• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] My first MiB

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
I never had a fisher before. So, I tried one out. Up to 77 fishing now. fished up a MiB, went to coordinates and fished up chest. I was surprised didn't need to unlock or untap it. Got 30k gold, lots of gems, some regs, scrolls and some not half bad armor and weps. I've never had to fight any sea monsters yet. Was hoping to just cast a fire ele and invi self and let him do the fighting. But, to my chagrin, was not able to summon in the area the MiB was in?!?

So, lucky, since I didn't have to fight yet, I was able to go back and stone on some skills like eval, music and peace, med for a fight.

my questions are these:

1)why cant I summon in certain areas at sea?

2)is having GM mage, med, eval, music and peace enough to kill most stuff?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the only way you would not be able to summon is if you were inside a guard zone somehow. If you have a reptile or snake slayer (I believe those are the 2) spell book equipped, a couple e-bolts will take out any serpent that might spawn when fishing up the chest.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just the actual fishing, along with tossing non-white special fishing nets, will occasionally require fighting - MIBs/SOS are spawn free.

That said, many 1-2 slot pets, and any of the mage/SW/mystic summons, are more than enough to kill the spawn, unless you get an unfortunate net toss that gets 2-3 kraken.

White nets are special (and require some preparation - especially if you have High Seas and can bring up a Scalis).

Wandering spawn is hardly much more difficult that fishing up stuff.

The biggest potential therefore are the pirate ships.

As for being unable to summon, I think this might be an issue off of the east coast of Serpent's Hold (in what counts as shallow water as well), between the islands of Jhelom or Vesper, Moonglow Bay, the waters inside the Floating Emporium buoys, etc. Also, close to shore on cities. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Note that you can cast summons outside those guard zones, then sail into them, with the summons functioning normally.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the only way you would not be able to summon is if you were inside a guard zone somehow. If you have a reptile or snake slayer (I believe those are the 2) spell book equipped, a couple e-bolts will take out any serpent that might spawn when fishing up the chest.
Ya, I think I was just outside NuJel’m maybe that is why I couldn't summon. But when I realized I couldn't, btw at this moment I didn't realize I could fish up an SOS without fighting either, I soul'ed on GM resist, eval and med. But, yea, it would be nice to just let summon do work. I'm not lucky, so I don't think I will encounter ancient SOS, and don't really want to throw a net just to kill a monster yet. LOL

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Barsa, where are the pirate ships? And how do I avoid them? LOL Do I need high seas? I did not upgrade yet.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
High seas is worth it for the increased house storage and better ships - fishing goes to 120 now (And you really can't get there without High Seas).

The pirates (and merchant vessels should you want to go into piracy yourself) are mostly found between Jhelom, Yew and Serpent's hold - but can be anywhere.

One of the classics was during the demo of High Seas at a meetup in the Bioware Mythic offices before its release, Calvin decided to do a live demo of the ships and combat with pirates on the internal test server, then pulled a Lord British and forgot to set his God Mode = on. He ran into a pirate ship right outside the buoy line at the Floating Emporium, and they killed him before he could get a shot off. All while people were livestreaming the demo...

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
They are common, some people buy for deco but most dump for clean-up points. I usually dump most of the chest and all of the fished up items for clean-up points.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Oh, one more thing, please. How do I make the tiller man work automatically? I heard that if you plot a course on a map and give it to the tillerman, hell take you directly their. I put cart on my fisherman and made a sea map and plotted a course and gave the map to the tillerman and he said "a map!" and then didn't do anything.

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Say "Start". "Continue" is also useful once you are on your journey and are stopped for any reason.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Should I keep all the new fish kinds like grouper and such for when I do a fishing quest later? So far I have a chest in my house with stacks of like 30 different kinds. LOL

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Should I keep all the new fish kinds like grouper and such for when I do a fishing quest later? So far I have a chest in my house with stacks of like 30 different kinds. LOL
Yes, that will be helpful. Although I find the crabs and lobsters the most difficult (read that as annoying) to get.