• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Multi boxing? Is having 2 toons following a main char multi boxing?

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
following other characters is called Multi-clienting.
multi-boxing is if they all cast the same spells at the exact same time
(one key stroke controlling them all)

(what Anon referenced (AUTO FOLLOW) is in the pamplet that came with the 9th anniversary collection CD)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone have the full TCS on multi boxing?

If you have a char follow your main and switch between to use commands?
As long as each character actions (excluding the auto-follow) are controlled independently then it’s legal (multi-clienting).

If all characters are controlled simultaneously it is illegal (multi-boxing). Multi-boxing would negate the need to use auto-follow since any movement command would pass through to all characters at the same time.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Multi boxing requires specific software that allows the same key strokes and mouse commands to be passed to every open version of the client.
I don't know what that software is, and I don't want to know. I want to PLAY uo. Cheating is not playing.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
just because a person is not multi-boxing doesnt mean they arent cheating, using illegal programs to auto heal, cure, auto trap box etc... when someone uses 5 plus accounts/chars, the chances of them using something that is considered illegal is very high. it would be interesting if they got rid of the follow command and made them actually have to play all those chars. we must remember, if it can be exploited, abused or scripted, it will be. the devs know this and from what ive seen, they have given up. just my opinions

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
just because a person is not multi-boxing doesnt mean they arent cheating, using illegal programs to auto heal, cure, auto trap box etc... when someone uses 5 plus accounts/chars, the chances of them using something that is considered illegal is very high. it would be interesting if they got rid of the follow command and made them actually have to play all those chars. we must remember, if it can be exploited, abused or scripted, it will be. the devs know this and from what ive seen, they have given up. just my opinions
I’m not sure that multiple clients has anything to do with the use of scripts (in EC or 3rd party for CC) for the uses you describe.

Automating routine or tedious tasks, or improving response time can be just as advantageous for single client activities…ie pvp, skill training, looting, etc.

Scripts also have their disadvantages as well for attended players as they can interrupt or interfere with player initiated commands.

For my part I’ve invested plenty in my computer/monitor setup and my time practicing to be able to multi-client with pretty decent success… and I’m far from the only one. My playtime is more limited these days so I want to maximize my time in game. Removing auto follow would ruin a fair number of players gaming style and result in one of two things: more multi boxing or more closed accounts, neither of which is in the best interest of the game.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And I thought you were also a very vocal moderator at the other forums. My bad :rolleyes:
Since you are not a UO player you may not understand that some of us wear many hats in life and can keep them separate.

I guess you think Merlin had a say in UO when this was the official forum.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since you are not a UO player you may not understand that some of us wear many hats in life and can keep them separate.

I guess you think Merlin had a say in UO when this was the official forum.
Thank you for spelling it out. Sarcasm doesn't go well with you. Besides being "merely a player" like me or you, she is also a moderator at the official forums. So her narrative fits well with Broadsword. GM Rivers said all you need to know about multiboxing. They know but they pretend they don't.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They know but they pretend they don't.
As long as you are attended and don't keep your macros in EC repeating when the GM talks to you, you will be fine.

I been trying to state the truth for a long time. But I get called meanie and a scripter even tho I use basic CC. I can't even figure out its dress macro and probably wouldn't use it anyway. Undertakers staff dresses me. I'm still in the toothpick jammed to hold down a key stage of technology.
But others have advanced since they are using a computer to play UO.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as you are attended and don't keep your macros in EC repeating when the GM talks to you, you will be fine.

I been trying to state the truth for a long time. But I get called meanie and a scripter even tho I use basic CC. I can't even figure out its dress macro and probably wouldn't use it anyway. Undertakers staff dresses me. I'm still in the toothpick jammed to hold down a key stage of technology.
But others have advanced since they are using a computer to play UO.
It's better than UOAssist iyam since it's instant. Have to have a "record dress #" macro to record what you're wearing and then a "dress #" macro (of the same number) to actually put on or swap that recorded dress. It's well worth figuring out. Works similar for weapons.