• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Moving our of the NE should I switch shards

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hi There,

I've been playing in Atlantic for a few years. Enough to build all my characters, join an awesome guild and own a house that I really like. I love UO, but I am a casual player so I only have and maintain one account.

I am moving from Vermont (northeast) to South California (West) in two months. Should I consider leaving Atlantic? should I expect lag if I stay in Atlantic?

I really don't want to leave ATL...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It depends on what you do that you might be able to play on Atl without any problems. I would wait till you are settled in and test Alt to see before moving.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I find that TEXAS, the GREATEST State in America (shameless plug), has good ping to any North American shard. So you should relocate there!

But, to stay on topic, I think you will be fine playing ATL. It will depend more on your internet speed than anything else.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Atlantic is not my home shard but I have little problems playing there from Arkansas. Bit of Lag in Luna but event wise is doable.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
When you get to your new place, sort shards by ping. Try and test them out to get a feel for the impact of lag.... I live in CA and can play on Atlantic with a 200 ping or Pacific/Origin/Baja with 25 ping. The difference is huge, It's just as harmful to play with 200 ms ping as it is to play drunk! It makes all the difference for life and death, fun, and success in the game. I like Atlantic but I would never play there, I only go to shop and then I go back to my home shard.