• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Most Anticipated MMO?

L

Lairkingo

What MMO are you guys anticipating the most? WAR for me definitely. That said - it seems like MMOs are in a downhill spiral.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darkfall Online

http://www.darkfallonline.com/features/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlV3iTzAf9U

And Mortal Online

www.mortalonline.com (also watch trail here.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsUi80jOE4

Those are the two that I am waiting for, and if they are vapoware, then someone eventually will come out with a game of this style of play, there is a crowed out there waiting for a true sandbox MMO, we're sick of the World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Everquest, Lineage, LOTRO, DDO, Tabula Rasa, play style, it is the same damn thing, same features, same level grind.... EVE has the most ideal developers and the best principles but horrible gameplay.. So becaue I don't want to play another game that reminds me of Everquest and WoW style of play, I will not be playing WAR..

A

Azureal

Darkfall Online

http://www.darkfallonline.com/features/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlV3iTzAf9U

And Mortal Online

www.mortalonline.com (also watch trail here.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsUi80jOE4

Those are the two that I am waiting for, and if they are vapoware, then someone eventually will come out with a game of this style of play, there is a crowed out there waiting for a true sandbox MMO, we're sick of the World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Everquest, Lineage, LOTRO, DDO, Tabula Rasa, play style, it is the same damn thing, same features, same level grind.... EVE has the most ideal developers and the best principles but horrible gameplay.. So becaue I don't want to play another game that reminds me of Everquest and WoW style of play, I will not be playing WAR..
Darkfall for me too, and whilst Im not normally a negative guy, I dont like our hopes of this ever seeing the light of day. I'll keep on hoping though.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me personally... WAR and AOC. The industry... WAR and AOC.

That said - it seems like MMOs are in a downhill spiral.
I doubt it, just a lull while every studio is trying to either figure out how to be the next WoW or be a successful niche in a WoW world.

C

Cybrdragon

Warhammer Online, and the hopefully soon to be made Warhammer 40k MMO. I am a Games Workshop game/fiction/universe fanatic.

F

firezign

That said - it seems like MMOs are in a downhill spiral.
I agree with Nok. If you see what kind of investments take place in that sector you wonder sometimes how this should be refinanced. I think this especially is a growing market, even if or just because WoW is on top of the list.

T

Thorstein

I really want Fallout Online, but for now AoC will have to do.

E

Eldorian

I'm really excited to see what Blizzard has in store for their next MMO project. I think we'll hear the announcement sometime this year. Possibly at the event in Paris next month of at Blizzcon in October.

K

Kiminality

Stargate Worlds.
Initially, I was a little enthusiastic, because of the franchise. A WoW clone, based on a franchise I enjoy is obviously going to appeal to me somewhat.
Then, I got reading, and rather than cloning an already popular game, to steal a slice of the MMO churn, they seem to be trying new things, to make it appeal to a different cross-section of MMO players.
Who knows...

C

Chiaki

Been waiting for Darkfall ever since it was announced 7 years ago. It's everything that UO 2 could have been. Will probably give Warhammer Online a go aswell.

S

Skado

pre-ordered age of conan so gunna see how that is, then prob try WAR a little later and darkfall also, growing out of mmos slightly a massive time sink ive been addicted to for 7-8 years, more casual gamer now.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm really excited to see what Blizzard has in store for their next MMO project. I think we'll hear the announcement sometime this year. Possibly at the event in Paris next month of at Blizzcon in October.
/Agreed. It'll be interesting to see what Blizzard has planned next for a MMO. Just a guess, either... a Diablo or Starcraft MMO. Ya I'm hoping to attend BlizzCon this year. :)

Stargate Worlds.
Initially, I was a little enthusiastic, because of the franchise. A WoW clone, based on a franchise I enjoy is obviously going to appeal to me somewhat.
Then, I got reading, and rather than cloning an already popular game, to steal a slice of the MMO churn, they seem to be trying new things, to make it appeal to a different cross-section of MMO players.
Who knows...
I totally forgot about Stargate. Industry hype is expecting Stargate to be right up there with AOC and WAR.

D

DarkChronus

I agree with Nok. If you see what kind of investments take place in that sector you wonder sometimes how this should be refinanced. I think this especially is a growing market, even if or just because WoW is on top of the list.
It's a growing market and I honestly think it'll grow for quite a while. As time progresses you'll see more typically offline and single player games (RPGs and other genres) starting to merge more into MMO style games. You're already seeing games start to become more online enabled across consoles like PC games have over the years.

Besides, once WoW finally does start to topple (and based on any previous MMO's history... it should start slowly bleeding subscribers at some point in the next couple years)... people are going to be looking for something else to flock to and every company is going to be wanting to be there to take that place.

With that said, I'm not really looking at any forthcoming games really. I'm satisfied where I am currently. Final Fantasy XI and Lord of the Rings Online take up enough of my time ;)

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm,

I'd definitely have to say Aion: The Tower of Eternity is my pick for the MMORPG that I'm really looking forward to. I've kept track of this bugger for years now, and from the glimpses I've seen so far? Simply stunning. In fact, it's so stunning that I need to run around my house a few times, naked, while ingesting some good ol' rice wine, also known as sake. I'll be back...

Okay, I'm back. Where was I? Oh yes. NCSoft is developing this game, and the Dev team have been extremely receptive and open-minded to the closed beta testers, so that's always a good sign.

The graphics and music are just amazing, and even though I'm not a huge fan of a level-based system (I do have exceptions to my self-imposed rule, of course), I am extremely excited with the development of this MMORPG so far. There are sites that have great information and footage of the game for those of you who are interested. There's just a plethora of information on the game which is too numerous to list, and I'm somewhat inebriated so I must spend my time wisely while posting this.

The game has elements that will definitely appeal to many people. Some highlights include the obvious like the gorgeous graphics and the inspiring music. Others include the ability to eventually fly (flight time is limited and yes, you can PvP in the air as well) when one fulfills the requisites and becomes a Daeva (a person will have the ability to customize/upgrade their blinkin' wings as well), a Crafting system, two selectable factions with VERY unique looks (this could, of course, change), various Classes with the ability to specialize even further through the use of stigmas. Hmm, what else? PvP, raids, and mass PvP in the Abyss (which is going to be introduced in the upcoming closed beta). It was stated that there will be pretty kosher rewards if one spends time in the Abyss. Risk vs. reward is always a good thing. There's a feature that I found extremely interesting that pertains to the open PvP in the Abyss. Depending on how well or bad a faction is doing, a third NPC faction will intervene, and they'll either help or hinder you depending on how each side is doing. I think that's a great idea, a good way to offer a "Checks and Balance" system. It was recently announced that there will be an integrated voice chat system which is always nice for drunken talks of wisdom and stupidity. Again, these are just some of the features of the game.

I will go on the record and say that some of Aion's features are present in other games; furthermore, I'll go one step further and say that nowadays, the market is saturated with online games and it's difficult to sift through and find that certain game that has that "certain something" to it that will be unique and stand alone. I will say that Aion has that "it factor" going on for me, and from the things that I've seen and read so far, I'm definitely going to check it out.

A

ajdown@jp

http://www.jumpgateevolution.com/

Having played the 'original' Jumpgate Online for a while, but gave up due to lack of people on (and not being a pvp'er frustration too) I look forward to seeing what happens with the 'next generation' of it.

It was a kinda up to date version of the 80's classic "Elite" - space trade and combat.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My most anticipated used to be Star Trek Online. Then it was Warhammer and the Age of Conan. Now.. it is Stargate Worlds Online!!! Oh yeah!

O

oompaloompa

One game i really enjoyed was Planetside by Sony. Although at the time it was fun, even over the years it is still entertaining even for a short period of time. The problem with it was that the graphics never upgraded and so all of the other games got better looking and plantetside became crappy. I wish they would come out with a similar game. Although it was level based, the best part was that even at level 1 u could jump right in and compete with the highest levels.

L

Lairkingo

Has AoC lived up to expectations for those who listed it above?

O

OmnicronX

GW isn't an MMO in my opinion. Not enough real persistent character-ness.

P

popsicles

I've been stuck in WOW for so long I haven't even been looking at upcoming games. I did see the WAR trailer though, and it has peaked my curiosity.

Bardie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darkfall all the way, game looks awesome and no safe zones...oooo soo happy!!:thumbup1:

Liked WarHammer look but its a EA game and safe zones :(

A

al-Maroc

Darkfall all the way, game looks awesome and no safe zones...oooo soo happy!!:thumbup1:

Liked WarHammer look but its a EA game and safe zones :(
there's Warhammer Online and there's Warhammer 40k, two War MMOs. not sure if W40 has safe zones or not tho

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
StarGate Worlds is one I am highly anticipating.

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

I so love the world of Sosaria/Britannia. All the character choices, skill choices, stat choices, template choices. But those are just our character's births. Then we were given this amazing world to travel, by foot, mount, and ship. All of the creatures to discover (be they friendly, aggressive, or neutral).

Give me the same type experience in Middle Earth, or the Forgotten Realms and I shall be quite delirious.

Sadly though, I doubt those are ever coming. Worse still will be if they ARE coming...for where could I ever find time for those whilst playing my beloved Ultima Online???

An SoS

Bardie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darkfall resembles (definately not graphically :p) UO's first days, i really hope it comes out soon, or at least LET ME IN BETA!!!

C

ChewingGumWarrior

Darkfall is never coming out. Ever. It's 4 years overdue.

V

ValenceTrident

Darkfall has just had a few delays. The game is still going strong and RazorWax has set a firm date for it's release.

K

Kunou

Honestly now that Conan is here I don't know... Never been a hige Stargate fan (I know I know, I should turn in my geek card) so the MMO doesn't do much for me...

I've gone through my Darkfall phases over the past several years, currently in a "could care less" phase.

Honestly, I would love to see a solid sports MMO released, preferably american football based, but baseball would work I guess. I know Sierra has that basketball one already, but meh. Been playing GLB a lot lately, something like that, minus all the funkyness (most of which is due to it being in beta) and more playable, less sim like and I'd be in heaven...

C

ChewingGumWarrior

Darkfall has just had a few delays. The game is still going strong and RazorWax has set a firm date for it's release.
Razorwax are a scam.