• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Necromancer and Karma

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi

I have a question regarding Necromancy and Karma.
I know that casting necromancer spells lowers your Karma, but does this mean that you need a negative Karma to have efficient spells?

I know that for paladins, the higher the Karma the best.

Is it the same with opposite karma level for Necromancers or can i have an efficient Necromancer with a high positive Karma ?

Thanks for your help :)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The lower your karma, the more mana your shadow wisp familiar will restore. I'm not sure how lower karma affects other necro spells.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK thanks !

so that means that for a PvM char i could play a necro with positive Karma ?
I never played a necro before so i don't know if the wisp familiar is very useful or not. could i do without ?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You technically could, but keep in mind that you won't be able to fully take advantage of your necromancy spells, as using them causes karma loss. Wither, for example, is one of the most useful PvM necro spells, but using it for an hour or two will easily bring you from Glorious Lord to Dread Lord.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh ok, well i don't mind loosing karma actually, i just wanted to know if i had to on purpose.
Meaning locking my karma and specifically trying to lower it.

If i don't, i could for instance raise it with easy mob that i can kill just with magery when i need to access places full of pixies or such :)
When it's done and i use my necro spells again it wont be a problem to have a high karma. :)

That's good to know !

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
As there is no benefit for a necro-mage to have positive karma, and there is a benefit from the dark wisp with negative mana, go dread. The wisp gives you mana in bursts. It is about +10 mana when it kicks in. I don't know how often it gives you mana (maybe once every 20-30 second) but every little bit helps. I used to let my karma on my necro-mage go up and down until I realized I was neutering the benefit of my wisp. Then I locked my karma and don't see any reason to go back.

-OBSIDIAN-

S

Stupid Miner

OK thanks !

so that means that for a PvM char i could play a necro with positive Karma ?
I never played a necro before so i don't know if the wisp familiar is very useful or not. could i do without ?
Yep, I dont find wisp too useful anyway, he dies a lot. But then again I'm a hybrid fighter/necro. If you keep your distance it'll have a much better survival rate.

I

imperterritus

Just to provide a complete answer to the OP's question -- you are right, positive karma is good for paladins. The equivalent boost for necros is spirit speak. The stronger your SS, the stronger are many of the necro spells.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As there is no benefit for a necro-mage to have positive karma, and there is a benefit from the dark wisp with negative mana, go dread. The wisp gives you mana in bursts. It is about +10 mana when it kicks in. I don't know how often it gives you mana (maybe once every 20-30 second) but every little bit helps. I used to let my karma on my necro-mage go up and down until I realized I was neutering the benefit of my wisp. Then I locked my karma and don't see any reason to go back.

-OBSIDIAN-
Thanks , very useful information. That question really took my curiosity without any answers for a year or two. Finally.. At last. :thumbup:

S

Sir Kenga

Actually THERE IS benefit for a necro-mage to have positive karma. That's Tweasted Weald and Oak's Champ Spawn. I always raise karma on my necromage before going to those ;-)