• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My first week of WOW

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! Sums it up. Thanks to the geniuses that decided it was a good idea to use your email as your login. During my first week my email along with who knows how many others was stolen from an email server and all the accounts, including mine, got hacked. I know there were a large number of accounts hacked Friday night. All of my characters were deleted and replaced with characters with names such as "fklljsd" that were used to spam messages about selling gold online. I woke up this morning and found that my account had been banned for spam abuse. I further learned that there is no phone number that you can call Blizzard with, you have to email them (which I did). The canned response says they will look into it and it may be a long time before you here anything - furthermore, there is no way to get any kind of status on the investigation. Looks like I'm out the $100+ I spent buying the game/expansions and game time! I'd say that apparently Blizzard could care less, but since there is no way for me to talk to them about this I really can't say that for sure.

Anyone else get hacked like this recently?

M

mjayg

I did but I added the authenticator to my account and recovered it and was fine. I also emailed Blizzard to let them know what happened and also called their customer service line and put in a GM help request in-game.

First thing, reset your password and add the authenticator to your account.

B

Bud_Weiser

I did but I added the authenticator to my account and recovered it and was fine. I also emailed Blizzard to let them know what happened and also called their customer service line and put in a GM help request in-game.

First thing, reset your password and add the authenticator to your account.
This sucks. It's sad that people need to do crap like this and it ruins things for a lot of people.

I was hacked last January but was able to recover my stuff (Thanks GM Amegon who helped me out) very quickly (2 days or so). I had 2 80's recovered with all of their gear and banks.

I can't stress how much you should get an authenticator. You can get one for free if you have an iPhone/iTouch or just shell out the $9 (I did this.) and it's the best thing.

Plus you get a cool Core Hound Pup.

I hope this does not ruin your opinion of WoW. If you are on Terrokar, shoot me a message and I can help you out with some G's and stuff.

P

Palin

Alagos, I’m sorry this happened to you… that sucks for a first time player.

I also got hacked on Friday nite, May 1st… I logged into my account on Saturday morning to check the auctions and my avatars were all gone… I totally freaked out… and I also had a 3-hour suspension because of foul language and spamming… so I went and changed my p/w (stupid me not realizing that a key logger would pick up that new p/w immediately) and within a half hour I had another 3-hour suspension… long story short: I had planned on buying a new comp this summer, I just bought it then instead. I also ordered an authenticator. Oh, I also had 25 different avatars on different servers that the hackers made, all with names like Shjgtifgh.

Anyway, I did an in-game “open ticket” and got word that they would restore my avatars but it would take a while. They were restored 3 days later. I’m not a heavy-duty WOW player, but I did/do have a level 52 night elf with over 800 gold and a level 25 blood elf with over 300 gold, so I was just devastated.

I also wondered why they decided to use our email addys instead of our account names a while back (this is when they changed it… a few months back you did use your account name, but when they made you change to a Battlenet account, you had to use your email instead). I wish they’d change it back to letting us use our account names again.

Anyway, I hope you’re back playing again, WOW really is fun!

Palin

EDIT: purple font doesn't look good on a dark background... lol