• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"MY" favorite thief build

S

ShadowJack

all the uproar over disarm thieves made me laugh

I've had one or two and loved playing it, but it wasn't my favorite unless I was doing pvp

the favorite that I always used pre AOS and post aos was more of a dungeon/field/idoc thief that wasn't ever meant to kill anyone

I liked using detect hidden (great for idocs, and dungeons as it doesn't reveal you and the hiding player may be afk, so that the spawn or pks can kill them)

stealing (duh), snooping, hiding, stealth, tracking (gotta find those marks in these dead times) and magery for the mark spell, the invis, the cure/heal/teleport etc..

I never needed to take the skills to 120 really, a 7x gm char using these skills works well.

I also like a variation of this with healing/anat in the place of tracking and detect

S

ShadowJack

simple things, like running around a house corner, teleporting out of field of sight (fos) and dropping items like a book case to break line of sight can be enough of a small edge to get away.

stealing things the victim or attacker would need, such as regs for healing and paralyze, bandies for healing or weps for attacking are good if possible.

if they don't use pots, carry a dpd wep, steal the method of cure like bandies or regs

and after they attack you, dp them and watch them either run or die, all while you make a getaway.

paladins are proof to this with chiv and no items needed, and necros have a similar spell

you have to chose your tactics and your marks carefully

DaveSP!

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pre aos i went with snooping stealing hiding stealth (one of the few with it) fencing healing anat. No one saw you coming, and generally speaking people would leg it the minute you hit them with a DPed kryss, giving you plenty of time to run away.

After AOS went with snooping stealing hiding stealth magery eval int med - was a good template, expecially after SE - just have protection and steal cast invis on yourself then your home free + it gives the advantage that you can kill someone fighting a monster (wait till they're at half health then just hit them with everything you can)giving you more loot for your time!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
On prodo shards I'm running

Stealing 112.3 67.3
Hiding 100.0 100.0
Snooping 100.0 92.2
Stealth 100.0 75.0
Ninjitsu 97.8 82.8
Poisoning 80.0 80.0
Chivalry 72.7 72.7
Fencing 70.0 70.0
Tactics 70.0 70.0

I use Shadow Dancers and a Burglars Bandanna, +15 Steal and a +15 Ninjitsu Jewel to round those off.

I'm still adjusting some of the skills around a bit, but the basis is having an effective thief, and a character with a minor ability in offense to take care of AFK people in Fel and Script runners. Lethal Strike 80% of the time really is nice though.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Stealing
100 Hiding
100 Snooping
80 Stealth

All others are icing on the cake. I must say, I do enjoy soulstones...la

S

ShadowJack

soulstones are good

but run a field thief with detect and tracking and see what you think

I LOVE to reveal people at idocs and in dungeons, well everywhere really

If they haven't changed it, then you only need 30ish tracking to find someone most of the time.

And when you cause people to die afk in a dungeon because they thought they were safe hiding, it's really funny

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have detect at 100, and run it all the time. I find most hiders on Siege when they are doing their banking. I may have to train up tracking. I used to keep it on my template when you could use just 20.1 in the skill.

Detect is nice to use when players are in dungeons and think they can hide from the beasties. They may be training or picking the chests, it's funny to watch them use hide, and then quickly get revealed. I use this more for looting than for anything else...la