• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] My first lava fish

B

Beastmaster

Well I hit Legendary fishing yesterday crabbing near Papua. I crabbed there from about 115 skill to 120 and never caught a stone crab. So tonight I decided to do the quest to enter the Abyss with my fisher. Easily got that done now that the day/night spawn in the holy city is working. So I headed into the Abyss in search of a lava fish only to get to my desired spot and see that I had forgotten my lava poles. DOH! Grabbed some poles and headed back.

At my first few spots after 4-5 casts it would say the fish weren't biting. Finally I hit a spot were I seemed to be able to almost endlessly cast. Woot! Fish on! Landed a 177 stone lava fish! The next cast the fish quit biting. Moved a little ways and cast again and my pole's magic expired. Grabbed another pole and made a few more casts and bam! Got my second lava fish. This was a small one, 50 stones.

Then I realized my other mistake. I had gone in loaded with ammo and bandages and was overweight. Paged a friend and got my 2 trophies out of there. It was a nice fishing trip and enjoyable game experience for a change. :thumbsup:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you use bait? Do you have to be Legendary to catch them, or can you catch them at lower skill?

Stayin Alive,

BG

B

Beastmaster

I did not use bait. The infamous Mark said it only increases your chances by 1-2% so why bother. As to skill, I think I've seen some mention catching them at 110 or perhaps lower in some other threads. I think it's only the absolute rarest of fish, the ones only good for mounting, that require 120.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did not use bait. The infamous Mark said it only increases your chances by 1-2% so why bother.

Ain't that depressing ?

Perhaps some 90% of fishing order rewards are baits which are not really that much usefull at all......

Basically, fishing orders are then what ?

An endless waste of time to get rewards which for the most part are useless ?

Wow. I know why I am feeling depressed now.........

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congrats on the nice fat lava fish Beast Master.

I'm waiting to hear your experiences and results when you start using lava traps. My hubby with 120 fishing has tried lava traps, and has never gotten anything but the fish aren't biting here message.

We also noticed there are no Lava Crabs, or Lava Lobsters, listed in the rare fish pages. Could it be the Void Lobster, or Void Crab bait that would get used on the lava traps? If I'm not mistaken the abyss would be concidered the void? Hence lava equals void?

B

Beastmaster

I tried traps today in the Abyss. It *appears* that each time you should get a "bob" you instead get a "the fish aren't biting here". I let 5 traps sit through 3 such messages, which takes about 5 minutes, and eventually lost 1 trap. I pulled the rest up and moved around trying several spots, but the results were the same everywhere.

I tried some when my skill was between 110-115 at Mt. Sho, but they didn't "bob" there either.

In all cases I never caught anything at all.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried traps today in the Abyss. It *appears* that each time you should get a "bob" you instead get a "the fish aren't biting here". I let 5 traps sit through 3 such messages, which takes about 5 minutes, and eventually lost 1 trap. I pulled the rest up and moved around trying several spots, but the results were the same everywhere.

I tried some when my skill was between 110-115 at Mt. Sho, but they didn't "bob" there either.

In all cases I never caught anything at all.
Same thing we ran into. (Hubby trapping, and me watching, lol) What do you think about the void crab bait? Think it may be for the lava traps?

B

Beastmaster

I've seen one report somewhere of a "void something" being caught in Ter Mur, so I don't think so. I think the lava traps are just busted. I hate to say it, because if they fix them, they'll probably destroy my luck I'm having with lava poles on lava fish. The two *shouldn't* be related, but stranger things can happen with our Dev team.

S

soulstoner

Wow Beastmaster ! Congrats on your legendary fishing attainment

and landing the gigantor lava fish....;) - I used to bag-o-send the heavy mud puppies and red herrings when they were a nifty pole bend from there. Easy quest to get the bags and charges too for a diversion keeping one char friend of hive. Never leave home without em.

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Congrats on getting your 120 and first lava fish. Here is a happy puppy for you.

Must admit I only have a GM fisher, have had High Seas 2 months and I am itching to start fishing. Got a few characters to finish before I start fishing again mind :)

My god can anyone post success on fishing without you wingeing / whining about something? You is sad sack puppy Popps.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My god can anyone post success on fishing without you wingeing / whining about something? You is sad sack puppy Popps.

I have the hope that perhaps, just perhaps, seeing what is wrong and not working well with fishing the Developers might fix it and make the whole fishing experience in Ultima Online a much better one.

If there are no complaints or too few, the Developers might mistakengly think that all is well and nice with fishing and not bother doing anything to fix whatever problems there may be with it.

We got fishing in the game, cool. But why can't we get it made better ?

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well whinein on every positive thread (and infact every other thread) about your fishing issues is doing a jolly good job so far :thumbsup:

G

Gowron

Ain't that depressing ?

Perhaps some 90% of fishing order rewards are baits which are not really that much usefull at all......

Basically, fishing orders are then what ?

An endless waste of time to get rewards which for the most part are useless ?

Wow. I know why I am feeling depressed now.........
If it's worthless and a waste of time, why do you keep going at it?

Is the system perfect? Probably not, but as far as I can tell it is working, for the most part, as the Dev's advertised.

You've done your part to communicate what you have seen as defficiencies in the game. It has been noted, anything after this is useless banter on your part. I'd say your work is done with regards to fishing.

Now, you've got a choice. You can either play the game within the bounds as it is now, or move on to something else until such time as your "fixes" are adopted. Being that the Dev's likely have bigger fish to fry, no pun intended, I can see you having a long wait.