• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Ninjitsu] My new template.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Skills:
Swords 100 (120 with Captain John's Hat)
Tactics 110 (120 with Soldier's Medal)
Ninjitsu 120
Anatomy 120
Healing 80
Chivalry 90
LJ 100

Stats:
Str 124
Dex 121
Int 10

Suit:
71/71/70/70/72, 70 DI, 55 LMC, 50 HCI, 35 DCI, 25 SSI, 25 HP, 40 Stam, 40 Mana (plus Tactics, Swords, NS, and MR)

Giving:
137 HP, 150 Dex, 190 Stam, 50 Mana

Weapons are all Double Axes that need only 30 DI, I've so far only made one for doing Blackthorn Masters, with 50 Hit Lightning and all three leeches. Using Focus Attack all Hit properties are 100%.

So far killed Semidar, the character is male so I used Enemy Of One then went in to Unicorn Form (to prevent Poison blocking my bandages), was using an old Ornate Axe for this not optimised for the new template and just cast Mirror Image and used bandages.

Also did a couple of Blackthorn Macers, again just Mirror Images and bandages, died once on one mainly because I was trying to type to someone rather than pressing my macros.

With Mirror Images you don't stop swinging while casting them and at 120 skill there is a 90% chance that an enemies physical hit will divert to an Image, when it does it loses target and stands there getting hit. I have 0 FC/FCR and didn't have a problem keeping 4 Images up most of the time against the Blackthorn Master despite the fact that with 100% Hit Lightning landing it causes them to aggro immediately (as would any delayed damage going off).

You also get a nice damage bonus from Focus Attack of around 30%.

This build should also have no problem with Meph, I have done Meph with a Stealth/Thrower just standing toe to toe with Images and bandages.

I am intending to do Paroxysmus' sometime soon to find out if those Images heal him.

I could add to the build slightly by either wearing a robe or epaulettes for a further 5 DCI, 2 MR or 6 stats, I could also add another 5 stats with the Valiant scroll. But these are things I'd rather hunt for than buy.

Animal Form has a dozen benefits for various situations.

Blackthorn Macer (skills not complete yet):
Ninja Vs Captain.jpg

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Interesting template. I'm guessing since you have some healing rather than depending on just leeching life you don't miss HLD?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
What kind of bonus? (DI that's under 100% cap or ..?)

You use Focus attack - so you don't use weapon specials?
It's part of the 300% cap.

The 100% is just from equipment.

I use both, depending on the situation, kind of why I went with Double Axes (I have before too). On the masters 100% Hit Lightning is more effective on some of them than Double Strike. I haven't yet made AI weapons.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Couple of other character hitting it too, so to make it easier (so less running around after it) I stood on top of it and spammed Image/Attack Last macro to keep it on me. Think I got hit twice the entire fight. Still with non optimal weapon.

Mephitis: Ninja Vs Meph.jpg

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Ninja Vs Parox.jpg Ninja Vs Parox 2.jpg

So Images DO work here too.

Double Strike / Focus Attack / Images all the way through.

I spent half the fight pasting pictures into Paint.

Methos Meridius

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have never used Ninjitsu before and I'm curious on how to use this template at lower lvls? I made a new character and bought 40 ninjitsu and by the time I cast the 4 images, I'm out of mana and not doing enough dmg to leech it back. Is this not viable until I can get the skills to higher lvls or have better gear? That has always been my problem playing the warrior class, I can never afford the high end gear and can never farm it myself because I die so often that I just give up on the char. Thanks in advance.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
What exactly does Focus Attack do? both UOG and UOSS simply say "bonus to damage and hit properties for 1 attack" UOG says "scaled by Ninja skill" also.

What's that weapon look like when not focused: 50/81/81/50?

Do you get the utility of the over-capped HML and HLL - IE, can you leech 55% of damage done on a hit instead of maxxing at 30% (the max leech when at 100%).

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I have never used Ninjitsu before and I'm curious on how to use this template at lower lvls? I made a new character and bought 40 ninjitsu and by the time I cast the 4 images, I'm out of mana and not doing enough dmg to leech it back. Is this not viable until I can get the skills to higher lvls or have better gear? That has always been my problem playing the warrior class, I can never afford the high end gear and can never farm it myself because I die so often that I just give up on the char. Thanks in advance.
The two most useful Ninjitsu abilities are Animal Form and Mirror Images, both are based on your skill level, for example the HP regen from Cat/Dog Form is your skill divided by 3. Your chance to divert an attack to an image is your skill minus 30. So the first thing I would do is play with Animal Form and Mirror Images while you gain skill, Frog/Serpent are fun. If you can, put on some training gear up to FC/FCR, LMC, MR, Mana Increase, this stuff isn't hard to get items such as Boomsticks etc. You can then spam Mirror Images and kill them yourself or (and probably not a great idea if you tend to die a lot) there are places in UO where just standing on a certain tile causes you to get hit by a burst of gas (such as in Paroxysmus' Palace) these spots have the great effect of killing your Images too, so I usually train by standing there in Cat/Dog Form and spamming Images. You need to be semi co-ordinated in clearing the area first though.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
What exactly does Focus Attack do? both UOG and UOSS simply say "bonus to damage and hit properties for 1 attack" UOG says "scaled by Ninja skill" also.

What's that weapon look like when not focused: 50/81/81/50?

Do you get the utility of the over-capped HML and HLL - IE, can you leech 55% of damage done on a hit instead of maxxing at 30% (the max leech when at 100%).
At 120 Ninjitsu it increases all 'Hit' properties by 100%, so doubles them, and gives 30% DI.

Yeah, it's 50/81/81/50.

No, as you can't logically hit more than 100% of the time, you can have 200% Hit Area/Fireball it'll still only go off once, I imbued to 81 because obviously I'm not always using Focus Attack.

I'm not 100% sure if there were other factors at play but I don't think it works 100% of the time, as I have used 100% Hit Area and it's not appeared to go off, it may be an animation glitch or it may be that I was using a 44% weapon I can't recall.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Well, you can't hit more than 100% of the time... but the intensity of the amount leeched also depends on the hit leech %. I believe the equation is: amount Leeched = rand(0.0, 0.4)*hit effect%*damage done. It works on all hits - though sometimes you roll 0% to leech. So, in theory, if I have 150% HML... and I hit for 100 damage, I could leech up to 60 mana, but with 100 HML I'd be capped at 40 leeched, and with 81, I'd be capped at 32.

I do know that if you reforge a Longsword (which is normally imbuable to 100 HML) to show 100 HML, you can then imbue SSI, and retain the 100% HML... until you imbue enough SSI - so it's overcapped behind the scenes - but only shows 100% on the props screen. I didn't do any testing with the weapon showing 100% to see if it behaved as though it had >100% leech effect though.

Looks like I'm going to be working up some ninja this weekend...

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
@Tuan you gota be a mathematician or something dealing with numbers all day...u have more numbers in your posts then the pie symbol. Don't get me wrong I love seeing the numbers behind all the random imbuing I do and hoping it works, but u are on point with all these numbers boss!

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Ah that's true. Then to answer your question, I don't know lol, I just know it doesn't shoot two Fireballs etc.

Thought I'd start at the beginning and give Dreadhorn a go. Decided to make a Balanced Ornate for this one, so I could drink Greater Str/Dex which I set a macro for in UOA. To counter the effects of the -20 stat thing it does. Doesn't affect my mana as it's at 10 Int anyway. Hit for 60-80s normal, 90-110's with Focus Attack.

Ninja Vs Dreadhorn.jpg

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
On a scale of 1 to 10 (comparing I guess to a sampire) how fun would you rate this template? Most of us don't run odd templates like this but I am intrigued as an alternate to running my samp all the time to trying something like this. What pros and cons would you give this temp?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I'd say that for me a sampire is about a 4 out of 10 in terms of fun, and this is about a 7 or 8. I'd also say that this is less odd than a sampire template. If anything it's a pure Ninja dexxer where as a sampire is a hybrid.

Hard to quantify it vs other templates because there's so many variations that it's not always the case but I would say...

Pros:
Not reliant on leeching.
Certain fights are easier than on a sampire, specifically Semidar and Meph.
Different Forms stops every fight being identical.
Different playstyle in general.
Less skill points for greater defence. (120 Ninjitsu vs 120 Bushido+Parry)

Cons:
Less damage than with Bushido.

Although that's partly because I have LJ, I could run Bush or LJ, or Necro or a number of things and still use Ninjitsu.

hirikawa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's interesting, i could try it by just swaping 120 Parry for 120 Ninjitsu on my Pure Paladin Setup. That's how it looks for me, it's about Parrying vs Ninjitsu on Warrior Template because of Mirror. Might work for some encounters someday i will try if i have enough time.

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
@Tuan you gota be a mathematician or something dealing with numbers all day...u have more numbers in your posts then the pie symbol. Don't get me wrong I love seeing the numbers behind all the random imbuing I do and hoping it works, but u are on point with all these numbers boss!
Close. I do have a math degree, but I'm a software engineer by day. I focus most of my time on algorithms, as opposed to, say, UI work. Being logical is basically what I do.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What skills/spells/moves can you use in animal form?
They basically blocked nearly everything out from being used while in animal form. No weapon specials, no ninja or bushido specials except mirror image and honor, no spells from the casting skills,no bard abilities ( that would be very nice to use and not op ), bandages pots and consumables do work. Eoo keeps running , at least last time i did that.

Something special about unicorn form is that it gives complete poison immunity up to lvl3, you cant get poisoned at all ( up to lvl3 ) which means bandages always heal and a gift of renewal wont get disrupted.
There are some mobs that seem to be unable to cast much except cure spell if you chain poison them in snake form.
Also on top of the 40 hpr from cat or dog form you could stack 20hpr from suit, 22 from peace mastery + whatever gift of renewal gives.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
It's interesting, i could try it by just swaping 120 Parry for 120 Ninjitsu on my Pure Paladin Setup. That's how it looks for me, it's about Parrying vs Ninjitsu on Warrior Template because of Mirror. Might work for some encounters someday i will try if i have enough time.
A guy on my shard swapped something out for it on his sampire, he still had Vamp Form and Parry, and was AI'ing and was pretty much invincible. He stated something like for ever 50 hits he got hit once, this was vs a Fencer.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
They basically blocked nearly everything out from being used while in animal form. No weapon specials, no ninja or bushido specials except mirror image and honor, no spells from the casting skills,no bard abilities ( that would be very nice to use and not op ), bandages pots and consumables do work. Eoo keeps running , at least last time i did that.

Something special about unicorn form is that it gives complete poison immunity up to lvl3, you cant get poisoned at all ( up to lvl3 ) which means bandages always heal and a gift of renewal wont get disrupted.
There are some mobs that seem to be unable to cast much except cure spell if you chain poison them in snake form.
Also on top of the 40 hpr from cat or dog form you could stack 20hpr from suit, 22 from peace mastery + whatever gift of renewal gives.
You can use Bard Masteries with the Animal Form gump up then select a form, in order to (for example) run the Provoke Mastery and Wolf Form at the same time giving you 190+ HP.

You can put EoO on and go into Form.

You can use Images.

Weapon specials and casting are blocked.

I suppose I could also make Parasitic darts/stars.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
If you're unable to use nearly any specials/other abilities in animal forms, it would seem that they're somewhat limited in usefulness, no - at least in PvM.

hirikawa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Try Mirrors on Stygian run i wonder if it will work there (i assume it might be to slow)

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Hmm... things that I did not know before today.

Focus attack you may not wear a shield - neither UOG nor UOSS info for the spell(ability?) mention this, nor did I notice it mentioned here (neither the word shield, nor hand appear in this thread other than this post).

hirkawa somewhat mentions it in passing that parry won't work with mirrors - I guess that's what he means, since you can't summon a mirror while wearing a shield.

I also didn't catch the full meaning of CorwinXX above where he says that using focus attack = not using specials.

Can't summon mirrors while mounted... can summon, then mount.

So, in order to use this template, I need to remake all my weapons as 2h.

I guess it's a both or none then: plan to use mirrors, and focus attack all the time, or probably not worth it. Otherwise, without the shield anything I'm going to get hit 20% more often with my current template, since I don't run bush, so with a 2h weapon I'll block 17% instead of 30%. That is, of course, assuming that the old legacy parry equation still actually works.

Hmm...

After careful thought, it seems like this is an awesome damage mitigation template.

I suppose the thing to do is: have a weapon that is 50 hld, 50 hla, 50 hml, 50 hsl, xx DI, and a 'normal' weapon with maxed HML, HLL, HSL, DI, slayer/hit spell
Land a focused attack - you now have 8 seconds of HLA/HLD,
swap weapons
Special
Special
Special
Special
swap
Focussed
repeat

Keep mirrors up as needed. Presumably needtocast a new mirror every 2.5 or 3.75s on avg)

If you get low on stam you can break the cycle to swap the weapon and run a focused attack or two to get stam back up.

So you're guaranteeing that the mob is always HLA/HLD, but still wailing away with your specials 4 out of every 6 hits.

Last edited:

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pvm ninja has always been a special purpose or fun template.
My current variant of this runs 4/5 chiv casting plus 120 healing + leafblade for feint. Problem is, its rather mana intensive, but when it works its great. Have not really played that char since the devs did butcher the ec , should really find the time to update the suit to the better loot.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm... things that I did not know before today.

Focus attack you may not wear a shield - neither UOG nor UOSS info for the spell(ability?) mention this, nor did I notice it mentioned here (neither the word shield, nor hand appear in this thread other than this post).

hirkawa somewhat mentions it in passing that parry won't work with mirrors - I guess that's what he means, since you can't summon a mirror while wearing a shield.

Can't summon mirrors while mounted... can summon, then mount.

So, in order to use this template, I need to remake all my weapons as 2h.

I guess it's a both or none then: plan to use mirrors, and focus attack all the time, or probably not worth it. Otherwise, without the shield anything I'm going to get hit 20% more often with my current template, since I don't run bush, so with a 2h weapon I'll block 17% instead of 30%. That is, of course, assuming that the old legacy parry equation still actually works.

Hmm...
In terms of damage, you are probably better off with double strike.If both strikes hit, you get more then the 100% from focus attack. Last time i did check, focus attack did seem to be bugged and didnt provide the leeches it displayed on the weapon anyway. Otherwise, a 174 hml,hll, 100 hsl, 140 mana drain, 100 hit fatigue weapon hit with focus attack would be a bit op, just an example ofc from an existing weapon.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If you're unable to use nearly any specials/other abilities in animal forms, it would seem that they're somewhat limited in usefulness, no - at least in PvM.
I regard Forms as a sort of support ability. Killing Semidar on a male, looting a Crimson Dragon in the fields with the regen forms. Using the Poisoning and Poison blocking forms.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
You can use Bushido/Parry with Images.

I also didn't catch the full meaning of CorwinXX above where he says that using focus attack = not using specials.
Focus Attack cannot be armed at the same time as a special move.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I basically ran this as my Unbound EV farmer when shame first came out.... Waraxe / luck suit / Vamp form and 2/2 casting (because thats whT i could manage).... The best part about it is that when an attack gets diverted to a mirror image the monster spends ~6 seconds retargetting...unless it has paragon AI. I will say that WHEN your casting images you ddont swing your weapon...or at least that was teue when i ran this temp... With 4 FC and decent recovery though you can still AI spam quite well i bet. If i ran this i might NOT have dci / parry because that 6 sec retarget is what makes this amazing. I wS able to tank 3 unbounds at all times and still have 3 weapons break before my suit was half broken.....

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Other then the fact I have vowed never ever ever to train ninja again.....I would try this....it looks fun! Unless they bring back black rock training :)

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I have a char:
120 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
91 Chivalry
120 Ninjitsu
120 Stealth
100 Hiding
14 free points (not trained yet)
free talisman slot

What can I do with this char in PvM (may be after some changes)?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's almost the same template as my PvP archer Corwin.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I have a char:
120 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
91 Chivalry
120 Ninjitsu
120 Stealth
100 Hiding
free talisman slot

Don't feel I'm telling you anything you don't already know, but you'd only need to change Hiding and Stealth for Healing and something, maybe Bushido, and you could use the character the same way.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
p.s. I have reptolation and cu sidhe talismans. are they useless?
Cu sidhe form is basically useless. It does not really heal for more then what you get from cat/dog, but helps eating trough your bandages , since it uses them also.
Reptalon is odd, i believe it shoots a fireball back every time you take damage.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a char:
120 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
91 Chivalry
120 Ninjitsu
120 Stealth
100 Hiding
free talisman slot

Actually funny char if you replace archery with a melee skill. Maybe lower stealth to 80 and get 50 bushido.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Actually funny char if you replace archery with a melee skill. Maybe lower stealth to 80 and get 50 bushido.
Really this char was a swordsman before I took swordsmanship for some other char. And also this char had LJ/Healing (depending on...) instead of Chivalry.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Have you tried Night Terror?
It looks bugged. When Trasher use AI its damage capped at 35. When Night Terror use AI its damage is not capped.
It kills copies by a mass spell then lands AI for 80-100 damage then adds some magery/necro spells (and deadly poison as a background) . Killed me few times during the fight.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try Mirrors on Stygian run i wonder if it will work there (i assume it might be to slow)
Found the time to dust off my ninja again and play it. Did a stygian dragon, temp basically works, just an ugly fight due to some ae he does and the unpredictable nature of bladeweave. Might upload if i get a less amateurish looking run.
On the bright side, killed 2 paragon ancient wyrms without dying.
Temp is
120 fencing
120 ninja
120 heal
90 anat
90 tactics
90 bushido
90 chiv

4/5 casting with leafblade and shield. That fast casting + healing + feint + images gets you out of a lot of near death situations.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Did Night Terrors on mine, slow and painful are the words I'd use lol, basically the same monster as Paroxysmus' with the addition of Mage/Necro spells. Not leeching enough to keep up with the drains etc.

I'm thinking I'll replace LJ on mine with something else, Resist, Bushido, or Necro.

Boontendo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skills:
Swords 100 (120 with Captain John's Hat)
Tactics 110 (120 with Soldier's Medal)
Ninjitsu 120
Anatomy 120
Healing 80
Chivalry 90
LJ 100

Stats:
Str 124
Dex 121
Int 10

Suit:
71/71/70/70/72, 70 DI, 55 LMC, 50 HCI, 35 DCI, 25 SSI, 25 HP, 40 Stam, 40 Mana (plus Tactics, Swords, NS, and MR)

Giving:
137 HP, 150 Dex, 190 Stam, 50 Mana

Weapons are all Double Axes that need only 30 DI, I've so far only made one for doing Blackthorn Masters, with 50 Hit Lightning and all three leeches. Using Focus Attack all Hit properties are 100%.

So far killed Semidar, the character is male so I used Enemy Of One then went in to Unicorn Form (to prevent Poison blocking my bandages), was using an old Ornate Axe for this not optimised for the new template and just cast Mirror Image and used bandages.

Also did a couple of Blackthorn Macers, again just Mirror Images and bandages, died once on one mainly because I was trying to type to someone rather than pressing my macros.

With Mirror Images you don't stop swinging while casting them and at 120 skill there is a 90% chance that an enemies physical hit will divert to an Image, when it does it loses target and stands there getting hit. I have 0 FC/FCR and didn't have a problem keeping 4 Images up most of the time against the Blackthorn Master despite the fact that with 100% Hit Lightning landing it causes them to aggro immediately (as would any delayed damage going off).

You also get a nice damage bonus from Focus Attack of around 30%.

This build should also have no problem with Meph, I have done Meph with a Stealth/Thrower just standing toe to toe with Images and bandages.

I am intending to do Paroxysmus' sometime soon to find out if those Images heal him.

I could add to the build slightly by either wearing a robe or epaulettes for a further 5 DCI, 2 MR or 6 stats, I could also add another 5 stats with the Valiant scroll. But these are things I'd rather hunt for than buy.

Animal Form has a dozen benefits for various situations.

Blackthorn Macer (skills not complete yet):
View attachment 32356
I have a sampire with 120 bushido, tactics, swords, and resist. 99 necro, 81 chiv and 60 parry. Template is epic. How well do you think it would work to just replace my 120 resist with 120 ninja?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Depends on your stats. Are you set up in such a way that 50% EP str and agi pots keep you in the right windows for swing times and HP?

Boontendo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a suit that gives me 70 real dci from polishes. 150 str & dex, 150 hp and 206 stamina along with 25 ssi. I typically use hatchets for bosses as it's the fastest two handed AI weapon with highest damage output for its speed. Resisting spells is definitely a huge help but i'd like to try this template with even more defense from mirror images. I of course am always in vamp form for leeches but if the template works like I hope then that might not have to be the case any more.