• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mysticism] Mysticism in PvP?

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is anyone using mysticism in PvP? If so, how useful is it? Which spells do you use and why?

I have a character that I am considering retooling for PvP. She is currently a ninja with archery and poisoning. Would mysticism be of any help? I was thinking that at least the cleansing winds might be useful, but I am wondering if some of the other spells would also work. Oh, and this character is not in factions.

[Note: I am a complete noob when it comes to PvP. But I've decided to try and learn, at least enough to help others, and thought that this character might have the most useful template for it.]

Thanks!

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First ask yoruself, do you want to be a mage/spell caster or a dexer/archer

Mysticism is very useful in pvp, but mystic mages are much more common than the mystic dexer/archer

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First ask yoruself, do you want to be a mage/spell caster or a dexer/archer
Mysticism is very useful in pvp, but mystic mages are much more common than the mystic dexer/archer
I see myself as a dexer/archer, with mysticism on the side. Maybe it will only be used for cleansing winds. But would a timely spell plague or some other spell be any help at all? And if so, would it be to start or finish with? I will also admit that one of the reasons for adding mysticism is to be of more help at champ spawns. RCs/arrows early, arrows late.

I do have another character that actually has mystic/mage/necro, but she is a very young character who is still working toward her 720 skill cap.

Indeed, I thought about posting this question on the warrior forum, but I thought that perhaps here might get some feedback from some mystic/mages as to what they use it for.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt you will get much use out of the mysticism considering what you would give up to obtain it. You would need to add 100lrc, casting, and some sdi for it to be very useful. I've run a mystic thrower and a mystic bushido dexer before, but they were both pre-spell plague nerf, and aren't enarly as powerful as what they were. if you want to play an archer i'd suggest sticking to archery/ninja and maybe add a weap skill like fencing.

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, she has fencing and I could put that back on, along with anatomy, but if they are close enough to hit with a sword, they are certainly close enough to hit with a shiruken. Another option might be to add healing/anatomy, as right now her healing is either ninja forms or joat. Thank you for your input on this. Eventually this character will evolve enough to be useful.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, she has fencing and I could put that back on, along with anatomy, but if they are close enough to hit with a sword, they are certainly close enough to hit with a shiruken. Another option might be to add healing/anatomy, as right now her healing is either ninja forms or joat. Thank you for your input on this. Eventually this character will evolve enough to be useful.

Thread resurrection for a question to Adrianas:

Well, it's been the best part of a year now... So what did that character evolve into? Just curious about what you finally decided and what the thought processes were that took you there... ;)

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thread resurrection for a question to Adrianas:
Well, it's been the best part of a year now... So what did that character evolve into? Just curious about what you finally decided and what the thought processes were that took you there... ;)
Eh eh. Well, that *is* an interesting question. I discovered that trying to PvP as a strict ninja/archer (or even ninja/archer/fencer) template does not work (at least for me) unless you have someone else working with you. I could easily dismount opponents, but not finish them off. Poison is too easily cured, even now. Now, I do know folks who use the archer template in PvP, but they are not running max ninja on it - maybe just running 50 ninja so they can smoke bomb.

The Mysticism is great for PvM, but as Cetric noted it seems to work best if it is paired with some other form of casting. One of the problems is keeping up with the fast pace of PvP as everyone is running all the time. This character was human at the time, though, as you'll see below, she kinda morphed....

Since I live on Siege, I had experienced "account creep" and one day woke up see that I had 6(!) accounts. [When did that happen! lol.] I decided that 5 is my limit (it should be 4, but I just couldn't bring myself to drop that 5th account), so I ended up "morphing" the human ninja/dexxer into the elven necro/myst character [because I have a cool house in Termur that is themed for Elvira the necro/myst and I didn't want to have to re-make that house into an oriental design - of the two houses I had, the gothic mansion and the oriental home, the gothic mansion was more unique to be sure. I do not "RP" much in game, but it is important to me that the design of my houses match my characters. So I have an elf that lives in a raised house on the coast outside Skara, a gargoyle in Magincia running the "Termur Consulate" who has built her house with the gargoyle tile sets, the human crafter in a castle, etc. Anyway.....

The bottom line is that now I have character that is extremely versatile, but is more of a caster. I think her favorite template is the one which has hiding/stealth, necro/spirit speak and mystic/focus. Currently she's running with begging for the Halloween season. [that is, after all, *her* holiday!] But she still has the fencing/tactics/archery/poisoning on stones. She *can* toss the archery/tactics on if we are going into a pure PvM situation where that will be most useful. Of course, she also ended up taking up taming . . . (Can you tell this character owns a lot of soul stones?)

I have not tried to PvP with her, but if I were going to, I might go try it with hiding/stealth, necro/spirit speak, mystic/focus, and poisoning. Or go with the necro/tamer template. If one is experienced in PvP (which I am not), then I am sure that one could build a good template that utilizes Mystic. But it would take someone who has the resources to build the sort of suits, jewelry, etc. and know-how on how to play such a template to make it work I think.