• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need a design theme for a 12x16?

• Thread starter Kratos Aurion
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
K

Kratos Aurion

Maybe not so much as a theme but an actual design to work with.

I plan on purchasing a 12x16 (3 story) home to use for my Museum so my rune library is less cluttered.

Was hoping someone could share a few inspiring 12x16 designs.

K

Kratos Aurion

:)thanks

Even if its not and its within the design range, it still might be useful for idea purposes:thumbup1:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kratos, I'm not sure if this will help or not. These are shots of a house I used to have on Baja. I took these right before I demolished it. The last shot is in construction mode and it looks to me as if the plot was 14 squares wide and 13 squares deep. The house is kind of big and boxy because I wanted lots of floor space. I used it as my greenhouse for growing plants and storing seeds until I got totally burned out on doing that.

K

Kratos Aurion

its a lovely house but its hard to work with wide house designs since the plot is long/skinny vs cube.

Its more of a rectangle which IMO, makes it harder to design overall since Im a symmetric freak:gee:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know what you mean about the rectangle issue. Perhaps put the house on the west end of the plot and leave some tiles on the east side for a garden. I posted a house kind of like that in the Asian-themed thread elsewhere in this forum. Can't remember the dimensions of that plot, but if you like that design I'll get that information for you.

K

Kratos Aurion

I actually planned on using the old school wall style from castles/keeps/tower etc.

Im just having a problem coming up with a design.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kratos, you might play around with some house styles that are technically asymmetric that will fit on your plot but still be balanced enough in design to satisfy your preference for symmetry. I think such a design on a smaller plot would still let you have an entry way or yard of sorts.

For example, here is a house that is taking up only a portion of an 18X18. Because I had the space, I made the yard a big part of the design, but it didn't have to be if the plot had been smaller.

-Skylark

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh...here is the interior for anyone interested. The owner is a crafter with a busy vendor mall and needed this house for storage...lots of storage! :D I went easy on lockdowns for the extra bits used as deco to maximize the storage capacity.

-Skylark

K

Kratos Aurion

Thats a nice place but Im not particularly looking to use a yard on this plot. Maybe it'd help some if I post my interests in this plot.

-I'd like to use the wall styles from castles/keeps/large towers

-small home design that uses a wide portion of the plot that also offers large areas for museum displays.

And the reason this plot is really small is because of its location. Not that the house size is significant, but the location is superb. Maybe a design that would incorporate a traditional tower theme into the house.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the reason I showed that design is that without the yard, it would maximize building space for display on a small plot but not look like just a big rectangle.

Is the longer side of your plot the E-W segments or is it the N-S segments?

-Skylark

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about something like thissss...
the first Pic shows the main floor with some fancy stairs
Second pic shows the roof area with a storage room on top for your things.
I just used basic tiles.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Painted Elves,

On the ground floor, are the wall sections next to the chopped stairs needed for upper floor support? If not, removing them would open up a little display area on either side of the stairs. A statue on a pedestal, suit of armor, etc. could go in there.

-Skylark

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Painted Elves,

On the ground floor, are the wall sections next to the chopped stairs needed for upper floor support? If not, removing them would open up a little display area on either side of the stairs. A statue on a pedestal, suit of armor, etc. could go in there.

-Skylark
not for Support, but I put doors there with a teleporter to the "storage room" behind it.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This house is 12 tiles wide and 16 tiles deep. It doesn't have the walls you're looking for, but maybe it'll give you some ideas. The front yard is big enough to place a few vendors. Teleporters are located to the right and left of the front door. I did two views of the roof...one with no chimneys poking through and one with both chimneys.

K

Kratos Aurion

thanks for those! I can probably work around with both. I dont plan on using a storage space so I can probably just open up every room and make more display areas.

I try not to lay stuff out. I usually incorporate items into house deco etc.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a very small house on Wakoku that I saw last year, near the Moonglow moongate. I thought I'd post it here because the plot is very rectangular, although quite a bit smaller than yours and not the same orientation or wall types you want. However, maybe it'll provide a few more ideas. Or maybe it will help someone else working with a rectangular plot.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, there is something about the plaster and wood houses that make me think of chocolate frosted white layer cakes. Viewing your houses makes me want cake, and there isn't any! :sad4:

You have some really nice designs. Thanks for sharing them.

-Skylark

K

Kratos Aurion

little houses are awsome! I just never had the ability to design a good house. Its rare when I do.

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found this on Origin shard, just out the West side from the bank in Luna.
Thought you might like the idea...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kratos, I think this house is 14x16, but it may not be at all what you're looking for. It's pretty plain. However, it does use the wall tiles you mentioned.

Here is the same house in KR:

K

Kratos Aurion

All the screenies give me good idea for customization. Maybe not outside but Im horrible at doing rooms sometimes. The 14x16 has good interior design which helps in the long run.

Thanks for posting it:)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad to help. I can't remember if I ever tried to use the door tiles (the ones that look like part of the wall) on the walls right behind the arches, so that you could open the door and step out into the arch. I think I did try it and I believe it worked too but I didn't keep it that way.

A few notes on the teleporter pads in that house, since you can't see all of them without transparency on.

- The teleporter pad on the porch brings you in just to the north of the steps across from the rune books.

- There are two teleporter pads in the SE corner of the 1st floor. One takes you to the NE corner of the bedroom and the other takes you to the NE corner of the roof.

M

MonkeyPantz

Oh...here is the interior for anyone interested. The owner is a crafter with a busy vendor mall and needed this house for storage...lots of storage! :D I went easy on lockdowns for the extra bits used as deco to maximize the storage capacity.

-Skylark

Woahh that looks amazing !

A

Ashyn

I actually planned on using the old school wall style from castles/keeps/tower etc.

Im just having a problem coming up with a design.
The old school walls have more options (the rounded walls and such), but also seem to visually take up more room on the screen (thicker). Personally, I don't like to use them for display houses or rune libraries, but that's just me.

Until recently, I had two 16 x 12's in Zento, and actually enjoy customizing the smaller houses. I also had a who knows what in Umbra and another in Luna....neither were big. Here they are (I know you don't want much yard according to comments in this thread, but they're really great to display outdoor-type rares).

Umbra:

Luna:

Zento 1:

Inside---

Zento 2:

Inside---

-Ashyn

K

Kratos Aurion

Wow those are cool. The bridge idea is pretty neat, especially with rubble now itd be pretty cool to deco with:ten:

A

Azureal

@ Ashyn: Just wow! Those are some great, awe inspiring designs. The attic window in the roof looks fantastic.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok I did this on test and took pics in paint which is why they are a bit cruddy. I tried to stick to museum + symmetry + castle/keep/wall type. The "display" cases are made of short and medium wood walls and goza mats, I did a mix of wall heights to give an idea of how they would look in case you want to do something like that. I also screwed up on the roof and didn't notice till I laid down almost all the goza mats, so I didn't fix it, hehe.

First floor:

Second floor:

Third floor:

Roof:

Front of house:

Side of house:

A

Azureal

Over the next few days Im going to be messing around with chopping up stair cases, got a few designs I want to try and implement. But holy crap Sarsmi...thats unbelievable.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why thank yew! Was fun to mess around with housing when I haven't in so long. It's like riding a bike tho, you fall off and skin your knees a lot and then before you know it 4 hours have passed and you missed dinner. Er, yeah. Just like riding a bike. :thumbup1:

C

Chaotic Barbie

Very nice Sarsmi! I love the hanging lanterns on the first floor :D

K

Kratos Aurion

omg Sarsmi you cease to amaze me it looks excellent!:thumbup1:

Im gonna play around on test with your design too. I like to incorporate rares into the theme of the house so Ill see if i can get it set up just right for decoration. Thanks very much:mf_prop:

M

Melina Havelock

Just when I think I've become a design master in UO, along come MORE great designs! It's hard to pick a favorite one in this thread. I love some of the ideas. :thumbup1:

Painted Elves, A member of the Brightaxe's owns that house on Origin. It's just a sample of what they (Beldin) is capable of. It's worth a recall from the runebook in the Luna house to tour their village. He once bought me completely out of flowers to deco one of his creations and was still needing more! :)

Forgot to mention the village extends a bit below and to the left of the Gates and far beyond if anyone goes to see.

K

Kratos Aurion

thanks for all the help guys!

I took a few ideas and put it in one house Im working on. Now I just need to finish the roof if anyone wants to help with it:)

I wanted to incorporate a waterfall or outdoor area onto the roof where the water bridges by the house. I cant seem to pull off a decent illusion, but I have level 3 and 4 to work with.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks for all the help guys!

I took a few ideas and put it in one house Im working on. Now I just need to finish the roof if anyone wants to help with it:)

I wanted to incorporate a waterfall or outdoor area onto the roof where the water bridges by the house. I cant seem to pull off a decent illusion, but I have level 3 and 4 to work with.

Don't look at me! I don't work well with water tiles. :p

However if I was going to give it a go I would cut the top floor in half and have it be a rectangle on the east side of the plot that stretched from N to S, then on the west side I'd use the top floor to put down water tiles to cover up any 3rd floor walls with and would put down water on the third floor and some of the waterfally wall on the fourth. You'd also want to get the two areas where the water meets the land to make a smooth transition on the house, and it looks like there is a little jarring bit on the front part of the house, tho I'm sure theres a way to work around it.

K

Kratos Aurion

I tried that at first but my architect skills arent that great:coco:

my initial idea was to turn the entire west side of the house into a waterfall flowing toward the east side but I couldn't figure out away to make it fit the shape of my houses design w/o overkilling the overall image.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried that at first but my architect skills arent that great:coco:

my initial idea was to turn the entire west side of the house into a waterfall flowing toward the east side but I couldn't figure out away to make it fit the shape of my houses design w/o overkilling the overall image.
I dunno, I think I feel like unless you have a really spectacular water feature, less is more when it comes to waterfalls and the like. A little pond is cute, a huge pond or row of waterfalls can be bleh.

K

Kratos Aurion

Yeah I was playing with a little pond idea. But the trick of the illusion is hard to pull off when you can see the edges of the house beneath the water so its just finding the right combination to make it right (which appears to be my problem)