• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Necro/Mage Template Help

Dr.Bloom

Visitor
Hi, I'm coming back after a long absence. I saw a template I thought would be fun but it was full of 120 skills and don't think I will be achieving that anytime soon. I was hoping you guys could help me fill out my template and tell me which skill should be 120 assuming I could get my hands on the power scroll.

I'm building towards:
100 Magery
100 Eval Int
100 Necro
100 Spirit Speak
100 Meditation
100 Poison
100 Parry

I have a 720 skill cap and was wondering which would be the most important skill for a necro mage to have at 120. Parry is a placeholder until I can get more scrolls. I'm not sure if parry is even the right placeholder but it was easy to level. It's for a PVM build. I really like the idea of poison for fun. Thanks for any feedback.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Parry's not a bad choice for a placeholder, but if your primary weapon is necro and mage, then mana is your friend. Focus is even easier to raise and increases your mana regeneration. (and when you drop it later, you don't care since you passively gained to GM in a day and can retrain it in a heartbeat)

Hard-pressed to pick just one. I'd probably pick magery to 120 since you can equip mage weapons for defense and still cast spells reliably.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At 110 Magery you have 100% chance to cast level 6 spells and a good chance of casting level 7. I find it's more than enough for any PVM builds. Eval Int and Spirit Speak you'll want as high as possible, as these are your damage modifier skills. Poison doesn't have much use in PVM besides allowing you some chance to resist poison but it's much easier just to cure yourself with spells. Maybe substitute it for Resist? I'd change out Parry for Spellweaving as well, it gives some nice options for both defense and offense. You can use a Mage Weapon for defense, there are artifacts available with -0 Mage Weapon so you won't need any skill increase. 100 Necro is fine for PVM, if you're using Wither I'd keep it at GM otherwise you can drop it to 60 or so and still be able to cast debuffs.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Hi, I'm coming back after a long absence. I saw a template I thought would be fun but it was full of 120 skills and don't think I will be achieving that anytime soon. I was hoping you guys could help me fill out my template and tell me which skill should be 120 assuming I could get my hands on the power scroll.

I'm building towards:
100 Magery
100 Eval Int
100 Necro
100 Spirit Speak
100 Meditation
100 Poison
100 Parry

I have a 720 skill cap and was wondering which would be the most important skill for a necro mage to have at 120. Parry is a placeholder until I can get more scrolls. I'm not sure if parry is even the right placeholder but it was easy to level. It's for a PVM build. I really like the idea of poison for fun. Thanks for any feedback.
Take Magery to 120 first and foremost, and use it with a Mage Weapon for melee defense, you will also have 100% success at all circles and heal for more.

If you're keeping Poisoning you only need a total of 200 points between that and Magery so you could raise it only to 80. You will be able to cast Deadly Poison Fields. It will also frequently auto-cure you on Poison tick damage which is extremely useful on a caster. I have a character using 65 just from spare points and it can occasionally even auto-cure Deadly Poison.

Necro doesn't need to be higher than 100 in PvM unless you are planning on using Revenants or the Necromancy Masteries (which are very good and the best option on this template) The main skill (Mage or Necro) is mainly the success chance for certain spells, and a factor in the Mastery abilities. 100 Necro will give you 100% success at Wither, 105 Necro will give you 100% success at Poison Strike, Poison Strike success can matter when combining it with the Conduit Mastery. Command Undead Mastery is also more powerful with higher Necro.

Eval/SS are modifiers to the Mage/Necro spells. If you are trying to do maximum damage with your spells then increasing these is a good idea. You can also use 120 Eval+100 Anatomy to have 120 Defensive Wrestle, this would be instead of using Mage Weapons and would give you full defense while holding spellbooks (which in PvM you quite often will be for using slayer books). You can also switch between books/Mage Weapon with an EquipLastWeapon macro, but the Anatomy options is if you are not going to use a Mage Weapon at all, and plan on always holding a book with mods.

Med is probably the last consideration on a Necro/Mage, as you will very often be leeching mana from monsters by being in Wraith Form, you have Lich Form (13 MR) available to you, and Shadow Wisps that also restore mana. Having low Karma affects the mana restored from Shadow Wisps so if you are staying Necro/Mage long term on your character lock your Karma and it will drop as you use Necro.

I would use Focus, Resist or Anatomy as a placeholder.

Dr.Bloom

Visitor
Thanks to everyone that replied. I was leaning towards Magery and now I'm certain it should be the one to go to 120 first.

Take Magery to 120 first and foremost, and use it with a Mage Weapon for melee defense, you will also have 100% success at all circles and heal for more.

If you're keeping Poisoning you only need a total of 200 points between that and Magery so you could raise it only to 80. You will be able to cast Deadly Poison Fields. It will also frequently auto-cure you on Poison tick damage which is extremely useful on a caster. I have a character using 65 just from spare points and it can occasionally even auto-cure Deadly Poison.

Necro doesn't need to be higher than 100 in PvM unless you are planning on using Revenants or the Necromancy Masteries (which are very good and the best option on this template) The main skill (Mage or Necro) is mainly the success chance for certain spells, and a factor in the Mastery abilities.
So having poison as high as it can go to make Magery and Poison add up to 200 will auto cure me if I get poisoned? I don't know what Necromancy Masteries are as of typing this but I will google it. If I went down the road of using Necro Masteries, would 105 Necromancy be where you suggest to stop?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Thanks to everyone that replied. I was leaning towards Magery and now I'm certain it should be the one to go to 120 first.

So having poison as high as it can go to make Magery and Poison add up to 200 will auto cure me if I get poisoned? I don't know what Necromancy Masteries are as of typing this but I will google it. If I went down the road of using Necro Masteries, would 105 Necromancy be where you suggest to stop?
Yes, if you go 120 Magery you will only need 80 Poisoning. I wouldn't get 100 Poisoning just for a defensive aspect when you can cast cure the rest of the time anyway. But having combined 200 will let you cast Deadly Poison Fields which I would consider worth doing. There was some talk (in a pet thread) about Poisoning doing something for Poison Strike but I haven't ever seen anything concrete about that and used to have a Nox/Necro/Mage for quite some time.

There's no other Mastery worth using on that template besides Necro, so if you've got the points spare I'd take it to 120, same with SS. With skill items you should be able to have several skills at 120.