• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

MyUO and Siege Meet and Greet

StarstrukK

Adventurer
Sorry if this was covered already but I don't know what this even means as I don't follow gamer laws.

[18/06/25][19:23:12] [EM Kincaid]: *waits for his prompt*
[18/06/25][19:23:21] [Leawyn II]: Hail.
[18/06/25][19:23:25] [Mesanna]: greetings
[18/06/25][19:23:34] [Leawyn II]: Welcome back to Siege. I only have one question.
[18/06/25][19:23:42] [Mesanna]: thank you
[18/06/25][19:23:48] [Leawyn II]: Will MyUO ever be updated and on track again?
[18/06/25][19:24:34] [Mesanna]: we have to add a feature to be able to opt out of myuo due to the new laws protecting gamers
[18/06/25][19:24:49] [Leawyn II]: Ah.
[18/06/25][19:24:55] [Mesanna]: so until that is done it will not be back up
[18/06/25][19:25:01] [Leawyn II]: *nods*
[18/06/25][19:25:04] [Leawyn II]: Ok.
[18/06/25][19:25:07] [Leawyn II]: I thank thee.
[18/06/25][19:25:09] [Mesanna]: but yes we do want to see it return
[18/06/25][19:25:13] [Mesanna]: most welcome
[18/06/25][19:25:13] [Leawyn II]: Aye.
[18/06/25][19:25:17] [Leawyn II]: Ciao.
[18/06/25][19:25:23] [Mesanna]: night

How does a law protecting gamers impact MyUO? I don't understand this can someone please post what this new law is about lol.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They are now required to have your permission to post information about you, so they need to put in a switch for you to say yes/no to displaying your info before they can bring back MyUO.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have to admit, that answer confused me.

I can see how they'd need consent to display any information that could be used to identify you...in the real world. But in UO? Seriously? But MyUO didn't display any data that could be used to stalk someone...ever. Sure, you could narrow done which of the 500 Legolases on your shard ganked you at the Yew gate...maybe get a rough idea of their template...their guild...but that's it. Nothing personal, nothing real. It didn't even tell you if someone was currently logged in, let alone where they were on the map.

*shrugs*

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Idk.. the places I worked, sometimes we just needed an convenient answer for the customer. It did not have to be the full truth, just something the customer buys or can't deny. Same here.

We know how bugged MyUO was.. ;) They could only welcome to shut it down after all the constant complains and mockery over it not working at all. And if they are even remotely referring to the GDPR, they got their cheap excuse.

Just like the "bounty system" answer. Other games still have bounty systems. But you don't cut heads off of people... just saying.

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Why didn't they just tell us the real reason in the first place? What was the point of making something up and then not saying a word for over 6 months? *bewildered* :(

Syncros

Adventurer
As long as it's not posting my RL info what does it matter about an in-game character name.

Plus they could just change the TOS when you log in to cover their behinds and no-one would prob ever know about the change anyways.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It's not like characters are all linked together unless you have a guild with them all in. How would you even know who a person's alts were?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's actually a load of rubbish to.
The new privacy Laws don't affect "player chars" it only affects actual players info like address, phone numbers, account info ect.
We do not own the in-game chars therefore they can do whatever they want with the chars info.

The only way this would be the case is if MyUO was operated by a 3rd party and more info than just the char is being shared with the 3rd party site.....which if it is the case is very naughty to start with.

Another one where they broke it, cannot fix it, try to blag us with an excuse.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting.

I don't mind anyone looking at my MyUO character information. I was more bugged long ago when they put our character name on our house signs.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's actually a load of rubbish to.
The new privacy Laws don't affect "player chars" it only affects actual players info like address, phone numbers, account info ect.
We do not own the in-game chars therefore they can do whatever they want with the chars info.

The only way this would be the case is if MyUO was operated by a 3rd party and more info than just the char is being shared with the 3rd party site.....which if it is the case is very naughty to start with.

Another one where they broke it, cannot fix it, try to blag us with an excuse.
The usual cheerleaders have already picked it up and will repeat it ad nauseam until it becomes a truth.

Meanwhile, does anyone know which law Mesanna is actually referring to? No idea if there were any new privacy laws in the US. Pretty sure she can't mean GDPR.. no.. not even she would.. would she??

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No new laws for the US (they opted out in favour of continuing to share personal info without your consent), but Europe has brought in new Internet privacy laws to protect private info.
That's the one she's referring too but as usual has completely misinterpreted it.

Basically don't expect MyUO to ever be correct again though.
If they add an "opt in" button.....how many people do you really think will do it and let every other PvP'er know exactly what they are wearing and skills they have.....they will go ninja so you wont know.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea, that's GDPR. How lucky she can blame it on our nice new privacy laws instead of her amateur engineers :D

At least she didn't just geo-block all Europeans, like some other US providers did :cool:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cannot see what the fuss is about really though, it's only used by PK'ers anyway....

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO did it for the same reason that we do not have a bounty system anymore. UO is a world wide MMO so it tries its best to follow all major countries laws.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO did it for the same reason that we do not have a bounty system anymore. UO is a world wide MMO so it tries its best to follow all major countries laws.
That's the point though, there isn't a law in the whole world that says Broadsword cannot share details on it's own in-game characters which they own to start with. ?? :confused2:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's the point though, there isn't a law in the whole world that says Broadsword cannot share details on it's own in-game characters which they own to start with. ?? :confused2:
Well the same could have been said about the bounty system and UO would have been banned in Germany so could UO be banned in Europe for the same reason, do we risk losing all those players? Do you think BS didn't ask EA Legal for advice or maybe EA Legal told BS to no longer support this part of UO just to be on the safe side? EA employs lawyers that understand laws of other countries far better than the board lawyers here. But lets just blame BS for it because we all know the internet has turned into nothing more than troll state and lets blame everybody for everything or let shame everybody.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I actually got it right earlier when I was joking but...
Broadsword outsource MyUO to a 3rd party and they share account info with that site and not just char details.
This would warrant a consent option....but I doubt anyone will be happy at sharing account info with a silent 3rd party ;)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well the same could have been said about the bounty system and UO would have been banned in Germany so could UO be banned in Europe for the same reason, do we risk losing all those players? Do you think BS didn't ask EA Legal for advice or maybe EA Legal told BS to no longer support this part of UO just to be on the safe side? EA employs lawyers that understand laws of other countries far better than the board lawyers here. But lets just blame BS for it because we all know the internet has turned into nothing more than troll state and lets blame everybody for everything or let shame everybody.
Funny how I just collected bounties in GTA by killing other players yesterday. In the middle of Germany *shocked* But you go and keep repeating Bonnie's cheap excuses :)

They could bring a bounty system back whenever they want. It's only more expensive than some fluffy words.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Funny how I just collected bounties in GTA by killing other players yesterday. In the middle of Germany *shocked* But you go and keep repeating Bonnie's cheap excuses :)

They could bring a bounty system back whenever they want. It's only more expensive than some fluffy words.
So were you able to take their heads and what is their game rating.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So were you able to take their heads and what is their game rating.
That is actually the point I'm trying to make: I can shoot them in the head but not cut it off. And if UO left that part out as well, they could likely add a bounty system again too. Just loot some kind of permit instead of some body parts.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It wasn't the decapitation that threatened UO's spread to Europe, it was the cannibalism. Originally, you could cut up an entire player corpse...repeatedly. A torso would net you organs, a head would give you a brain, and appendages would give you jerky. Named human jerky. Which you could then eat. This was frowned upon.

So they removed all human "corpse abuse." (though many of the named items still exist)

A non-item-based bounty system (a la the pirate bounties) could still be implemented and not run afoul of any laws. But with so few reds, there really isn't much point.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is actually the point I'm trying to make: I can shoot them in the head but not cut it off. And if UO left that part out as well, they could likely add a bounty system again too. Just loot some kind of permit instead of some body parts.
You can not compare a M rated game to a T rated game when it comes to violence.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why is this posted on Stratics, why not post it on UO.com and see where it takes you

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember years ago when we logged into myuo, there was a place where we could view our chars and choose to "not show" them. We use to only see top 3 skills and their clothing/armour. As far as it only being used for pvp, as a person who was a recruiter (and still am) for my guild, I used it to see if someone was fibbing about their char. It always had many uses. I found a path to it the other day and still use it for reference. Not much I can get out of it now as it is frozen in time, but it can help. Just the other day I helped someone with an old guildmate's name to see if they could hook up again.