• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] My 2017 T-Hunter Template re-vamp

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
over the years ive changed my Treasure Hunters template to match spawn and levels and such.
ive gone from a tamer to a macer to a provo bard to my current iteration - just a pure mage.

so i was sitting there the other night popping a level 6 map and looking for a level 7 and i thought to myself.
here im sitting on my pack beetle to carry away all my loot - when i do level 1-3 maps i just use my fully trained pack beetle and my Vollum...... maybe i should look at changing over to a tamer once again and making a level 5 pack beetle?

next day i went to work and i was pondering that.
by the time i got home from work i was locked in.
i was gonna change my template back to a Thunter tamer and crank up a pack beetle to a monster, that way i can kill all the spawn with him AND put all the loot on him as well!

so i did it!

picked up a advanced character token, stoned off all my skills, ate token, worked up taming to a usable level, revamped my suit to buff up taming, put skills back on.
took my fully trained beetle and put him into leveling up mode and im juuuuust finishing off the last level right now as i type this.

so looking forward to using this new super hyped up beetle on the spawn!

110 Magic
100 med
105 taming
105 animal lore
100 cartography
100 lockpicking

for last skill i have a choice - on my soulstones i have 100 mining, 100 vet 100 fishing and 100 detect hidden so i can put on whichever one i need.

suit has the mark of the travesty mask with +10 taming/lore and i have the taming tali so that puts me to 120 taming and 120 animal lore.
had to remake my luck suit specifically my ring and bracelet but was an easy fix, just needed to put +15 taming on one and +15 lore on the other (with 1/2 and 100 luck).

fun week of messing around to do the change over.
will be interesting to see how a level 6 and 7 are with the beetle!
i moved over a extra trained 5 slot Cu and a GD in case the pack beetle dosnt work out for the higher end maps.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I've run a couple of t-hunters recently, and on my tamer t-hunter my template is similar to your, and his taming is 120 with a Mastery III so I can do Consume Damage.

I can tell you that even with a fully trained pet the spawn can be tricky. I dropped mining (I don't really need it, I can usually get within 1-2 steps just by eyeballing) and put on Vet instead.

Since I'm soloing, trying to get a pet ressed while on a timer before the chest disappears can be tricky. The NPC vet never cooperates, and I've resorted to logging into a 2nd accound to use another tamer.

Being able to res my own pet in the middle of a hunt is very handy.

Vet is only 60 though, and I add a ring/bracelet for an extra 25 points temporarily when ressing.

I've done some Level 6's in Ilsh with him. I've learned to sit on the pet and run off and deal with the spawn in smaller groups. They don't hold up will to 8 guardians consistently.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another option is to get a 3-slot rune beetle, train it up to 4 slots (going for resists, regens and DPI), and take a 1-slot giant beetle as a mount.

My tamer (alas, not my T-hunter) loves his 5-slot giant beetle, and I wish I could afford to stick enough taming on my T-hunter to train his beetle up to 2 slots.

Oh, and if any of you have 3-slot beetles on non-tamers that you are emotionally attached to, if you want to take a week to "fix" them, you can release a 3-slot giant or fire beetle, retame it with its owner (you can always retame a released valid pet of your own, even with no taming), and when you retame it, it will be down to one slot. Then, you just got to rebond it. That way, you can free up 2 control slots for more summons on mages or weavers. Edit: Stupid exploiters caused this to get taken away from the pets that actually needed fixed.

Last edited:

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
have been out doing maps this week with the new template, loving it!

a guild mate came with and brought a disco tamer.
we ate through about 5 x level 6 maps in minutes.
as fast as i could pull stuff out of the chest then onto the next.
just dumped everything straight into bags in the pack beetle and destroyed anything that spawned.

i could probably do it solo, just run back on the initial hit of monsters and chew through them one at a time if i had too.
gonna go test to see what level of map i can do solo with no problem, im guessing probably 5.
i had concerns about not having vet and just healing and curing with Margery but it hasn't been anywhere near a problem as of yet.

nice thing is i can do 2 maps back to back and just drop everything into the beetle before i need to go to the house and unload the 2 bags into the 'unraveling chests'.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Geez seems like a lot of work using a tamer, with my peace/provo t hunter the only issue I have is if I let a single GD or AW survive then I need to kill it with my archer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know this is an old thread, but can you suggest a template for a new T-hunter? Playing for 18 years, and have never tried one. Have just about every skill available on stones. Need something I can run solo with, and something that isn't too complex for a new T-hunter :) also, is a luck suit a must? Can I get decent loot with 1500ish luck?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ironically, my secondary T-Hunter (not the GM of the local chapter of THB), is the one I play the most - and OMG is she gonna be busy after Khaldun wraps up (I've gotten several HUNDRED t-maps of levels 2-6 from the puzzle chests - and some of the chests have had TWO MAPS, including one streak of 4 chests out of 5 having 2 maps).

The template I have on her is

Elf
Skills with equipment
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
110 Magery
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
120 Points split between mining and eval (mining going up, eval going down)

However, I'm currently juggling some of the skills (I am using an antique ring, and am looking to replace my ring and bracelet with less Taming, and more magery & vet)

She does most of her maps with a giant beetle.

I personally don't worry too much about luck. Anything in the 1000+ range is great, but I don't get there without using the 10th anny luck statue (having to slowly work on improving my suit, with my more commonly used characters getting higher priority).

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Mine are unchanged.

upload_2018-11-24_6-45-49.png

and

upload_2018-11-24_6-46-23.png

I prefer Sphyr, he's been around the longest, and he used to have Provo when that was a thing. I use Thraso for all my Ilshenar maps since he hunts with a beetle and can dry-loot the entire chest without recalling to the bank.

I have a 3rd character but I've never found a good template that wasn't just like one of the first two.