• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My thoughts as the 15th year comes to us

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Each year when September rolls around, rather or not I'm currently playing UO at that moment, it comes to mind.

Earlier this year, I rectivated my account again (I've actually closed it twice over the years). I played every day for months and then took a break for what I guess must have been two weeks. I learned that you can't do that if you have a Britannina ship full of fish and therefore can't dock. I lost my ship. I was so angry, I haven't played since.

Last night, I updated the UO client. I knew that the 15th anniversary was coming up (looked it up today - the actual anniversary is the 27th of September when the servers went live).

This prompted me to look back at my last 15 years. I opened my UO account November 1997. OH how my life has changed in 15 years. I was known as Brianna Knight back then. My then husband was Feral Knight.

In late 1998, I became divorcedin RL. In 1999, I paid to change my main (and only at the time) character name to Rhiannon, which is what I've been known as since.

I've never played any shard but Atlantic. With the two times I've had my account closed, I lost. 4.5 years of time so my account is 10.5 years old technically. And this last March, the real person behind Feral Knight passed away.

I have learned so many things in the past 15 years, much of it from "a game". I have made friends, lost friends, laughed, cried, struggled, flourished, visited many different worlds, some very foreign to Britannia. But one thing that I know for sure that will never change: I am forever grateful for this amazing world that I have explored off and on for 15 years.

Thank you Richard Garriott for your vision and drive to bring this world to all of us. I am eternally in your debt.

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Rhiannon, I was wondering where you vanished to. Sorry about your ship, I lost mine aswell and finaly replaced it. We have so much fish at the fishing house, don't worry about those. The Tokuno ships don't hold asmuch as the Britainna one does but they give a bonus to fishing I think.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just loved that big ship. I kept it painted and would do deep sea fishing on the weekends on my main computer for hours. Then every evening, while having "quality time" with the hubby while watching TV, on my laptop I'd do crabbing as it was safer (I could NOT kill a sea serpent using a laptop mouse). I so enjoyed that. Then I took that break not realizing two weeks had passed before checking in. I don't know if I'd get a new ship again. Not with my play style of popping in when something interests me and taking long breaks for whatever reason.

Never gone forever, my friend. :)

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also quit when I lost my Britannian ship. I missed the refresh by one day and lost my entire fleet. I figured I paid real $ for the Britannian ship and I felt it should have been at least as permanent as a house.
I think I feel the same way about the game and even while I was on a "game break" I was still keeping Lord Raven alive on the Internet. So now I'm back again too.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did learn a valuable lesson: The $15 a month is worth keeping your account open. You never know when you'll want to come back and it's difficult when you realize what you have lost. All those incredible rares I used to have. :wall: