds responded to crossbreeding. So the bug that allows you to do the odd crossbreeding, is the same bug that threw off the rest of the cactus crossbreeding.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NP Hrothgard,

If I recall the whole thing started about the same time that the peculiar plants came out. It was a fun bug/project to do all the crossbreeding to grow them all. I grew them by what seemed to be the tons!! In all 12 colors. This same bug also allowed to grow the bonsai in all the different colors and shapes. Which of course I did that too!!! The only problem was.... very few people actually seemed interested in any of them, with the exception of a few green and orange spider trees. I ended up turning all the spider trees, hops (facing both directions) into plant clippings. I tried to cut up all the bonsai too except the little clippers just wouldn't cut em.

Hrothgard

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Sonoma I get some pretty regular buyers for deco plants. Seems the hedges always go quickly. To my surprise some of the rare colored plants I have put up lately have not moved very well. I have a white cypress tree and a black tall hedge (to name a couple) that have been on the vendor just over a week without selling. I thought they would sell quickly. I give them about 2 weeks on vendor then I cut them up for dyes.

:)

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is happening in some the first barrel and tribarrel catus you need that stratics square crossing table and not the circle type. Crossing a snake with a barrel should get prickly. But go to the top of the table in the prickly row you get Rushes instead. It is also possible to cross two tribarrel and get the fern in the top of that row. Goes across the bottom line crossing with the barrel or tribarrel will get you the plant on the top row instead. Then there is the crossing of the barrel and tribarrel and others like themselves can get the peculiar catus type.

The trick is to get all the seed types (even the catus) from the boglings before dusting for plant type. Red,Blue,Yellow and maybe plain. Look at it as the shell game with 19 choices. Once you have 19 of a color start dusting the orderly rows of seeds. Stop as soon as you hit catus. You know the rest of the seeds are junk (not catus) but not revealed. The object is to have in the end to have one each of the catus seeds undusted. So when you go hunting you put one each theese undusted catus seeds in a bag and only take home what stacks with them. Saves on the poppy dust.

The stacking of seeds I though was a lessing and removed all my from my living plants. Afterwords relized it is better to have a living plant in a secure container at home. Then to have a stack of a zillion seeds of that plant type. Just better to have that one lock as a plant you can cross with then a seed lock used.

The bonsi can be used to cross and will always act as a rush plant of the same color. They can be gotten in all 7 types in color right down to the rare white and black. Crossing catus, hops and spider tree with any the first plants gets the bonsi spread of thier types.

I know in a few odd crossings like an orange barrel with a purple tribarrel to get their common color red plant or odd catus, I have gotten green fern instead.