• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mutant Seeds from Cross-Pollination

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did a search on the forum and didn't find any threads asking this particular question, so I thought I'd throw it out there. I understand there's a 1% chance to get black or white seeds from a particular cross-pollination effort. However, I wondered if anyone has noticed any kind of pattern at all to getting these mutant seeds? I know most people are probably getting their black and white seeds from the naturalist quest but I kind of hate doing it on Siege....

I'm in the process of trying to cross pollinate the regular seeds to get all the plant types and colors on Siege and have kept track of the couple of cross-pollinations that have resulted in black or white seeds during the last couple of weeks. They are as follows:

Red poppies x red poppies (one plant gave white poppies seeds)

Red lilies x red lilies (one plant is going to give black lilies seeds)

Plain campion x blue fern (the plain campion gave black lilies seeds)

Red campion x purple small palm (red campion gave black pampas grass seeds)

Yellow campion x orange lilies (yellow campion gave black snowdrops seeds)

I hesitate to say there's any kind of pattern here, but I do wonder. Therefore, I'm planning to start more plants in all these colors and try the same cross-pollinations again to see what the results are. Just wondered if anyone else has seen white or black seeds from these same cross-pollinations, or maybe noticed anything else unusual.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's always been random for me. So what I do is cross all the resources bearing plants that I grow, since I'm growing them anyway. Good luck. :)

Plant Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's completely random for me too. In the 4 years I've been growing plants, I've never seen any sort of patern. Mostly just luck (or unluck in some cases) goes into getting mutants.

At one time I was growing over 200 campions in my home trying to get mutants and I got zero.

Another time I was growing 50 assorted plants and got 2 black mutants and 1 white.

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, Mutant (black/White) plants only come from cross-pollination I believe, not from the naturalist quest.

I found this in the FAQs above about the mutant plants:

The only confirmed way to increase your chance of getting mutants is to cross-pollinate as many plants as you can! Eventually you will get some. There is, however, quite a bit of superstition related to mutants - some gardeners keep "lucky father" plants in a secured container and use these for cross-pollinating in hopes of producing more mutants. A "lucky father" plant is the pollen-donor in a cross-pollination that resulted in mutant seeds. Additionally, some gardeners prize "lucky fathers" that are Healthy or Vibrant but have red or yellow '+' signs for infestation and/or fungus. The "lucky father" approach is, as I have stated, mere superstition and has never been confirmed by developers or scientifically proven to be effective. This hasn't stopped me from keeping my own secure full of "lucky fathers", and using these when cross-pollinating. Do I get more mutants this way? I have no idea, but I *feel* luckier when I use them

Hope that helps!

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, Mutant (black/White) plants only come from cross-pollination I believe, not from the naturalist quest.

I found this in the FAQs above about the mutant plants:

The only confirmed way to increase your chance of getting mutants is to cross-pollinate as many plants as you can! Eventually you will get some. There is, however, quite a bit of superstition related to mutants - some gardeners keep "lucky father" plants in a secured container and use these for cross-pollinating in hopes of producing more mutants. A "lucky father" plant is the pollen-donor in a cross-pollination that resulted in mutant seeds. Additionally, some gardeners prize "lucky fathers" that are Healthy or Vibrant but have red or yellow '+' signs for infestation and/or fungus. The "lucky father" approach is, as I have stated, mere superstition and has never been confirmed by developers or scientifically proven to be effective. This hasn't stopped me from keeping my own secure full of "lucky fathers", and using these when cross-pollinating. Do I get more mutants this way? I have no idea, but I *feel* luckier when I use them

Hope that helps!
Tina.... Error on the white/black. I've either forgotten this or its new since its been a long time since I have grown plants.

Now when you return to the Naturalist he will applaud your good work and give you a small reward consisting of a single mutated plant seed, grown by a botanist friend of his. If you only studied the four normal nests the seed will be either Aqua, Magenta of Pink colored, but if you visited the fifth nest too, the seed will be a special Fire Red, black or white colored seed.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And the easiest way to get to that 5th off nest is by using a green thorn in sand. No jumping down any the static holes to find the 5th.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I crossed bright green snake plants with bright orange poppies and got my first mutant (black) in a while.