• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My Origin account was hacked

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today I was kicked off my Origin account because someone else logged in. I was able to quickly log back in and change my password, all they had time to do was change my avatar and change the country and language to Kazakhstan. I didn't have any funds in my wallet or a credit card on the account so I haven't lost anything.

I'm just here to warn everybody to check their Origin accounts. I've checked several of my other accounts and nothing looks suspicious so I don't think it was a breach on my end. Pretty sure there was a leak at Origin.

Just an FYI.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This happened to my friend once.. When he got back in control there was purchased about $2500 worth of FIFA stuff, this was a few years ago.. He did get refund though.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah i would never store my credit card info there. I enter it each time I purchase.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are also able to use your cellular for authentication

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't trust origin or anyone associated with origin with my real credit info. Their sites in general are sketchy. I don't even want to imagine what their security is like.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i stopped using my credit card with Origin years ago.
i stopped using my credit card with everything online.

if i have to use my CC for something online i have a couple of those pre-loaded ones laying around for that, all with small amounts on them.

nothing worse than someone using your CC to ring up thousands of dollars in fraudulent purchases.
even if you do get refunded the process takes a long time and you are usually out that money for the entire time until they are done their investigation.

pain pain pain in the posterior.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Today I was kicked off my Origin account because someone else logged in. I was able to quickly log back in and change my password, all they had time to do was change my avatar and change the country and language to Kazakhstan. I didn't have any funds in my wallet or a credit card on the account so I haven't lost anything.

I'm just here to warn everybody to check their Origin accounts. I've checked several of my other accounts and nothing looks suspicious so I don't think it was a breach on my end. Pretty sure there was a leak at Origin.

Just an FYI.
Do you have the orgin store downloaded to your computer?

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My credit card company I requested a credit card with a limit of $ 500.00 on the card only. This way if I do ever get hacked jokes on those losers because whatever they order won't go threw I keep the card maxed pay min on it.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Enable two factor authentication.
Do it everywhere you can. Do it religiously.

Also do not use the same password elsewhere.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I couldn't remember if i set up cell phone authentication or not so i logged in and sure enough I had to enter in a code. Not sure if anyone else uses a password protection program or not but I use "dashlane" and never have to type any of my passwords in. All my passwords are encrypted locally on my machine.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I removed all my payment info from Origin after the big FIFA hack a while back. I now just by game time codes from the store using PayPal.

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This happened to me a few months ago. It was a Russian from what I could tell. He logged on my account to use battlefield 4 and got me a few achievements (lol). EA was really helpful in turning my account back over to me and now I use my cell phone for verification if anything changes on my account.

Enziet

Journeyman
Google authenticator is a program you can download on your PC or on your Cell Phone. It randomly generates a number that you have to punch in every time you login to your Origin / EA account. It's like having a password that resets every min or so.

If you login to your EA / Origin account, and look under the security settings. It will tell you there how to get an authenticator attached to your account, and no you don't need to have a cell / smart phone to use the authenticator :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your account was not hacked.
First someone has to figure out your user name then
Second someone has to figure out your password
If both of those are that easy to figure out than you picked some very easy user name and password.
What most likely is that your computer was compromised or you told some one your information.

My UO Account was compromised years ago and a friend came over and walked right in the back door through ICQ so that was erased ASAP.

General Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I feel stupid, I'm looking for the security area but just can't find it. Could someone please spell it out for me? Sorry to be a pain.

General Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I might have it figured out, I was looking in the account management site as I never go to the Origin site.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Send me your login name and password and I can tell you who hacked your account........JUST KIDDING. Well at least you didn't lose anything.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My credit card company I requested a credit card with a limit of $ 500.00 on the card only. This way if I do ever get hacked jokes on those losers because whatever they order won't go threw I keep the card maxed pay min on it.
This made me chuckle.

I don't know if you keep it maxed intentionally, but I'm pretty sure you can ask for lower limits instead if eating the excess interest.

But to each their own.