• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Narrowing Down Crashing/Memory Leak

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I been wanting to post this for a while now.

Simple and to the point, this not a thread to help you trouble shoot, it is intended as a short and to the point thread to help narrow down and give an overview of what might cause these crashes some players experience.

It might be beyond what we can solve, and thus the devs need to fix with the game, but in that case it will help the devs track down the cause of it if its out of our hands.

Please fill in the below form and fill it in your reply, as specificly as posible.

Problem State
Is Crashing a Problem?: (Yes/No/Somewhat)
If yes, How often do you crash?: (In game hours/minutes)
-----, When/Where does crashing most frequently occur?:

System Information
CPU: (In example P4, I7, Core 2 Duo, Etc)
Operating System: (Winxp, Vista, Win7 - 32/64 bit)
Video Card/Chip:
Video Dedicated Memory Amount (If any):
Video Designated Total Memory?:

If Vista/Win7:
Did you install Directx9.0c?:
Is your windows Acc Admin on the PC?:

Game Settings:
Cache Size: (mb)
Cartographer Enabled/Running?:

Other Relevant Information:
Feel free to add any information you might find relevant.
(Such as resolution, detail level, target fps and similar)

I hope we can spot some sort of trend based on this.

Greetings
Gilmour

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Problem State
Is Crashing a Problem?: No
If yes, How often do you crash?: Rarely if ever

System Information
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 810 2.6GHz
Operating System: Win7 - 64 bit
Video Card/Chip: GeForce GTX 275 (Hooked to the monitor that runs UO), GeForce GT 240 (Hooked to secondary and tertiary monitors)
Video Dedicated Memory Amount (If any):4095MB
Video Designated Total Memory?: 1792MB GDDR3

If Vista/Win7:
Did you install Directx9.0c?: Yes
Is your windows Acc Admin on the PC?: Yes

Game Settings:
Cache Size: 257MB
Caching houses?:Unknown
Cartographer Enabled/Running?: No

Running in Windowed mode on 1920x1080 resolution 60HZ refresh with the window frame removed.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem State
Is Crashing a Problem?: Yes
On average maybe every 2-3 hours
When/Where does crashing most frequently occur?: No real regularities but mostly when monsters are around and I"m moving a lot. Mostly during Champs Spawns or PvP (best time for a crash...)

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 810 3.2GHz
Operating System: Win7 - 32 bit
Video Card/Chip: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Vapor-X
Video Dedicated Memory Amount (If any): 1024MB
Video Designated Total Memory?: 1024MB GDDR5

If Vista/Win7:

Game Settings:
Cache Size: Have to check when back home
Caching houses? Have to check when back home

Running in Windowed mode on 1920x1080 resolution 60HZ refresh
Idle Animation and shadows turned off, everything else at max details.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem State
Is Crashing a Problem?: Yes.
If yes, How often do you crash?: with 1-60 minutes played almost guarenteed within an hour. I have resorted to completely closing my client every time i get close to 600k mem. Which means im restarting uo literally every 7-20 mins.
When/Where does crashing most frequently occur?: It happens literaly everywhere and randomly. Ive never noticed crashing while standing still except when recalling.

System Information
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Processor, 1 Terabyte hard drive, 9GB DDR3 system memory.
Operating System: Win7 - 64 bit
Video Card/Chip: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260
Video Dedicated Memory Amount (If any): 1.8GB dedicated graphics memory
Video Designated Total Memory?: 4067 MB

If Vista/Win7:
Did you install Directx9.0c?: I have tried but it tells me i am currently up to date. I have not removed 11 to see if 9 works better.
Is your windows Acc Admin on the PC?:

Game Settings:
Cache Size: (mb) zero MB
Cartographer Enabled/Running?: Yes, although i have spent 4 hours without any skins and cart turned off and still got reliable crashes.

Other Relevant Information: I think the problem is beyond the user fixing. Even if it is not the ammount of effort we have put into should have been done by EA and released to us so we havnt had to put many hours into fixing there problems (i myself have now dedicated 20 hours to this issue).

(Such as resolution, detail level, target fps and similar)

I run 1920x1080 windowed. all details are set as low as possible and my fps is set to 60. For some reason 60 is now the max it used to let me set it to 200. I have tried all the different setting possible.

Please note that setting cache to zero and running compatibilty to xp service pack 3 running as admin may help, although the reason im getting less crashing is prolly from reseting every 10-20 minutes, which i think is unacceptle and EA tech support agreed with me.

Also i hear about crashes to desktop on the 2d client but not nearly as often. I cant remember and i dont wanna chase a wild goose but i think its after the people try and crash on EC.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Problem State
Is Crashing a Problem?: (Yes/No/Somewhat)not now
If yes, How often do you crash?: (In game hours/minutes)
-----, When/Where does crashing most frequently occur?:always happened or minimizes when using mouse to move

System Information
CPU: amd duel core 64x2 tk-42 1.60 ghz
Operating System:win 7
Video Card/Chip:ati radion hd 3200

If Vista/Win7:
Did you install Directx9.0c?:yes beside 11
Is your windows Acc Admin on the PC?:acc admin

Game Settings:
Cache Size: (mb)0
Cartographer Enabled/Running?:no

Other Relevant Information:after setting to 0 cache size i have had 0 total crashed and its been a couple of weeks now although i have had 2 minimize to desktop (not crashes) but this could be a win 7 function i am hitting the keys for by accident

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem State
Is Crashing a Problem?: NO, not since early beta.
If yes, How often do you crash?:

System Information
CPU: AMD 64 939 x2 4200
Operating System: windows 7
Video Card/Chip: ATI 5770
Video Dedicated Memory Amount (If any): 1024MB

If Vista/Win7:
Did you install Directx9.0c?: think the game installs this during setup?
Is your windows Acc Admin on the PC?: yes

Game Settings:
Cache Size: (mb) as far as it goes
Cartographer Enabled/Running?: yes

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem State
Is Crashing a Problem?:
Crashed once only

System Information
CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 550 3.10ghz
Operating System: win 7 32 bit
Video Card/Chip: Nvidia GeForce 7300GT

If Vista/Win7:
Did you install Directx9.0c?: no
Is your windows Acc Admin on the PC?: yes

Game Settings:
Cache Size: (mb) 1024

One crash only, it happened when zoomed out to max - a setting I very seldom use.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the crashfree persons i would like to know are you using the EC as main client? And how long are your general game sessions? Because if you only login for 2 hours a day, crashing is no problem for you. Also it is important what you are doing, standing at one location or moving around, i think moving around is the problem, if you standing at home working all day long, crashing is also no problem for you.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the crashfree persons i would like to know are you using the EC as main client? And how long are your general game sessions? Because if you only login for 2 hours a day, crashing is no problem for you. Also it is important what you are doing, standing at one location or moving around, i think moving around is the problem, if you standing at home working all day long, crashing is also no problem for you.
I play with both clients. i have tried really hard to try and cause a crash cause of memory leak, but my memory dont budge above 800mb. And yes i have tried running in and out of every house in luna without a problem, Did not crash and memory still not much over the initial 800 ish.

EDIT: I was able to reach 1042mb used, taking a round in luna, britain and new magincia and running from umbra to luna on Atlantic. and after that 1145mb entering every house in luna also on atlantic.

So you might have a point, thats its based on system memory pool + activity level. i fail to see how i could possibly crash in 20 minutes with this tho. took me half an hour to do all this, at least.

and no i still did not crash :)

Problem State
If yes, How often do you crash?: Practicly never.
-----, When/Where does crashing most frequently occur?: Havent crashed for months.

System Information
CPU: Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz (Q6600)
Operating System: Win7 64bit
Video Card/Chip: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Video Dedicated Memory Amount (If any): 1024mb
Video Designated Total Memory?: 2815mb

If Vista/Win7:

Game Settings:
Cache Size: Currently 0mb, tho have tested different settings and still crash free.

Running Maximized window on a 1680x1050 monitor.
Target FPS 60 FPS. Vsync Enabled.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play with both clients. i have tried really hard to try and cause a crash cause of memory leak, but my memory dont budge above 800mb. And yes i have tried running in and out of every house in luna without a problem, Did not crash and memory still not much over the initial 800 ish.

EDIT: I was able to reach 1042mb used, taking a round in luna, britain and new magincia and running from umbra to luna on Atlantic. and after that 1145mb entering every house in luna also on atlantic.

So you might have a point, thats its based on system memory pool + activity level. i fail to see how i could possibly crash in 20 minutes with this tho. took me half an hour to do all this, at least.

and no i still did not crash :)

Problem State
If yes, How often do you crash?: Practicly never.
-----, When/Where does crashing most frequently occur?: Havent crashed for months.

System Information
CPU: Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz (Q6600)
Operating System: Win7 64bit
Video Card/Chip: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Video Dedicated Memory Amount (If any): 1024mb
Video Designated Total Memory?: 2815mb

If Vista/Win7:

Game Settings:
Cache Size: Currently 0mb, tho have tested different settings and still crash free.

Running Maximized window on a 1680x1050 monitor.
Target FPS 60 FPS. Vsync Enabled.
Ive run around for over a half hour going to 1.1 like you saai with no crash but at the same time ive logged in at my fel yew hous eon atl ran outside and went 4-5 scrrens to the moongate area and crashed in the small green area just above moongate. all this within what 3 minutes? its random. i can play for an hour or 3 mins.