• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

***Necromancer FAQ***Update 9/30/03 (Work In Progress, post what I'm missing)

G

With the discovery of Malas, an ancient evil has been revealed, and is spreading across the land like a plague. The study of Necromancy draws people in with the promise of power and riches, while corrupting their souls in the process. Both mages and warriors will be enticed by this wicked school of spellcraft when they discover they can wield powerful weapons without disrupting their evil spells.

The Necromancer can inflict pain, pestilence, cold, and vile curses against their hapless foes, and in the battle's aftermath animate their lifeless corpses into undead horrors that viciously attack any creature, dead or alive. But the Necromancer does not stop at simply animating corpses, for he can transform his very being into some of these forms, gaining both their powers and weaknesses.

A new spellbook becomes available, filled with sorcery so foreboding that it has been secreted away for generations. Necromancers will be able to use any of 16 evil spells, alone or in conjunction with other powerful magic.

In order to call upon the powers of pure evil, one must advance their skill in the art of Necromancy. Similar to the Magery ability, the more proficient you are in the dark arts, the higher the likelihood of successfully imposing the will of Evil. And those who have learned Spirit Speak will find themselves at a distinct advantage when wielding such powers.

Old FAQ can be found here
Corran Horns Original post on whcih FAQ is Based can be found here

Necromancy Spells

Animate Dead
Animates corpses into undead creatures that will wander around and attack any and every creature, except players. These undead have their own AI and cannot be directly controlled.
Use on the corpse of a horse like creature will result in a rideable skeletal steed.
Necromancy Regs Needed: Deamon Blood and Grave Dust
Mana needed: 23
Casting Time: 1.5 Seconds
Minimum Skill Needed: 40

For more information regarding this spell and the list of animated undead, please visit this thread.
Thanks to krrios for this information.

Blood Oath
Links to a single enemy, cousing any damage the target deals to you to be dealth to the target as well. Duration in Seconds = (Caster's Spirit Speak - Target's Resist) ÷ 80 + 8 (skill values are in GM = 1000)
Necromancy Regs Needed: Deamon Blood
Mana needed: 13
Minimum Skill Needed: 20

Corpse Skin
Inflicts necrosis upon the skin of the Necromancer or another target, Cousing - 15% to fire and poison resist and + 10% to physical and cold. Duration in Seconds = (Caster's Spirit Speak - Target's Resist) ÷ 25 + 40 (skill values are in GM = 1000)
Necromancy Regs Needed: Bat Wing and Grave Dust
Mana needed: 11
Casting Time: 2 Seconds

Curse Weapon
Briefly enchant your weapon to gain the power of life drain. While enchanted, the weapon will heal its wielder with 50% of the damage it deals out. Duration formula unknown, but said to be 30 seconds at GM spiritspeak
Necromancy Regs Needed: Pig Iron
Mana needed: 7
Casting Time: 1 Second
Minimum Skill Needed: 0

Evil Omen
Be it a strike from a sword or the sting of a spell, the next bad thing that happens to the receiver of this curse will be worse. The player affected by this spell:
[*]will receive a +25% increase from the next source of damage.
[*]will receive a +1 boost to the level of poison the next time they are poisoned
[*]will only have 50% of their Resist Spells skill the next time they try to resist a spell.
If the target does not recieve a negative act that triggers evil omen the spell times out after 25 seconds.
Necromancy Regs Needed: Bat Wing and Nox Crystal

Horrific Beast
Allows you to transform into a terrifying form that grants great physical strength, at the cost of your mind. No duration. Casting this spell again or casting another transformation spell dispels it. While under the effect of this spell, the caster receives:
[*]+2 hp/sec
[*]+25% melee damage increase
[*]increased base hand damage
[*]cannot cast any spells except for necromancy transformation spells
Necromancy Regs Needed: Bat Wing and Deamon Blood
Casting Time: 4 Seconds
Minimum Skill Needed: 40

Lich Form
Transforms the Necromancer into the form of a lich, the master of magic. No duration. Casting this spell again or casting another transformation spell dispels it. While under the influence of this spell, the caster receives:
[*]+25% damage from undead slayer weapons
[*]-10% fire resist
[*]+10% poison resist
[*]+10% cold resist
[*]+13 mana every 10 seconds
[*]-5 Hitpoints every 10 seconds
[*]Immunity to the bleed attack special move
Necromancy Regs Needed: Nox Crystal, Deamon Blood, and Grave Dust
Minimum Skill Needed: 70

Mind Rot
The receiver of this curse has difficulty thinking, making all abilities that require Mana more expensive. Exact effect under research.
Duration in Seconds = (Caster's Spirit Speak - Target's Resist) ÷ 50 + 20 (skill values are in GM = 1000)
Necromancy Regs Needed: Bat Wing, Deamon Blood, and Pig Iron
Mana needed: 17
Minimum Skill Needed: 30

Pain Spike
Brings a jolt of temporary pain down upon your enemy. Damage = ( Caster's Spirit Speak - Target's Resist ) ÷ 100 + 18. Damage is temporary and will wear off after 10 seconds. Damage is dealth in stamine the same amound as in HP. Recasting the spell on the same target before the 10 second timer passes has only very minor effect.
Necromancy Regs Needed: Grave Dust and Pig Iron
Mana needed: 5

Poison Strike
Summons a cloud of poison to strike down your enemy. Also, affects a radius of 2 tiles around the target. Those within that radius will receive "splash" damage. Splash Damage = Unmodified Target Damage ÷ (Distance_In_Tiles + 1)
Damage based on spiritspeak skill.
Necromancy Regs Needed: Nox Crystal
Casting Time: 2 Seconds
Minimum Skill Needed: 50

Strangle
Chokes an enemy with poison, doing more damage as their Stamina drops. The power of the effect is equal to the Caster's Spirit Speak skill divided by 10. The minimum power is 4. The power number determines the duration and base damage of the Strangle effect.
Each point of power causes the Strangle effect to damage the target one time. The first round of damage is done after five seconds. Four seconds later, the second round hits. Each round after that comes one second more quickly than the last, until there is only 1 second between hits.
Damage is calculated as follows: The range of damage is between power - 2 and power + 1. Then the damage is multiplied based on the victim's current and maximum Stamina values. The more the victim is fatigued, the more damage this spell deals. The damage is multiplied by the result of this formula: 3 - (Cur Stamina ÷ Max Stamina x 2. For example, suppose the base damage for a Strangle hit is 5. The target currently has 40 out of a maximum of 80 stamina. Final damage for that hit is: 5 x (3 - (40 ÷ 80 x 2) = 10.
Necromancy Regs Needed: Nox Crystal and Deamon Blood
Mana needed: 29
Casting Time: 2.5 Seconds
Minimum Skill Needed: 65

Summon Familiar
Summons a spirit wisp, dark wolf, death adder, vampire bat, or horde minion to your side, each with their own unique abilities and a special power granted to the caster.
Familiars hide with their summoners anf follow trough gates and teleporters, but don't recall with you.
After casting the spell to summon the familiar the menu to choose one pops up, and will stay active for 60 seconds. You can do anything else in this time, keeping it precast for another combo or regenerating your mana.

Necromancy Regs Needed: Bat Wing, Deamon Blood, and Grave Dust
Minimum Skill Needed: 30

List of Familiars:
[*]Horde Minion requires 30 Necromancy and 30 Spirit Speak. Abilities: Pack animal, picks up stuff, decent combat assistant.
[*]Shadow Wisp requires 50 Necromancy and 50 Spirit Speak. Abilities: negative energy flare; periodically heals the mana of those friendly to the caster (and the caster) IF they have negative karma. the more negative the karma, the more mana you get back.
[*]Dark Wolf requires 60 Necro and 60 Spirit Speak. Abilities: +1 stamina every 2 seconds. Wolf mastery; allows you to tame any wolf as if it were a 0 difficulty tameable.
[*]Death Adder requires 80 Necro and 80 Spirit Speak. Abilities: The Death Adder attacks with Deadly Poison. Also Snake charming; you can command any snake to attack a target to which you can do negative acts. You don't get credit for the kill, however.
[*]Vampire Bat requires 100 Necro and 100 Sprit Speak. Abilities: all melee damage it does will heal it's master (You!) for an equal amount.

Familiars can't be commanded like pets. They do join in the fight automatically when you deal melee damage to a target.
Information Provided by evilmoocowgod

Vampiric Embrace
A powerful form that grants many strengths, but prevents the Necromancer from using garlic-based spells and potions. No duration. Casting this spell again or casting another transformation spell dispels it. While under the influence of this spell, the caster receives:
[*]20% life drain on every hit
[*]-25% fire resist
[*]damage from garlic (17-23 points of damage is dealt when Vampires cast spells that consume the garlic reagent.)(use of lower reagent cost items will prevent this damage)
[*]Immunity to Poison levels 1 to 4
Necromancy Regs Needed: Bat Wing, Nox Crystal, and Pig Iron
Minimum Skill Needed: 99

Vengeful Spirit
Summons a powerful revenant to slay a chosen foe. Revenants are incredibly persistent and can track their quarry, even when hidden. A revenant requires 3 control slots. Duration in Seconds = (Caster's Spirit Speak x 80) ÷ 1200 + 10
Necromancy Regs Needed: Grave Dust, Bat Wing, and Pig Iron
Mana needed: 41
Casting Time: 8 Seconds
Minimum Skill Needed: 80

Wither
Summons an evil, withering frost, damaging all nearby enemies — especially those who are good. Affects a radius of 5 tiles around the caster.
Necromancy Regs Needed: Grave Dust, Nox Crystal, and Pig Iron
Minimum Skill Needed: 60

Wraith Form
Transforms the Necromancer into the form of a wraith, well-suited for resisting physical damage, but weak against magic. No duration. Casting this spell again or casting another transformation spell dispels it. While under the influence of the this spell, the caster receives:
[*]+15% physical resist
[*]-5% fire resist
[*]-5% energy resist
[*]the ability to leech mana
[*]the ability to walk through people (non-blockable)
[*]the abilety to cast recall with 100% success chance
[*]immunity to the bleed attack special move
Necromancy Regs Needed: Nox Crystal and Pig Iron

How To GM Necromancy
Necromancy can be GM'ed by the 8x8 Method

Method 1
0-30ish Buy in Umbra
30-55 Pain spike (target self, good focus gains never die)
55-75 Horrific Beast
75-90 Wither
90-100 Lich Form
100-105 cast lich form
105-120 cast Vampiric Embrace

Information was provided by LordZahn, edited with pub 18 bug

Which NPC Teaches me Necromancy
The Necromancer which is at the mage shop in Umbra

Spirit Speak
The Spirit Speak skill is now used to heal players by channeling spiritual energy. Spiritual energy can be channeled from either a corpse or the player using the skill. If a corpse is not available, then the player will channel his or her own energy. Spiritspeak is not affected by FC or FCR.

Channeling through Corpses
The corpse must be within 3 tiles to be used, otherwise, the player will channel his own energy. The amount healed is a random number between the minimum and maximum values listed in the table below. Should the minimum value be greater than the maximum value, then the healing is equal to the maximum value.

Min -- Fame/500 + 1
Max -- Spirit Speak/20 (skill values are GM = 1000)

Channeling your own Energy
If there are no corpses nearby, you can channel your own spiritual energy into healing. However, this method will yield a lesser amount of healing than if you were to channel through a corpse. The amount healed is a random value between the minimum and maximum values below:

Min -- Max/2 + 1
Max -- Spirit Speak * 0. 40 + 4 (skill values are GM = 100) (rough guesswork here but better than old formula)

You will need at least 10 points of Mana in order to channel your own energy.

If you have 100 or more skill points in Spirit Speak, you can automatically hear anything that ghosts say. Also, if you're a ghost, you can clearly be heard by anyone else.

NOTE: This could be wrong on how much you get healed from with the Equations.
On average at 100 Spirit Speak you get 20-24 back and at 120 Spirit Speak you get 24-28 back.

How to GM Spirit Speak
By using the 8x8 Method while directly using the skill.

Which Monsters give you Necromancy Scrolls?
(note: need to update)
Poison Strike: MIB, Deamons, Liches, Rat Mages, Imps, Air Elementals
Wither: MIB, Meer Mages, Deamons, Liches; Imps
Pain Spike: Rat Mages, Gargoyle, Imps, Ophidian Apprentice Mage, Air Elementals
Curse Weapon: Rat Mages, Evil Mages, Imps
Blood Oath: Evil Mages, Rat Mages, Imps, Nightmares
Evil Omen: Rat Mages, Imps
Mind Rot: Rat Mages, Imps
Strangle: MIB, Meer Mages, Deamons, Liches, Evil Mages, Liches, Imps, Nightmares, Air Elementals
Corpse Skin: Deamons, Unicorns, Rat Mages, Imps, Orc Mage
Wraith Form: Rat Mages, Imps
Lich Form: MIB, L3-TMap, Evil Mage Lords, Deamons, Liches, Imps
Vampiric Embrace: Meer Eternals, Harrower Tentacles, Dark Father, The True Harrower
Horrific Beast: Rat Mages, Imps, Nightmares
Summon Familiar: Imps
Animate Dead: Rat Mages
Vengeful Spirit: MIB, Liches, Daemons, Air Elementals, Nightmares
[Information was provided by Caretaker and Stratics Posters]

How do I get Necromancy Reagents?
Necromancy reagents can be bought at mage or necromancer NPCs or found as loot on certain monsters.

Necromancy and faster casting/ faster cast recovery
Currently only FCR affects necromany. FC has no effect on the speed of necromantic spells, be it possitive or negative FC

8x8 Explained!
1. Start your boat pointed north (to those who don't know, North faces the upper right side of the screen)

2. Stand directly behind the mast, facing east (bottom right of the screen)

3. Say "slow forward" (note: on Europe, Drachenfells and Lake Austin this should be 'slow back')

4. cast the current necro spell you need to get a gain.

5. Keep on casting till you get a gain.

6. STOP!!! You just found the beginning of your gain "run". Your next gain will 98% of the time be exactly 8 tiles (steps) from that original gain spot, either north or south. If you were quick on you "stop" command then you should be exactly 8 tiles to the north already, and cast the spell again. You should receive a gain. If you don't, then that means the "run" runs south. Go back to where you got your first gain (8 tiles south) Now you are on the original spot. So go 8 more tiles south. Cast the spell again. You WILL gain in one of those two spots if you did it right.

7. Great!! Now we found which way the "run" is running. Now all we do is follow it. Go eight more tiles in the direction that you went from the original gain. (north or south)

8. Cast. Holy bejesus!! that's 0.3 already!

9. Go 8 more tiles in the same direction.

10. Cast. WHOOHOO 0.4!!!!

11. Continue till you do not gain anymore (runs typically go from 3 gains in a row up to 15, The largest I ever got was 45. Thats 4.5 skill, and I was at 87!)

12. When you are sure that the run has ended, return to step 1

Thanks to Corran, LordZhan. evilmoocowgod and krrios for information used here. *just editing to prevent the edit timer from running out*

R

rofler

Scrolls-
Animate Dead can also be found on nightmares and Imps
Evil Omen can also be found on nightmares

G

Yeah, if you can find one 'low level' scroll on a monster you can find them all, same for high level (except for VE)
What need to know is mainly the border between high and low level, and what monsters drop either/both

G

You dont calculate how ss affects spell damage

I would like to see a spell damage calculation

A

Azgorath

FAQ Skill Gain Amendment

30-55 Wraith Form is far too slow, especially for necro warriors.

Pain spike is a much simpler and faster solution at 1/3rd the mana and a faster casting time.

It has taken my necro/mage to 57 with ease and I've only used it sparingly.

G

Geuel

There should be Template Suggestions. You know...Necromage, Necrofencer, Necrobeggar, you know the big ones at least.

G

casting time doesn't really matter for 8*8 since you need to move between gains, but mana cost is a good point. I'll add that.

Template FAQ will be next project when I have some spare time. Necrobeggars are ineffective becouse people don't trust you ><

G

HUGE NEWS! Female Wraith form now lost the blocking! So females and males are equal!
This was not on any publish list but my female necro stealther can now "pass" through people!

G

great!

One question, if you stealth trough someone in wraith form, do you still get revealed? I take from your post you don't but I remember testing it a while back and still showing...

G

It is, I finaly got to play some on my assassin. People also don't get any message when they walk trough you, but you have to be carefull to depend on it becouse it seems to time out ocasionally. Ill add this to the FAQ once I got some sleep...

G

Yea, about that timing out thing; I believe it's something to do with subservers, in so much that if you cast Wraith Form on one subserver, people will be able to walk over you fine, etc, but then if you change they'll get the message when they walk over...though...I could be wrong ^^ I'd ask someone but they usually want to kill me, or me them, when I'm around people in wraith form :\

G

Hi:

You should update the faq since it's now possible to cast Vampiric Embrace all the way to 120. It's sort of demoralizing for people to think they can't get to 120.

S

Southern

Note: Be careful with casting Pain Spike on yourself.. It destroys armor. So if you use an LRC suit to gain Necro, check it for wear from time to time and repair as necessary. I imagine there's more spells than just pain spike that will do that.. I would up using Corpse Skin vs. Pain Spike to avoid wear and tear on my armor.. (higher mana cost, but that's ok.. I'd rather it take a bit more mana than destroy a LRC suit. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif)

G

Yea, anything that does damage to you can damage your armour...(cast on tiller man ^^)

S

Southern

I tried that, he was an invalid target for pain spike. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif (And most other spells, like Blood Oath, Corpse Skin, Evil Omen, Mind Rot, Poison Strike & Strangle). /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

O

Orlandu

Just throwing something up as I was asked.

Lord Razor will no longer be around Stratics for questions and reports, etc. due to some sort of management issue. If you have any problems, issues, suggestions, or anything else, please contact Crazy Joe.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

If anyone has any questions, I can be reached at 238175516.

O

Orlandu

I honestly don't know.

I left Cosmic Monkey when I left AB and moved to Siege.

I see him on other means of communication all the time. I'll ask him, or maybe even check C-M for old times sake when I get around to it.

M

MSGuildmaster

When you 8x8 Necro, you should use nothing but transformations spells. Wraith Form, then Horrific beast, then Liche Form, then Vampiric Embrace.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Necromancy can be GM'ed by the 8x8 Method

Method 1
0-30ish Buy in Umbra
30-55 Pain spike (target self, good focus gains never die)
55-75 Horrific Beast
75-90 Wither
90-100 Lich Form
100-105 cast lich form
105-116 cast Vampiric Embrace
116-119.9 cast Vengefull spirit
119.9-120 impossible

<hr></blockquote>

Why do you claim 8x8 gain from 119.9 to 120 is impossible? I went from 119.8 to 119.9 last night working dragons in Ilsh then went back to the boat, casting Vampiric Embrace. Took me about 3 minutes to get that last .1.

G

It used to be impossible and got 'fixed' as a side effect to a new feature. I guess the moderator isn't completely up to date yet, so I'll take the liberty of changing it now =)

R

ralphEUR

minimum skill level for 100% sucess would be useful (uless its already here and I'm going blind /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif )

G

That one still hasn't been verified yet, but I think it's safe to say it's 40/39.9 now...

I

imported_American

<blockquote><hr>

Spirit Speak
The Spirit Speak skill is now used to heal players by channeling spiritual energy. Spiritual energy can be channeled from either a corpse or the player using the skill. If a corpse is not available, then the player will channel his or her own energy. Spiritspeak is not affected by FC or FCR.

Channeling through Corpses
The corpse must be within 3 tiles to be used, otherwise, the player will channel his own energy. The amount healed is a random number between the minimum and maximum values listed in the table below. Should the minimum value be greater than the maximum value, then the healing is equal to the maximum value.

Min -- Fame/500 + 1
Max -- Spirit Speak/20 (skill values are GM = 1000)

Channeling your own Energy
If there are no corpses nearby, you can channel your own spiritual energy into healing. However, this method will yield a lesser amount of healing than if you were to channel through a corpse. The amount healed is a random value between the minimum and maximum values below:

Min -- Max/2 + 1
Max -- Spirit Speak * 0. 40 + 4 (skill values are GM = 100) (rough guesswork here but better than old formula)

You will need at least 10 points of Mana in order to channel your own energy.

If you have 100 or more skill points in Spirit Speak, you can automatically hear anything that ghosts say. Also, if you're a ghost, you can clearly be heard by anyone else.

<hr></blockquote>

So Spirit Speak does not help in spell damage?
Awesome, with the FAQ off this thread I will put inscription on my necro mage and drop Spirit Speak.
Thanks.

R

Raza

No, that page only explains the individual mechanism of healing trough the spiritspeak skill. Spiritspeak is still the main factor to determine the damage of poisonstrike, wither, strangle, pain spike, and a the amound of time curses last, what animate you'll get from a corpse, etc.

C

Chandalir

New FAQ up and running - now, with editing powers! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif