• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Natures apathy and Halloween

F

feath

with 2 days left for getting entries in for the Halloween deco contest, and a grand total of 9 entries (including my own!), even my boundless optimism has taken a nose dive.

I've been plugging the competition to the point were I feel like I'm spamming.

I come with bended knee to the H&C community - HELP!

Send in an entry! Stop scaring me! lol
Try and keep the thread alive on uhall. It looks ugly with only me posting in it.
Let your friends know!
It doesn't have to be a full house make over! It can be a little thing, that takes like 30 minutes to make.

Don't make me say Halloween is Canceled!

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry to hear not many people have entered. Let me tell you why I did not enter-
create NEW deco idea's
I usually decorate my houses in a Halloween theme, but not with complicated creative ideas. I simply did not think of anything new. This may have scared away other people as well. Also, the deadline is early. I am still thinking about the start of school- not Halloween. Just a few thoughts, I am not meaning to slam you or anything.

I am excited to see the entries you have so far!!

sligachan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Feath, congrats on your recent purchase!

Many people I know are currently putting time into collecting for the turn-in and this is taking most of their time at present.

Still, I take my hat off to you for organising this and I'm sure that the entries will give people some ideas and the urge to go decorate their homes for Halloween.

I will go bump up the thread in uhall right now :D

P.s will you be posting the voting thread on uhall? I think this would give a larger vote hopefully.

F

feath

yeah, i know the 'new' business would throw some people off - which is why i said in completing the sentence 'unless presented in a fresh way' - you can still do bats! just not two hats with a ball of yarn lol! I've even been putting in little idea triggers in my posts. oi oi.

it doesn't have to be full house deco - it can be a new little grimlin, any tiny thing.

as for timing, i wanted it to have enough time to get all the voting done, to have the rewards 2 weeks before halloween. it's a scheduling thing. if i'd tried to start it at the end of september, there would have been no time at all.

oh well.

*throws up hands*

at least i get a deco site out of it :D

(as for turn ins, yikes, i've been done with that for weeks. how can anyone have anything left by now? lol :) you're all horders, you are! lol)

N

Ni-

My whole house is kinda like a halloween haunted/illusion house. There are no major halloween themes. It's more like what you'd find out in the country, a place that is modified to seem authentic and scary. That and the contest is one pic, I couldn't pick just one pic to send in. Well, I could but it really wouldn't be very creative.

L

Lord Drakelord

:sad4: nothing in the brain for halloween :sad4: Besides I copy stuff, could not come up with a new thing even if my life depended on it.

F

feath

ideas;

dressmaker forms with halloween costumes
new pumpkin
headless horseman - horse with dressmaker form illusion
swamp creature
custom house shaped like pumpkin - bat - wolf - monster -
the devil handing out candy to trick or treaters
roof art! draw a picture with tiles
back pack art! you can REALLY get creative with backpack art

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the deadline were October 1st, I think you would get a lot more entries. That would still allow plenty of time for judging before Halloween.

-Skylark

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somebody's already built a gigantor pumpkin, although I forgot who..

Honestly, I feel it's not the decoration that needs to be new or old, it's how it comes together and completes your design. I decorated for Halloween last year and came up with a few fresh ideas, but since they've been seen they aren't "new". I didn't like the "no bats" and "no witches" rule, although I do see where you are going with it. I still haven't decided whether or not to enter or withold.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somebody's already built a gigantor pumpkin, although I forgot who..

Honestly, I feel it's not the decoration that needs to be new or old, it's how it comes together and completes your design. I decorated for Halloween last year and came up with a few fresh ideas, but since they've been seen they aren't "new". I didn't like the "no bats" and "no witches" rule, although I do see where you are going with it. I still haven't decided whether or not to enter or withold.
Sarsmi did a monster goza pumpkin in one of her houses a couple of years ago. It looked great...but we have "seen" it so it isn't original anymore.

I also think that how existing deco elements are combined is a form of originality as well, but I also understand wanting to have a contest for "new" things only.

-Skylark

F

feath

ok... seems my idea wasn't presented clearly enough. so i'm lifting the bat/witch thing.

BATS AND WITCHES ARE ALOUD.

I'd never meant bats and witches couldn't be done. I just didn't want to see any hat/wool ball bats. thats it. thats the only thing! lol

look at the ideas i posted - they include bats and witches!

and if you take someones previous idea - and change just a bit of it, to reflect YOUR personality - it is BRAND NEW, cause no one but you made that exact thing.

I'll think on extending the deadline.

F

Flora Green

I also think October 1st is more reasonable. With college and school back in session and Labor Day, people may not have the time to bother with new ideas yet. Plus, it's not even fall yet so a lot may not be thinking of Halloween ideas. I'm not really. I do have one thing I kinda want to do, but I can't figure out how to make it work and I'm just not in the mood to deco for ghosts and goblins when it's 90 degrees still. Maybe you need to keep bumping the U.Hall thread and consider extending the deadline?

Good going with the deco site, btw.

E

envinyatar

I have to agree, the deadline is way too early for me. I don't deco for Halloween until October. I've got another house that I am working on in the meantime and its taking all my energy to come up with a design for it. Maybe consider extending the deadline until October and allow a week for voting.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With college and school back in session and Labor Day, people may not have the time to bother with new ideas yet.
Cause of school and work, I just got my first chance to work on an entry last night...

Please, please, pleeeeease extend the deadline? :please:

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will probably submit another entry if the deadline is extended, right now I'm having a big ol mental block, a couple of ideas but nothing I really feel like I can put into motion. :eek:

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, extend the deadline to october 1st please! my large box o' halloween decos was stolen when my account was hacked in july *grumble* but i've been slowly accumulating a new collection... just not done enough yet to put something together but i'd love to submit an entry! just won't be able to get done till at least another week or two... thanks for organizing this Feath!!! you're awesome :) *already working on some ideas...*

F

feath

ok, ok, i can take a hint!
*ducks the next swung 2x4*

I'll extend the deadline for submittal until october 4th.
one death round of voting for 10 days. ends 14th.
top 5 winners announced oct 15th.

hope this takes care of all problems!

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yay! You're awesome feath! :D

You can expect an entry from me as soon as I can find the one thing I need to finish it...

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:cheerleader:

I'll try to think of something for a corner of my castle. I'm just not good at "thinking outside the box" when it comes to deco!

E

Evilminion

Yay! The extended deadline means I'll have time to mess around with a few ideas as well.

I'm not exactly the fastest deco-er around, sadly. *embarrassed grin*

Thanks, Feath!

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yay! thanks Feath! i plan to devote a large chunk of this coming weekend to creating some evil designs for the contest ~ yay!!! :stir:

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think with the new deadline you will be receiving a lot more entries. :)

-Skylark

F

feath

i did get a smattering of new entries, but with almost a full month more time, i sure HOPE i get more lmao!

this will cut voting time down greatly, but on reflection, thats just as well.

overall, i believe you guys are right. it needed more time.

and you're very welcome. :D

F

Flora Green

Question. As long as the creation is original does it matter if it's based on something else? A movie scene or image? A RL or fictional character? *has haunting ideas floating around in her head*

F

feath

Question. As long as the creation is original does it matter if it's based on something else? A movie scene or image? A RL or fictional character? *has haunting ideas floating around in her head*
nope, doesn't matter.

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was planning on entering, but as of last week, my credit card payment was declined and I can't afford to play any more. So unless someone drops a $12/hr job in my lap next week, don't expect any entries from me. :(

F

feath

I was planning on entering, but as of last week, my credit card payment was declined and I can't afford to play any more. So unless someone drops a $12/hr job in my lap next week, don't expect any entries from me. :(
aww, sorry to hear about you cc. :( hope to see you back soon! Good luck!