• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My journey that has brought me to Guild Wars 2

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have played many MMORPG over the years. The one that broke my MMO cherry was Ultima Online. The game was so diverse, so unique and very, very new concept to me than any console game I had played before it. UO really had no end. I could Role-play, I could PvE, I could PvP, I could do so much in the world. The game just didn’t end. Many players considered it a sandbox game. I was very fun but I craved more when other companies started making MMO’s and enticing me to try them out.

My next step was Dark age of Camelot. The graphics of 3d blew me away. The uniqueness of choosing a side to play and defend and fight against two others enemies in the RvR areas. Swimming underwater, defending outposts and castles, flying in the air for travel, questing, and so much more. Was one of my best experiences at RvR that was so epic to me.

I was tripped by accident into Guild Wars 1. Instantly the best graphics I ever experienced in any game to date. Tons of quests, instanced world, PvP, and plenty of expansions to keep me busy. I never felt pressured to play all the time since I only had to pay for the game once from the box. First time I felt if I wanted to take a break I could and the game would still be there for me when I returned from my real life journeys.

My journey continued to dabble back with Ultima Online from time to time and playing Guild Wars 1 and I stumbled upon Warhammer Online. Same concept as DaoC but only two sides fighting each other. Was a blast at first fighting all over and leveling my characters. The game had so much to do but so many issues. I am definitely into PvP and was really fun. I always had a nagging feeling in the back of my head telling me that DaoC was just so much better. In the end when I walked away from the game I just felt Mythic should of did a DaoC 2 instead of a copy cat that wasn’t so much of a copy.

So I focused on Guild Wars 1 only. I had kicked the Ultima Online habit finally. GW1 is still very fun to me, I can do what I want and when I want. My guild mates were always there. New players always was popping in the guild. I have something to do all the time and with many friends in the game. The game is just so satisfying. Then word leaked out on Guild Wars 2 in the making and I just been waiting and eager to play the game.

Being a tad bit impatient for Guild Wars 2, I stepped into the world of Rift. Again like the other MMO’s was fun at first. Then the same guild that went from Guild Wars 1 into Rift we quickly stepped back into Guild Wars 1. To me,. Rift was to much of a clone of similar MMO’s already out. Just wasn’t my thing anymore. ArenaNet had won my heart in the MMO world over all.

I still play Guild Wars 1 and waiting for the release of Guild Wars 2. The MMO’s before have brought my journey to the doorstep of GW2. With my loyalty to Guild Wars 1 and how ArenaNet has not disappointed me with the quality of the game, I just feel Arenanet wont disappoint me with Guild Wars 2.

I have learned after all these years of playing MMO’s, that even in joy that each game has brought me there were an underlying issues. The game became stale and boring to me. Content in most of the game areas became unplayable because my character became to powerful for that content. Repeatable quests that got boring real fast. Finally, no real journey in the game because I focused on end game content just to compete.

I believe ArenaNet got it right with Guild Wars 2. I believe they actually listened to the players of all games that wanted more then bash this and that and get a prize. I believe ArenaNet will give us players more then we ever wanted from a MMO. I am very excited for this generation of gaming and what this journey Guild Wars 2 will take me. When the GW2 doors finally opens for me, my journey begins a new.