• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My worst nightmare

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was eavesdropping at a bank in Trammel the other day when it happened. My four least favorite words.

"You have been revealed"

How can this happen in Trammel? It has never happened before. As I understand, detect hidden only works in Fel. Am I mistaken?

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
So wait I have a question.... if you tame a bird or turkey, bond it then walk around fel will it reveal people there too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
yes.

birds usually have around 80 detect hidden skill so they passively detect anyone who is stealthing near them.
we use to tame and release birds at faction bases to reveal stealthing thieves back in the day, worked like a charm.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Birds, rabbits, cats, all reveal... I have a couple tamed pets with high detect... 90 or so...

But yes it's sad... lame really especially if you have GM hiding and 120 stealth. But then even in Tram someone with JOAT Tracking can find and track you. Which IMO is even more lame.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just use a disguise kit and dress up like an npc banker, instead. :p

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just use a disguise kit and dress up like an npc banker, instead. [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]:p[/bcolor]
or be a cat, dog, rat... etc... with ninjitsu...

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Eavesdropping at a bank? I guess I shouldn't ask
As a thief, I rely on information, some of which is obtained through eavesdropping. I also monitor discord, follow people around, and create toons only for reconnaissance. I have notebooks full of information that is obtained this way. I probably know more about the Atlantic player base than anyone. I know most everyone's alt toons, where they live, where they hunt, what suit they wear, and when they are online. It's creepy, I know, but the information comes in handy at times. I spend about 95% of my playing time collecting information and social engineering to build trust. The other 5% is spent planning and executing heists. It may also interest everyone that most of what I steal goes right into the trash barrel.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
As a thief, I rely on information, some of which is obtained through eavesdropping. I also monitor discord, follow people around, and create toons only for reconnaissance. I have notebooks full of information that is obtained this way. I probably know more about the Atlantic player base than anyone. I know most everyone's alt toons, where they live, where they hunt, what suit they wear, and when they are online. It's creepy, I know, but the information comes in handy at times. I spend about 95% of my playing time collecting information and social engineering to build trust. The other 5% is spent planning and executing heists. It may also interest everyone that most of what I steal goes right into the trash barrel.
SNEAKY SNEAKY, Stinky Pete. I got to hand it to you though: You got the b***s to admit you are doing this. Creepy or not, that is your playstyle, this is what you enjoy..as despicable as it is..

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Didn't know many people played thieves as mains. That's awesome. Have you noticed many other thieves? What kind of gold can you make other than stealing power scrolls?

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They can make alot of gold there are two kinds of thieves.
The ones that work in fel and steal PS am ok with thats there playstyle.
But the ones that wait for you to drop a rare item to lock down and steal it before you say i wish to lock this down i cant stand. But that is why i also make sure there no one hideing in my place when i do it.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not many people play as thieves these days. I can't say too much of how we are organized. It's definitely not for everyone as it takes a ton of patience. Stealing power scrolls is how I make most of my gold but there are several other ways to make gold as well, which I am not obliged to talk about. It's certainly not a get rich quick scheme, but some have gotten fairly wealthy. I do it mainly to see the tears of my marks, call it griefing or whatever, but nothing that I do is unavoidable. I teach hard lessons.

Also, for me, gold is irrelevant. I don't especially need it. I guess its nice to have but all of my equipment is blessed.I don't use insurance at all. Since I can't give murder counts, I make sure that there is no benefit to killing me. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Last edited:

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I understand its a playstyle.

We have people that get rich buying low and selling high.
We have people that do champ spawns for loot.
Em events.

To name a few its just how they spend there time in UO.

The big picture is We all play the game they way we want to thats the way it was made. And why it has lasted 21 years.