• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need a little help with my fire steed

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everyone,

I'm late to the new animal training party and not really clear on how to best train a pet. I started with a fire steed I had in my stables, but after the first upgrade round I'm kind of lost on how to go on. So please have a look at it and tell me what you would do.

I don't plan to use it as my primary pet but rather for certain enemies, those with weak fire defense probably.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
What is your tamer's spec? Things just off the top of my head, you will probably need more hit points, the minimum I have on an active hunting pet is 500, also you should max out his stamina

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is your tamer's spec? Things just off the top of my head, you will probably need more hit points, the minimum I have on an active hunting pet is 500, also you should max out his stamina
Thanks, I was unsure how much to spent on the basic stats and if it's better to raise the base value (str, dex, int) or the derived stats (hp, stam, mana). Looks like the latter, right?

If by tamer's spec you mean my template, here you go:
120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Veterinary
115 Magery (effectivly 95, mage weapon)
120 Music
120 Bardingskill of choice

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Stan will increase your pets swing speed and as a AI user he is a melee pet so that's why, and I asked about your spec (template, yes) because if you did not have vet I would have suggested a 600-700 hp range. Maxing strength is a good idea too as already stated. And you're welcome =)

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, as I'm approaching the next slot upgrade, my mental checklist looks like this:
- max. out Str
- 500-700 HP
- max out Stam

We'll see if there are any training points left after that. I'm still unsure if I should put disco or parry or some other skill on it or maybe try to add inferno if I target weak fire resist mobs with this pet. (can I even do this when it already has fire breath? we'll see).

Armor Ignore I choose because nearly everyone seems to be doing that, so I figured it's the most potent special attack.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Parry will show once wrestling is 100 or better. There are occasions where a pet won’t have parry upon reaching 100 wrestling, if that happens just let your pet take some hits from something, anything.

You can another ability on fire steeds, might be an aoe, or something like inferno. If you ask me, I’d suggest not doing that. Pets will burn through whatever you give them for a mana pool very fast, and the more abilities they have the faster that mana goes. I see this with my AI/ goo/ chiv steed. She burns mana much faster then my AI/ chiv steed.

As for Magic’s, you can pick any ONE you like. I’m stressing one here as I see more then a few pick several thinking they can have more then one, that is not the case! Pick one and stick with it. For fire steeds, I like my AI/chiv steed (even though I didn’t use any scrolls on her) and I’m really digging mysticism that I put on another fire steed and on a mare as well. I had thought about disco at one time but have yet to follow through with that on a fire steed.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, I've read that and it is a good read. But I'm still unsure which skill is the best for my pet.

Parry will show once wrestling is 100 or better. There are occasions where a pet won’t have parry upon reaching 100 wrestling, if that happens just let your pet take some hits from something, anything.

You can another ability on fire steeds, might be an aoe, or something like inferno. If you ask me, I’d suggest not doing that. Pets will burn through whatever you give them for a mana pool very fast, and the more abilities they have the faster that mana goes. I see this with my AI/ goo/ chiv steed. She burns mana much faster then my AI/ chiv steed.

As for Magic’s, you can pick any ONE you like. I’m stressing one here as I see more then a few pick several thinking they can have more then one, that is not the case! Pick one and stick with it. For fire steeds, I like my AI/chiv steed (even though I didn’t use any scrolls on her) and I’m really digging mysticism that I put on another fire steed and on a mare as well. I had thought about disco at one time but have yet to follow through with that on a fire steed.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
The mana is a concern, that's why I thought about putting a non-magic skill on the steed. I'm lured to Inferno because of the "reduce fire resistance" thing it got. So if I choose parrying or disco there's hopefully more mana left for AI, Inferno and Fire Breath. But I'm really not sure if parrying is even any good on a pet and if disco fits on a fire steed.

Oh, the possibilities...

Btw, which chiv abilities are pets using anyway? Consecrate weapon? close wounds? enemy of one?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Thank you, I've read that and it is a good read. But I'm still unsure which skill is the best for my pet.

The mana is a concern, that's why I thought about putting a non-magic skill on the steed. I'm lured to Inferno because of the "reduce fire resistance" thing it got. So if I choose parrying or disco there's hopefully more mana left for AI, Inferno and Fire Breath. But I'm really not sure if parrying is even any good on a pet and if disco fits on a fire steed.

Oh, the possibilities...

Btw, which chiv abilities are pets using anyway? Consecrate weapon? close wounds? enemy of one?
I think that all moves use mana? Some more than others. Not only magics. Poisoning I think does not maybe the only one, but not sure. Dico uses mana! Unfortunately,, but not a lot they say.
Chiv uses all :CW, close wounds, cure curse, Enemy of One (at bad times sometimes in mobs--with hard hitting diff mobs get ready to mount and leave if EoO caused drastic HP drop), also Cusidhes commonly heal YOU also, if you are close enough, Wholy light EOA also, may be others too..

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
tl;dr Pets will burn through mana, so work on their Mana Regen. If you want to save training points and money, invest in 110 Meditation/110 Focus, 5 MR, and at least INT of 370+, that will get you 6-7 ticks. The max I found was 8-9.

Well, Mana Regen is really only an issue on a very long fight or during drawn-out fights over multiple mobs (Champ spawns for instance.)

I took my Fire Steed out this morning and have been playing it today, went the Mysticism 120 route, and with just average stats, I'm punching 7 mana per tick. I reasonably see that on most of my pets that I create, 7 being the norm, so I was curious and went to see how Mana Regeneration works for pets.

It's a bit confusing to start out with.

The calculators available do not allow you to go over 168INT.

So, I had to do it all by hand according to: Mana regen formula?

Once I used the math, I found I was getting like 7.11 mana per second with my stats.

Ok, that's cool, that's what I have eyeballed when spamming Animal Lore.

But then I ran totals, because I wanted to see what the max Pet Regen would be if all posssible stats were at max.

Here's my math:
1> .02
2>0.6
3A>MB2.965 (826INT Bless+TastyTreat:13+5=18%)
3B>2.965*1.1=3.2615
3C>Pets Actively Med: 3.2615*2 = 6.523TMB
4A>BIB= 1
4B>3
4C>5.5
4D>1.45
5>Total=0.2+0.6+1.45+6.523=8.773

So, it looks like pets can do 8.773 mana per tick. When I eyeball my mana regen on my pets, sometimes it staggers like 6, then 7, then 7 then 6. So, I'm assuming the ticks would look like this:
8, 17, 26, 35, 43, 52, 61...

That looks like: 8, 9, 9, 9, 8, 9, 9... which is really cool.

If other Vets are more familiar with the max range of Pet Mana Regen please inform me, because I'm making some assumptions from what I have experienced.

So in conclusion, if you are concerned about mana, even if you spend well over 50million on two 120 Focus/Med scrolls, and max out your MR to 30, at most you're going to get 8-9 ticks on MR. I am able to punch out 7/tick from 110F/110M 5MR 757INT on this Fire Steed, atm. This saves me on some of the costly points needed to upgrade MR to max 30. I'm fine with 7/tick. If I have a pet with extra space, I'll max it out though.

Your pet is still going to run out of mana no matter what you do over a period of time in longer fights. So, if you're soley worried about mana, getting rid of certain skills would probably help stifle you a bit. But from experience, at the moment, Armor Ignore is your pet's bread and butter skill, (as evidenced here: AI vs Non AI on a Cu vs Balrons, possibly other posts) so in order to be relevant, you would need to at least have this skill at most. Otherwise, your deeps are going to hurt.

:-] GL

(*Btw, Mytsicism is wicked awesome. I haven't played with that magic school since my return and the AoE is pretty lovely. Probably doesn't trigger as often as my Hiryu with Bushido/Whirlwind, but still, super fun.)

Last edited:

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

Oh, the possibilities...

you can't get inferno(magical ability) on a fire steed as the dragon breath counts as its 1 magical ability and you can only have 1 and i don't believe you can switch either.

Last edited:

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
No matter how much mana or what you put on the fire steed, like most other pets, they will burn through the mana pool. If you want disco, and I think it has lots of value, I say go for it. Mysticism is also fun on pets.
You asked about chiv and the short answer is, all chiv spells are used (as far as I can tell). Will your pets burn through its mana quick, yes. But keep in my nd, pets don’t cast spells or anything like players do. You could say pets see all that mana and try to get rid of it as fast as possible, almost like they hate having mana.
Now if you’re really worried about the mana pool, I’d suggest you grab either a 1 slot or 3 slot hiryu, add armor ignore then add bushido. With 300 or so mana, 30mr, you’ll be hard pressed to see that mana go to zero.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about the mana burn, so long as you have about 600 to 700hp, 700 str, stam/dex to 150, you’ll end up with about 500 to 700 mana, which is plenty. Add disco if you like and enjoy your new super fire steed.

All this talk about disco on a fire steed now has me thinking about doing one as well. That will be a future project for as I have several other pets already planned out.

One last thing, you keep mentioning parry whenever you bring up disco, like it’s a magical ability, that is not so. All pets have parry. Even our old friend the greater dragon. If you don’t believe me, take your greater someplace where they can take some hits, I’ll bet you’ll see parry show up.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright, that makes it much clearer. Thanks!

I don't know where I got the notion that I had to add parry like a magical ability, but thanks for clearing that up!

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
No worries!
As far as crazy thoughts go, thinking parry is a magic you pick is the most tame one I’ve seen.
If you do pick disco, please please please, don’t pick another magic thinking you’ll get a second one, you won’t! Pets can only have one magic active at a time.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you do pick disco, please please please, don’t pick another magic thinking you’ll get a second one, you won’t! Pets can only have one magic active at a time.
That I understood :)

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Once I used the math, I found I was getting like 7.11 mana per second with my stats.

Ok, that's cool, that's what I have eyeballed when spamming Animal Lore.

But then I ran totals, because I wanted to see what the max Pet Regen would be if all posssible stats were at max.
BearCorpse, who is probably one of the best if not the best tester/theory crafter in the game, did a chart regarding mana regen awhile ago. Forget which thread it's in.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A little update as I trained it up to 4 slots in the meantime. Invested the point in str, dex, stam and hp (see attached).

That leaves me with the question of what to invest the last 1501 points when I get there. I figure that I need around 660 points to raise HP to 700 and another 500 points for a magical ability. Which leaves me witch 300 something points to spend. Stamina Reg probably, right?

As magical ability I now tend to either chivalry or mysticism. Disco is probably the wrong choice for me as my tamer is also a bard and can just use the soulstone if I need disco. Still can't decide which of the two :confused2:

And while we're at it: any good training spots to get to the fifth slot easily? Right now I'm doin Navrey and getting good gains, but the steed dies regularly when I get webbed to a wall and can't heal it.

Attachments

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, this won't be my main pet, so I won't be dropping any 120s on it. But 110s or 115s maybe. You're thinking Focus and Meditation?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, this won't be my main pet, so I won't be dropping any 120s on it. But 110s or 115s maybe. You're thinking Focus and Meditation?
You can use it a test pet to see if you do want to scroll one. Don't partially scroll a pet. Fill up good ones after you decide what pet types you like best.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
A little update as I trained it up to 4 slots in the meantime. Invested the point in str, dex, stam and hp (see attached).

That leaves me with the question of what to invest the last 1501 points when I get there. I figure that I need around 660 points to raise HP to 700 and another 500 points for a magical ability. Which leaves me witch 300 something points to spend. Stamina Reg probably, right?

As magical ability I now tend to either chivalry or mysticism. Disco is probably the wrong choice for me as my tamer is also a bard and can just use the soulstone if I need disco. Still can't decide which of the two :confused2:

And while we're at it: any good training spots to get to the fifth slot easily? Right now I'm doin Navrey and getting good gains, but the steed dies regularly when I get webbed to a wall and can't heal it.
Seen many tamers with peace / disco, one of these stoned, and you can use a disco pet using Peace mastery songs, and using Taming mastery consume damage in hard fights. Ive seen HP regen up to 55 or son with consume, depending on amount of damage..So yes you could use disco on pet and be a non-disco bard. For other things, you can use a non-disco pet, and get your bard tamer back into the disco mode..